Performance World Class design proposal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 24th 04, 12:29 PM
iPilot

Default Performance World Class design proposal

I do not think that soaring community to trash current World Class. There are some gliders out there
at least and there are competitions. And PW-5 seems to be a perfect glider for beginning pilots in
clubs.

But I still believe that although the idea of the monoclass is very good, the problem is the
relatively high cost of the glider with performance from the 60-s. Therefore i propse a new
monoclass which is more performance than beginner oriented and which should be our primary hope to
get the gliding into olympic games.

Objective:
To develop new monclass glider which offers the better or equal performance per price when compared
to all current production and aftermarket gliders with L/D above 42.
Glider has to satisfy several general requirements
safe handling in the air and on the ground
a single design, stabilized for a period of years (proposedly 15 as in WC)
performance sufficient for badges & challenging competition
simple construction

Design objectives

compliance with JAR-22, Category U, including cloud flying
max stall 80 km/h at max mass, most unfavorable cg, airbrakes opened or closed
airbrakes for speed limiting & glidepath control required
sideslip possible with brakes opened or closed
effective wheel brake
automatic elevator hookup
a "crash-friendly" panel
ddtwo-handed canopy jettison actuating releases on both sides
seat & harness good to 15g's forward
battery, oxygen, equipment restraint good to 20g's
adequate cockpit ventilation
retractable landing gear
no flaps or camber-changing devices
possiblity to use water or in-flight adjustable ballast
no restrictions in wingtip extensions
no blowing or sucking of boundary layer
maximum L/D: 40 or greater
max roll rate at 1.4 Vs = b w 3.5 sec (b=span in meters)
accommodate pilots to 6"4"
provision for non-disposable ballast
panel to hold ASI, altimeter, compass, 2 varios, T&S ind
space for radio, O2, battery, datalogger
winch, aero & auto launches possible & safe
rigged easily by two average people
easily moved on ground.

Otherwise applicable to FAI Standard Class rules

Just my stupid ideé fixe, but I hope that someone finds it interesting.

Regards,
Kaido