Help me convince my wife..... :)

Old May 24th 16, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

Default Help me convince my wife..... :)

On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 11:21:56 UTC+9:30, JS wrote:
There's another hiccup. Others suggest "your own glider", I agree if you're going to take it away for weeks at a time.
A partner might want to fly it too.
Jim

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 6:41:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
We'll see what my potential syndicate partner says. You never know who's gonna come out of the woodwork when you start talking about sharing a good toy.

JP

They tell me choosing the right partner is key. Someone with sufficient funds, a similar mindset and no time to fly.

Someone asked me recently if I would buy half a glider with them. I clearly need to fly more!!

Cheers Ben
Old May 24th 16, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 9:51:56 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
There's another hiccup. Others suggest "your own glider", I agree if you're going to take it away for weeks at a time.
A partner might want to fly it too.
Jim

True.. but being in New England I was thinking more of traveling in the 'off' season. I think it's likely that a syndicate partner could work it out so that you BOTH had a chance to fly it somewhere else. Maybe leave the tow vehicle there and let the other person tow one way.

yes... the right partner is key. I always joke that 'partners are for dancing' however with the purchase price in the area I'm looking at, it's either wait a few years, or get a partner. Honestly.. flying a whole bunch in the 1-35 isn't that bad of an option. I just don't plan on going anywhere with it. It's not too hard to rig, but a little bit of a chore.

JP
Old May 24th 16, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 5/23/2016 8:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

Partners - whether in marriage or gliders - are best chosen wisely (IMHO).
Been there, done both, with no major hiccups in either. OTOH, seen lotsa less
than successful choices in both fields...

As for wifey's frugality, there's a lot good to be said for it, if maximizing
retirement funds are a significant consideration. Rotating the tires on my
wife's original-owner/-engine, 280,000+ mile '87 Mustang today got us to
reflecting on the original-owner, 3-engine, '72 Ford Maverick I sold after 37
years for $500 (still a registered, driving, rustbucket when sold), and its
all-but-the-glider-towing-capability replacement '90 Honda CRX HF,
original-owner/-engine, 239,000 mile, 50mpg, everyday-car replacement parked
adjacent to the Mustang. When I think of all the vehicle replacement funds
never spent, taxes saved, etc., retirement bux were undoubtedly saved. Towing
is handled by a bought-used Tacoma these days. Works for us...

As to XC in a 1-35, you *are* aware that the world's first 1,000Km XC flight
in a 21/1 1-26 was made less than a month ago, right? (And by a derned KID,
kinda-sorta in your neck of the woods, he sez with the greatest respect!)
Point being, XC miles come less from the L/D than what's in the pilot's skull.
I've never felt hampered by "limiting myself" to a 1st-generation glass glider
for the bulk of my post 1-26 XC miles.

Meanwhile - "What everyone else has already said," about club dynamics, et al.

Bob W.

P.S. If wifey won't consent to a new Cobra, I'll consent to a mere Cobra
replica. We ARE talking cars, right?
Old May 24th 16, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Hate to say that, but if wifey has a say on which glider you fly, you've made a strategic error years ago. Should be a clear case of wrongful divorce though.

Bert
Ventus cM "TW"
Old May 24th 16, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

If money is the main hindrance and you want to fly cross country for leisure and not compete in competitions, have you considered some of the early glass ships that are in the 40+:1 range?
There are some LAK 12's and a 101 Pegase A for sale for $15000 or less on Wings and Wheels.
For $18000 and under you could be flying an Open Cirrus, Speed Astir, T.59D Kestrel, etc.
Yes, some of them may have handling quirks and may not be as nice as the more expensive, newer glass ships but there is still plenty of fun to be had in them at a much lower cost.

I was in a similar situation so I purchased an airworthy Nimbus 2 and nice trailer for approximately $8200 (at current exchange rate). While the handling may not be be every one's cup of tea, it's plenty of bang for the buck without breaking the bank or upsetting the wife.
Club rentals and part ownership was not an option since I just don't trust other people with something that my life depends on. I've seen too many hard landings and glider abuse go unreported and not inspected. Then there is the issue of each member wanting the glider at the same time.

Partnerships work for some people but I'd think that option over very carefully if you plan to fly long cross country flights every weekend.
Old May 24th 16, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_4_]

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 9:56:38 PM UTC-4, Ben Coleman wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 11:21:56 UTC+9:30, JS wrote:
There's another hiccup. Others suggest "your own glider", I agree if you're going to take it away for weeks at a time.
A partner might want to fly it too.
Jim

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 6:41:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
We'll see what my potential syndicate partner says. You never know who's gonna come out of the woodwork when you start talking about sharing a good toy.

JP

They tell me choosing the right partner is key. Someone with sufficient funds, a similar mindset and no time to fly.

Someone asked me recently if I would buy half a glider with them. I clearly need to fly more!!

Cheers Ben

I always think choosing the right wife is the key! Flying 43 years -

Dennis
Old May 24th 16, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I always think choosing the right wife is the key! Flying 43 years -

Dennis

I've got the right wife.. she just hates flying. Makes it tough on myself to justify a huge chunk of money on a glider. half of a 24 is well under my pain point. We'll see what comes about.

JP
Old May 24th 16, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 12:58:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
So.. I bought a share in a 1-35 this winter. I've already had a blast in it this season. I own just 1/4 of it, so not much of an outlay of cash.

I've got the disease pretty bad. I'm interested now in going halves with another club member on something glass and in the 40+ l/d

Lets say a ASW24. I've rented one before at Williams, and had fun in it.

With my own glass ship that travels well, I could hit FL and SW areas in the winter. My job allows me to float about the country pretty easy. In other words, take the glider to FL, work a week out of FL, then fly a few days and bring it back home.

So my wife.. while not being very EXCITED about the prospect of me spending 25 or so thousand dollars on a glider hasn't thrown fits. BUT... she took me for a loop today.

She said, what about just going places to rent? I countered with the fact that many places were clubs, and many places were not renting high performance stuff like that.

When she heard CLUB.. she just said.... well, for the money you are spending, you could join at a couple clubs around the country and travel to them each once a year.

UHHHHH...

now.. off the top of my head, the depreciation on a well cared for glass ship is pretty low, what maybe 2k a year 3 at most? Then throw in my half of insurance and mtx.. call it another grand or two. That's a couple to three thousand a year.

Any help here?

Please.

JP

There is aq syndicate of 3 gliders at Seminole Lake FL, if that's where you want to spend some time in the winter. And they are excellent ships (DG800, LS-8 18, and DG 1000 turbo), and an excellent group of guys. It's close to Orlando, so for her there's the shopping, parks, golf etc. And it's the best flying in eastern NA winter months.
Old May 24th 16, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gordon Walker[_2_]

My take on it,
What you are really paying for with owning a glider is having
something to fly on the really good days. THIS IS THE WHOLE CRUX OF
THE ISSUE
The type of glider is rather less important than having it to fly.

Any of the older glass ships will let you fly decent size tasks at decent
speeds. Once you can turn in really good performances regularly (ie
beating many of the other locals) then maybe something better might
be worthwhile.
As others have intimated if you go the syndicate route chose your
partner with care. If you get a good syndicate partner you will get
more fun than owning on your own as there is always someone willing
to retrieve you and lead you astray for another gliding expedition......

Regards

Gordon

Old May 24th 16, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Wifey always has a say. Don't you know that, when Momma's happy,
everyone's happy, but when Momma's not happy, nobody's happy?

BTW, Wifey bought me a LAK-17a years back. I repaid the kindness by
buying her a Pipistrel Sinus. I've now sold the LAK and bought a
Stemme, which she loves to fly, so we're selling her Pipistrel... Live
is good! :-D

--
Dan, 5J

Convince me to stick with it . . . Gary G Piloting 22 December 8th 05 03:45 PM
Convince me! Airborne Simulators 0 March 2nd 05 05:13 PM
Convince me! Ace Simulators 0 March 2nd 05 05:13 PM
Convince me! Rubrica Simulators 0 March 2nd 05 05:13 PM
JFK Jr.'s mean ol wife I'm just a zero General Aviation 63 July 15th 03 12:51 PM