things to carry

Old July 6th 04, 01:17 PM
Gary Drescher

Default things to carry

A pilot crashed on a NH mountain in fog yesterday. He survived, but his
17-year-old son did not. Rescuers were able to find him in part because he
was blowing a whistle. I just added one to my flight bag.
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?J3AA12BB8)

--Gary

Old July 6th 04, 03:42 PM
C J Campbell

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
A pilot crashed on a NH mountain in fog yesterday. He survived, but his
17-year-old son did not. Rescuers were able to find him in part because he
was blowing a whistle. I just added one to my flight bag.

The whistle is a vital part of survival gear. Survival experts recommend
that you wear it around your neck, along with your pocket knife and button
compass. There are some people that will not leave the house without these
things (like most people, I am not one of them so this may be a case of "do
what I say, not what I do").

We have friends who have given each of their family members distinctive
whistles and they use their whistles to locate each other in stores and
parking lots. They were even able to keep track of each other at Disneyland
last year.

Old July 6th 04, 04:02 PM
Bob Gardner

I hope you got a rescue whistle, not a "police" whistle with a pea. Rescue
whistles can be heard for half a mile and are available at suppliers of
outdoor equipment.

Bob Gardner

Old July 6th 04, 04:26 PM
Rosspilot

We have friends who have given each of their family members distinctive
whistles and they use their whistles to locate each other in stores and
parking lots. They were even able to keep track of each other at Disneyland
last year.

We use cellphones for that :-)
www.Rosspilot.com

Old July 6th 04, 04:30 PM
Gary Drescher

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
I hope you got a rescue whistle, not a "police" whistle with a pea. Rescue
whistles can be heard for half a mile and are available at suppliers of
outdoor equipment.

Thanks, I'll get one.

--Gary

Old July 6th 04, 05:28 PM
EDR

In article hLwGc.16623$JR4.7695@attbi_s54, Gary Drescher
wrote:

A pilot crashed on a NH mountain in fog yesterday. He survived, but his
17-year-old son did not. Rescuers were able to find him in part because he
was blowing a whistle. I just added one to my flight bag.
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?J3AA12BB8)

1. First-aid kit
2. Compass and know how to use it
3. Map(s) of the area where you will be
4. Small functional pocket knife
5. Flashlight with good batteries (extras & bulb)
6. Raingear; parka and pants
7. Sunscreen
8. Extra food and water
9. Fire kit, waterproof container of matches, candle, etc.
10. Whistle
Old July 6th 04, 05:55 PM
Tony Cox

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

[...]

Works well in theatres and cinemas too ;-)

I keep my plane ignition key on a whistle key fob. That way it's
easy to remember where it is if it ever becomes necessary to use
it.

Old July 6th 04, 06:58 PM
Jonathan

wrote:

A pilot crashed on a NH mountain in fog yesterday. He survived, but his
17-year-old son did not. Rescuers were able to find him in part because he
was blowing a whistle. I just added one to my flight bag.
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?J3AA12BB8)

1. First-aid kit
2. Compass and know how to use it
3. Map(s) of the area where you will be
4. Small functional pocket knife
5. Flashlight with good batteries (extras & bulb)
6. Raingear; parka and pants
7. Sunscreen
8. Extra food and water
9. Fire kit, waterproof container of matches, candle, etc.
10. Whistle

Nice list! I will be adding a few things to my flight bag.

--
Jonathan,

www.virtual-hangar.com
Old July 6th 04, 09:10 PM