First post

Old May 5th 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
birdog[_2_]

Default First post

I think I visited this site many years ago. Havn't has NG's in years. If so,
I am some disappointed in the QUANTITY of interesting commentary on flying.

I am an 83 year old ex-pilot - lost my medical some 30 years ago, but my
interest in aviation has never slackened. I started flying in the AAF in
1944, got thru J-3's, PT-19's, AT-6's, and the damn Japs quit. After the
war, several of us bought an old surplus J-3 for $300, and except for
school, and a period while raising a family, continued flying various SEL's
until the medical got me. I tried RC models, and after a short time it was
no different than having a toy on a string. Tried simulators, and it
satisfied nothing. So now I sit and stare at the wall and dream of what was.
By the way. If I WERE able to fly today, I could not afford it. In the late
'50's, we bought a 135 HP Tri-Pacer, and if memory serves, it was under
$2000, used of course. Sometime later, it was a 172, 5-years old, for about
$4500. I would probably have to mortage the house to buy the same plane
today.

Reading thru what's posted here, it seems that the NG has deteriated, as
have most of the others, destroyed by a bunch of mouth breathing morons. I
will try to killfile those I can identify (some seem to be obvious) and
maybe end up with a few pilots. I note, right off, some guy calling himself
"Ari" who adds absolutely nothing to any discussion, and is my first
prospect. I am way shy on education terminology and inovations in
avation technology.

Old May 5th 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn[_3_]

"birdog" wrote in message
I am an 83 year old ex-pilot - lost my medical some 30 years ago, but my
interest in aviation has never slackened.

There is no reason to let a little thing like a medical keep you out of the sky.
(Forgetting Sport Pilot for a moment) The lack of a medical only keeps you from
flying SOLO. One of the best things you can do is find a young person trying to
build time towards advanced ratings. Share expenses and pass on your experience
to him/her. When I was building time towards my CFI, I was lucky enough to have
such a mentor, (a retired airline pilot with some physical problems) and I like
to believe that he was mutually lucky to have me.

Alternatively, find another old pilot at the airport who hasn't yet lost his
medical, or is OK to fly Sport Pilot.

If I WERE able to fly today, I could not afford it. In the late
'50's, we bought a 135 HP Tri-Pacer, and if memory serves, it was under $2000,
used of course. Sometime later, it was a 172, 5-years old, for about $4500. I
would probably have to mortage the house to buy the same plane today.

Then don't buy a plane. It is almost always cheaper to rent, and it is the
ultimate pay-as-you-go deal. Short of winning the lotto (and I don't even play)
I don't see myself ever being an owner.

Vaughn

Old May 6th 10, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Then go **** yourself.

--
Mark's webstuff - www.geodon.com/images/homeBipolarAvatarHead.gif
http://static.open.salon.com/files/b...1255029439.jpg
Old May 6th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"vaughn" wrote:
"birdog" wrote:
I am an 83 year old ex-pilot - lost my medical some 30 years ago, but
my interest in aviation has never slackened.

There is no reason to let a little thing like a medical keep you out
of the sky. (Forgetting Sport Pilot for a moment)

In the US, no medical is needed to fly gliders, either. However, the
safeness of any flying would all depend on why the medical was lost.
Old May 6th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On May 5, 7:27*pm, Mark wrote:
On Wed, 5 May 2010 16:36:22 -0400, birdog wrote:
I think I visited this site many years ago. Havn't has NG's in years. If so,
I am some disappointed in the QUANTITY of interesting commentary on flying.

Then go **** yourself.

--
Mark's webstuff -www.geodon.com/images/homeBipolarAvatarHead.gifhttp://static.open.salon.com/files/bipolar1255029439.jpg
My websitehttp://www.hosanna1.com/www.myspace.com/gayincarolinawww.gotitans.com/goForum/image.php?u=1948&dateline=1248991084

Ari forgery.
Old May 6th 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Terry

"birdog" wrote in message
I am an 83 year old ex-pilot - lost my medical some 30 years ago,
but my interest in aviation has never slackened.

snipped

Welcome back.....won't take you long to figure out the newsgroup
posters!

What state and airport are you near "Birdog"...?

Terry N6401F

Old May 6th 10, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
birdog[_2_]

"Terry" wrote in message
m...
"birdog" wrote in message
I am an 83 year old ex-pilot - lost my medical some 30 years ago, but my
interest in aviation has never slackened.

snipped

Welcome back.....won't take you long to figure out the newsgroup posters!

What state and airport are you near "Birdog"...?

Terry N6401F

Tennessee. Base airport was a little grass strip (about 3000') near the
little town of Oliver Springs. That's just over the ridge from Oak Ridge,
TN.

Old May 6th 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
birdog[_2_]

"vaughn" wrote in message

"birdog" wrote in message
I am an 83 year old ex-pilot - lost my medical some 30 years ago, but my
interest in aviation has never slackened.

There is no reason to let a little thing like a medical keep you out of
the sky. (Forgetting Sport Pilot for a moment) The lack of a medical only
keeps you from flying SOLO. One of the best things you can do is find a
young person trying to build time towards advanced ratings. Share
expenses and pass on your experience to him/her. When I was building time
towards my CFI, I was lucky enough to have such a mentor, (a retired
airline pilot with some physical problems) and I like to believe that he
was mutually lucky to have me.

Alternatively, find another old pilot at the airport who hasn't yet lost
his medical, or is OK to fly Sport Pilot.

Good notion, but I did give that a short try. It just isn't the same. The
sense of freedom of dropping by the strip on a whim and flying over to
Podunk for a coke just isn't there. A friend went that route, bought a
prime condition 170 (one of the prettiest little planes in the air, in my
opinion) and eventually it just sat there in the hanger. The spontinuity was
gone. Arrangements, scheduling, etc. got to be a chore. (He made money on
the sale, by the way)

Thanks for the reply, at any rate.

Old May 6th 10, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ari[_2_]

On Thu, 6 May 2010 09:51:16 -0400, birdog wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
m...
"birdog" wrote in message
I am an 83 year old ex-pilot - lost my medical some 30 years ago, but my
interest in aviation has never slackened.

snipped

Welcome back.....won't take you long to figure out the newsgroup posters!

What state and airport are you near "Birdog"...?

Terry N6401F

Tennessee. Base airport was a little grass strip (about 3000') near the
little town of Oliver Springs. That's just over the ridge from Oak Ridge,
TN.

My first flights were out of McGhee-Tyson and I FBO at DKX every once
in a while.
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!
http://tr.im/holj

D Post Michael Baldwin, Bruce Products 10 January 22nd 07 03:33 AM
Another OT post, but you're not alone! Jim Burns Piloting 10 October 26th 06 01:59 AM
A serious post Skylune Piloting 10 May 31st 06 02:17 PM
First Post Abner Aerobatics 0 November 2nd 04 03:51 AM
First Post: Hello! Tobeon Soaring 9 November 5th 03 10:47 PM