Political Head warmers..rectal cavities

Old July 8th 04, 05:01 AM
Doug

Default Political Head warmers..rectal cavities

i know Im new to this pilot thing but these politicians are out of control.
Do they have to investigate everything?? I mean I have heard of finding a
job for your buddy but these commissions on every damn thing that happens
is getting out of control...

I thought for sure WE hired them to do this sorta thing....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Jul7.html

"Plane That Caused Capitol Evacuation Nearly Shot Down"
Old July 9th 04, 04:26 AM
StellaStar

Do they have to investigate everything??

Better investigate the scare that had 'em all running out of the capitol than
let rumor and folk tales inflate the story to a real terrorist attempt. After
investigation, the controllers who dropped the ball about passing on word of
the nonfunctioning transponder were clearly at the root of the problem.
Old July 9th 04, 05:26 AM
John T

"StellaStar" wrote in message

After investigation, the controllers who dropped
the ball about passing on word of the nonfunctioning transponder were
clearly at the root of the problem.

I beg to differ. The controllers were operating under what used to be
standard operating procedure - and still is SOP in most of the airspace in
this country.

Even if you accept the necessity of the ADIZ (and I'm not at all suggesting
that I do), our tax dollars built a coordination facility for this type of
situation (the KY governor's faulty xponder) and it failed. Whoever
designed it apparently didn't link its radar display to the FAA's computer
system in a way that allowed the coordination facility to see what the
controllers see.

Why is it that the controllers are the root of the problem?

The root of the problem, IMO, is the ADIZ/FRZ and the seemingly
ever-changing security requirements in the DC area. See definition of P-40.
See also restrictions unilaterally - and temporarily - placed on pattern
work in the ADIZ as a result of the KY governor issue.

Oh, and instead of simply fixing the radar data link, a NOTAM has been
issued (4/5555 ZDC) prohibiting flight within the ADIZ without a functioning
transponder. Period. I'm just waiting to hear what happens to a commercial
flight that has a similar problem:

"Captain here, folks. Sorry to let you know, but even though we've started
our descent into [Dulles, National, BWI], we've had to divert and land in
[Philly, Richmond] because we've had an electrical glitch. We'll get it
squared away and have you on your way in no time."

OK, so I went on a rant. My apologies, but I'm a bit frustrated after
talking about this situation with aviation-ignorant members of the public
today. I was able to persuade the couple of folks I talked to that the
ADIZ/FRZ isn't a reasonable solution, but I still have 289.9 million more to
go - especially those on Capitol Hill...

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old July 9th 04, 05:50 PM
Andrew Gideon

John T wrote:

"Captain here, folks. Sorry to let you know, but even though we've
started our descent into [Dulles, National, BWI], we've had to divert and
land in
[Philly, Richmond] because we've had an electrical glitch. We'll get it
squared away and have you on your way in no time."

Isn't there some password requirement for one of the DC airports? I recall
reading here (which naturally means that it must be true {8^) that some
pilots have been diverted after getting the password wrong; there's no
second try permitted.

That too must make for an interesting announcement.

OK, so I went on a rant. My apologies, but I'm a bit frustrated after
talking about this situation with aviation-ignorant members of the public
today. I was able to persuade the couple of folks I talked to that the
ADIZ/FRZ isn't a reasonable solution, but I still have 289.9 million more
to go - especially those on Capitol Hill...

The problem is that people can come to the conclusion "every little bit
helps". That is, they can be easily convinced that the ADIZ is next to
useless. But they still see no reason to not have it.

What's not made clear to people are the costs.

- Andrew

Old July 10th 04, 05:43 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Isn't there some password requirement for one of the DC airports? I

recall
reading here (which naturally means that it must be true {8^) that some
pilots have been diverted after getting the password wrong; there's no
second try permitted.

Something that's read out over the radio?

Paul

Old July 10th 04, 06:21 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in
message ...
"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Isn't there some password requirement for one of the DC airports? I

recall
reading here (which naturally means that it must be true {8^) that some
pilots have been diverted after getting the password wrong; there's no
second try permitted.

Something that's read out over the radio?

Possibly. It could be like the military authentication codes.

Old July 10th 04, 09:18 PM
Jack

Paul Sengupta wrote:

"Andrew Gideon" wrote:
pilots have been diverted after getting the password wrong; there's no
second try permitted.

Something that's read out over the radio?

Could be: but if it were it would probably be a one-time use code for
that particular flight.

No problem.

--
Jack

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old July 12th 04, 09:22 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jack wrote:

Paul Sengupta wrote:

"Andrew Gideon" wrote:
pilots have been diverted after getting the password wrong; there's no
second try permitted.

Something that's read out over the radio?

Could be: but if it were it would probably be a one-time use code for
that particular flight.

No problem.

My recollection of this is that it wasn't a single-use code but a code that
was valid for some window (ie. a day or an hour). Of course, my
recollection could be completely wrong (even to the idea that there's a
password at all {8^), but this sounds a lot more TSA-ish than a single-use
code.

Remember: these are the same people that don't even sync up with ATC when
tracking an aircraft with a failed mode C, but that just scare everyone
into the streets.

- Andrew

Old July 16th 04, 10:40 PM
Jack

Andrew Gideon wrote:

My recollection of this is that it wasn't a single-use code but a code that
was valid for some window (ie. a day or an hour).

I'll wait for a more detailed explanation from a currently active
professional pilot about the mechanics of this process, which it is
highly unlikely any are about to share on Usenet.

Either way I think we have little to worry about from this particular
aspect of the security program, other than it being a PITA for those who
have to deal with it every day.

--
Jack

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old July 16th 04, 11:07 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jack wrote:

Andrew Gideon wrote:

My recollection of this is that it wasn't a single-use code but a code
that was valid for some window (ie. a day or an hour).

I'll wait for a more detailed explanation from a currently active
professional pilot about the mechanics of this process, which it is
highly unlikely any are about to share on Usenet.

Ah. I'd not thought to search for this until just now...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...&notFound=true

Since National's reopening last month, flight crews landing at National
have had to provide a secret code to help air traffic controllers verify
that the flight has not been hijacked.

Shumann said several planes have been diverted to Dulles since Oct. 4 for
"failures to authenticate."

This is pretty aged, though. I've no idea if the policy is still in place.

- Andrew