New Orleans Lakefront Airport

Old September 2nd 05, 08:26 PM
Eduardo K.

In article . net,
Mike Rapoport wrote:

Too bad the president doesn't just come out and act Presidential and ask
everybody to try to cut their gasoline usage by 10% until the shortage is
resolved....Kennedy would have done this, Nixon would have, Carter would
have, Reagan would have...

Bush is not the president. He just pretends to be.

--
Eduardo K. |
http://www.carfun.cl | "World domination, now"
Old September 3rd 05, 06:59 PM
Ash Wyllie

Matt Barrow opined

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
Our crystal ball (aka TWC) only fortold that the Gulf Coast would be hit,
not NO specifically. The point is that little or no pre-landfall
preparation seems to have taken place. A few water trucks and a thousand
dollars worth of paper cups at the superdome would have gone a long way as
would a couple of large generators and a diesel truck to fuel them (all
availible at the local equipment rental company). There are people who's
job is to think of this stuff and they had decades to think it through. I
find their performance unsatisfactory. The outcome of a levee breach at

NO
has been feature on almost every hurricane show I have ever watched on TV.
This shouldn't have been a surprise.

One of the two levees that broke had recently been upgraded. The old ones
held fast.

http://nytimes.com/2005/09/01/nation...l/01levee.html

Sounds like they used the same contractors that Boaton used for the Big Dig.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2005!
Why wait for nature?

Old September 4th 05, 12:23 AM
ThomasH

On 31-Aug-05 10:11, Dan Luke wrote:
CNN video: NEW looks bad; partially under water. Heavy damage to most
buildings, particularly the large Millionaire FBO west of 18/36.

Wonder how long it will be before we make the $100 muffaletta trip to
Lakefront again--if indeed we ever do?

This is so sad, really. Especially the seemingly lack of
efficiency in helping these people. It is even more sad to
observe all this scavenging and the violence in the city of
New Orleans.

We did landed on NEW I believe 2001 on our way home from
LAL Sun'n'fun to California. We landed on Monday late
afternoon. lake Pontchartrain was soaked in purple and
was looking so peaceful...

Our FFO was Million Air. Because on Monday it is so quiet in
New Orleans, we got from them a transport to French Quarter
and a room in Royal Senesta at the Bourbon St for $110, if my
memory serves me. The regular rack price posted on the door
was some $390 or a similar insane value. The room was very
plain, like a nice $80 hotel someplace else.

We did walked the night along the Quarter, got the Jambalaya
and the pieces of a Gator, and the next day we walked toward
Jackson Square and took breakfast in one of the French style
bakeries, was the name Madelaine? It was excellent, we did
not wanted leave. But the schedule was to be observed! We
left around noon and we took off, heading west.

Next landing Junction, Texas. Than El Paso for the night.

I really feel so awful for the people of New Orleans and
of all the countless other places around the Golf. It is
so attractive and serene, so Mediterranean, until, well
until the nature shows its devastating side. This makes
me think about "the next big one" here in California.
We do not have such winds on the West Coast, but we know
that it will shake violently again one day... It might
than shake up our existence at a similar scale!

Thomas, PAO

Thomas
Old September 5th 05, 04:51 AM
Jay Honeck

Our area farmers can't afford the fuel prices when they were "good" as
compared to now. Many here have simply started raising cattle. Rice,
soybeans, sugercane and wheat can't produce a profit at the current market
price they bring...

Good! Maybe they will stop over-producing and allow the price to rise back
to a profitable level?

Oh, wait -- the Feds keep paying them tax money whether it's profitable to
till the land, or not.

Never mind....

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 5th 05, 05:15 AM
W P Dixon

In some cases they pay them not to till the land at all Bet that one
really gets ya !

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old September 5th 05, 03:54 PM
john smith

Our area farmers can't afford the fuel prices when they were "good" as
compared to now. Many here have simply started raising cattle. Rice,
soybeans, sugercane and wheat can't produce a profit at the current market
price they bring...

How many pounds of grain does it take to produce a gallon of ethanol?
Old September 6th 05, 02:26 AM
George Patterson

john smith wrote:

How many pounds of grain does it take to produce a gallon of ethanol?

If I remember the recipe correctly, it takes a little over a bushel per gallon.
Corn weighs about 56 pounds per bushel.

George Patterson
Old September 6th 05, 03:13 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Jay Honeck wrote:
Our area farmers can't afford the fuel prices when they were "good" as
compared to now. Many here have simply started raising cattle. Rice,
soybeans, sugercane and wheat can't produce a profit at the current market
price they bring...

Good! Maybe they will stop over-producing and allow the price to rise back
to a profitable level?

Imports from other countries won't allow for that. Lots of countries
won't take our exports...

Oh, wait -- the Feds keep paying them tax money whether it's profitable to
till the land, or not.

The actually pay us to not plant in some cases...

Never mind....

Is that something like *geaux fish*?

Palo Alto airport, potential long-term problems... [email protected] Piloting 7 June 6th 05 11:32 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM