Looking for a Timer

Old February 19th 05, 09:35 PM
Morgans

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

*sigh* this is REALLY a 'no-brainer'. Get *two* timers.

That *is* great! I never thought of the removable tripper, so no on
selected. Only problem is that the 7 day timers are pricey, aren't they?

Again, good thinking. I had the two timers, you got the rest of it right.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 19th 05, 09:37 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

*sigh* this is REALLY a 'no-brainer'. Get *two* timers.

That *is* great! I never thought of the removable tripper, so no on
selected. Only problem is that the 7 day timers are pricey, aren't they?

Again, good thinking. I had the two timers, you got the rest of it right.
--
Jim in NC

The 7 day timers can be found for under $20... Got one the other day. Now I
just need the one day that runs as described.

KB

Old February 19th 05, 10:06 PM
Jeff

Kyle,

How about one of these?

http://www.foxelectricsupply.com/con...ProductNo=SS7C

http://www.foxelectricsupply.com/con...sProductNo=SS8

Jeff

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
I'm looking for a timer with a specific functionality. I want to be able
to set the thing to turn on an electrical appliance at a set time, then
turn it off after a selectible time. I don't want the thing to come on
again until I tell it to. Not one day later or 7 days later.The
application is for the pre-heaters on my RV-6. I've got a battery warmer
and a sump heater.

The low-down is that I work 15 minutes from the airport, so I can drop by
very easily at lunch or right after work to set a timer if I think I'm
going to be flying the next day (this is particularly useful for flights
early on Saturday morning). There are many timers that will support this
function. The problem is that most of 'em will then turn on again at the
same time the next day, and the next, and the next. Or maybe, they will
turn on a week later. The situation I want to avoid is where I set the
timer for, say, Saturday morning, then plans go bad and I don't get to the
airport for a week or two and the heaters run on a daily basis or weekly
basis until I reset or unplug the timer.

I've tried the big box stores, Grainger, etc. and have not found a timer
that works the way I want.

Suggestions?

KB

Old February 20th 05, 02:07 AM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Morgans wrote:

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

*sigh* this is REALLY a 'no-brainer'. Get *two* timers.

That *is* great! I never thought of the removable tripper, so no on
selected. Only problem is that the 7 day timers are pricey, aren't they?

Depends what you consider 'pricey', I guess. ,grin

I was at the Blue BORG (Lowes), today.
They had 7-day timers for under $15, and removable tripper one-day ones, for
under $10.

Note: The *only* reason for the 7-day timer is to allow one to set thing up
"more than one day" in advance. If you'll never need more than 24 hours
'lead time', you can use a "daily" timer for timer #1, as well.

Again, good thinking. I had the two timers, you got the rest of it right.

I've used that 'off only' tripper set-up for various things for more than
30 years.

It is absolutely *wonderful* where you have things that might get 'left on'
(usually because somebody just "forgot" to turn 'em off), and not discovered
for an extended period.

Old February 20th 05, 02:24 AM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Kyle Boatright wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

*sigh* this is REALLY a 'no-brainer'. Get *two* timers.

That *is* great! I never thought of the removable tripper, so no on
selected. Only problem is that the 7 day timers are pricey, aren't they?

Again, good thinking. I had the two timers, you got the rest of it right.
--
Jim in NC

The 7 day timers can be found for under $20... Got one the other day. Now I
just need the one day that runs as described.

Intermatic makes one -- their model "TN311CL". It's called a "heavy duty
appliance timer", rated for 15A. The Blue BORG (Lowes) sells it, here anyway,
for $9.97. Comes with 3 green ("on") trippers, and 3 red ("off") ones.