crummy stationary fronts

Old August 21st 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

Default crummy stationary fronts

I don't think any kind of weather is as irritating to me as these
summertime stationary fronts that just drape themselves through the
midwest, generating day after day of fog, rain, drizzle, low clouds,
tstorms. Very little wind, air so stagnant that it too is
irritating. I tried to fly from Chicago to Albuquerque along one of
these once. As long as I was able to stay north of it, it was nice
weather when tailwinds, but trying to penetrate it produced one night
in Dodge City and another forced landing at Tucumcari - ended up
driving the rest of the way in a rented 95 buick with 100000 miles on
the clock.

Old August 21st 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Ditto!
Those are the exact conditions we've been experiencing here in central WI
for the past 4 days. Sunday we launched into a 700 ft overcast of
mist/fog/rain, layered to FL240, and headed north east to Mackinac Island,
MI. There we were blessed with 70F temps, light winds, and a beautiful
sun-shiny day. We had a great time roaming around the island, basking in
the sun, and eating too much sugar. Late that afternoon we left that
glorious sun shine and headed south west, back into the soup which required
us to shoot a GPS approach into STE that barely got us in. While we were
gone, we'd had over 3" of rain. Another inch Sunday evening, and yet
another inch last night. Highest ceiling reported over the last 3 days has
been 1100.

It's still rainy and foggy here today with no end in sight. Take me back to
the drought we had only last week! A drought I can fix, but this is
impossible!
Jim

Old August 21st 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
"Jim Burns" wrote:

It's still rainy and foggy here today with no end in sight. Take me back to
the drought we had only last week! A drought I can fix, but this is
impossible!

Whiner!

:-)
Old August 21st 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jim Burns wrote:
[...]

This is perfect IFR practice weather! It just doesn't get any better
than this here in PA. Consistently low, but not too low, ceilings,
decent visibility and enough rain to keep things interesting. Perfect!

Matt
Old August 21st 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

This is perfect IFR practice weather! It just doesn't get any better
than this here in PA. Consistently low, but not too low, ceilings,
decent visibility and enough rain to keep things interesting. Perfect!

Matt

Not here. I'm on the 36th floor and can't see the ground looking
straight down :-( I suppose it would be good for practicing missed
approach if I had the time (sigh).

Old August 21st 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Same here... well, not on the 36th floor, I'm on the only floor and can't
see a 1/2 mile. Ceiling is 300ft.
Jim

ups.com...

Old August 21st 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Paul kgyy wrote:
This is perfect IFR practice weather! It just doesn't get any better
than this here in PA. Consistently low, but not too low, ceilings,
decent visibility and enough rain to keep things interesting. Perfect!

Matt

Not here. I'm on the 36th floor and can't see the ground looking
straight down :-( I suppose it would be good for practicing missed
approach if I had the time (sigh).

The 36th floor is well above ILS minimums at most airports. :-)

Matt
Old August 22nd 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
[...]

It could be worse. You could be seeing highs every day for the last 3 weeks of
97 or above, with many highs of 103, with no rain for that long, and it is too
damn hot to even sit in a plane, let alone fly it.

It's so hot and dusty, even the dust is sitting at home in the air-conditioning!

Face it, the worst weather is the weather you (as in yourself) are experiencing,
and want to be different!
--
Jim in NC

Old August 22nd 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jackal24

Highest
ceiling reported over the last 3 days has been 1100.

I work in western Alaska. On my last 21 day shift, we had 1 and 1/2 days of
sun. The rest of the three weeks consisted of the ceiling never higher than
900 feet with 500 being the norm. Visibilities of 2 miles were not uncommon
either. Good thing that the highest obstacle anywhere nearby is no higher
than 50 feet. Got plenty of flying in though.
Old August 22nd 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 21, 7:30 am, "Jim Burns" wrote:

It's still rainy and foggy here today with no end in sight. Take me back to
the drought we had only last week! A drought I can fix, but this is
impossible!
Jim

Be careful saying that out loud. Someone here in Phoenix will kidnap
you for ransom rain. I'll help'em.