TO THE GROUP

Old July 16th 04, 07:10 AM
Today's Curious Question

Default TO THE GROUP

Well today I'm relaxing watching an old episode of Dragnet, and this
episode involves a drug smuggler who crashes his plane.

So here's Gannon and Friday standing beside it and I notice an N number.

To me the plane looks likes a Piper colt ( rounded rudder ) but in
another scene Sgt Friday says it's a Cessna..... I don't think so.

Anyways... my tired eyes and feeble brain might be mistaken but
I read the N number as N 97164 yet in another scene Friday
calls it N 17964.

So I'm kinda curious if some kind soul who has the ability to check out
these numbers could tell me what type of plane ( if any ) that those
two numbers come out as.

Please and thank you.
Old July 16th 04, 08:36 AM
Paul Banks

Go he

http://162.58.35.241/acdatabase/acmain.htm

and have a play

Paul

Old July 16th 04, 03:18 PM
Tony Cox

"Today's Curious Question" wrote in message
Well today I'm relaxing watching an old episode of Dragnet, and this
episode involves a drug smuggler who crashes his plane.

So here's Gannon and Friday standing beside it and I notice an N number.

To me the plane looks likes a Piper colt ( rounded rudder ) but in
another scene Sgt Friday says it's a Cessna..... I don't think so.

Anyways... my tired eyes and feeble brain might be mistaken but
I read the N number as N 97164 yet in another scene Friday
calls it N 17964.

So I'm kinda curious if some kind soul who has the ability to check out
these numbers could tell me what type of plane ( if any ) that those
two numbers come out as.

Stick it into Google (without the space after the "N").

Looks like it *was* a Stinson.

Old July 16th 04, 03:49 PM
Travis Marlatte

N97164 does not show up in the US registration. That doesn't mean that it
never was. Just that it isn't now.

N17964 is registered as a Schweizer model SGS 2-33 as of 1992.

--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old July 16th 04, 06:21 PM
gatt

"Today's Curious Question" wrote in message

So here's Gannon and Friday standing beside it and I notice an N number.

To me the plane looks likes a Piper colt ( rounded rudder ) but in
another scene Sgt Friday says it's a Cessna..... I don't think so.

Reminds me of watching Black Sheep. In one episode where they're landing on
an aircraft carrier (which the squadron didn't do once while Boyington was
there) and they show Boyington landing a Corsair. Then they cut to stock
footage of a Hellcat, then back to Boyington in the Corsair representing the
same aircraft. And then they cut to stock footage of a '60s or '70s
aircraft carrier and there's a helicopter barely visibile in the background.

That show was so much better when I was 10.
-c

Old July 16th 04, 07:03 PM
Curious Question

Travis Marlatte wrote:

N97164 does not show up in the US registration. That doesn't mean that it
never was. Just that it isn't now.

N17964 is registered as a Schweizer model SGS 2-33 as of 1992.

Thanks Travis.

I kinda figured that with the age of the TV show from the early 60's
that there was a good chance that those numbers could now be
re-assigned to different planes or not in use at all.

Thanks to all who answered.
Old July 16th 04, 10:20 PM
NW_PILOT

Go watch Terminator 3 you will see 2 different N#'s on the Cessna that they
fly to the mountain.

Old July 17th 04, 02:48 PM
Marty

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Go watch Terminator 3 you will see 2 different N#'s on the Cessna that

they
fly to the mountain.

I always hope that Hollywood doesn't really crash good equipment but I'm
sure sometimes they do. On more than one occasion I've found my self saying
to the screen "If you didn't want that (plane, Lamborghini,etc) give it to
me!"

Marty

Old July 17th 04, 06:21 PM
CB

"Marty" wrote in message

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Go watch Terminator 3 you will see 2 different N#'s on the Cessna that

they
fly to the mountain.

I always hope that Hollywood doesn't really crash good equipment but I'm
sure sometimes they do. On more than one occasion I've found my self

saying
to the screen "If you didn't want that (plane, Lamborghini,etc) give it to
me!"

when they made the James Bond movie "The world is not enough", They used and
cut up 18 BMW cars to get the necessary shots.

Old July 18th 04, 05:28 PM
Marty

"CB" wrote in message

when they made the James Bond movie "The world is not enough", They used

and
cut up 18 BMW cars to get the necessary shots.

In "Man With the Golden Gun" I would have gladly cut up that flying Matador
myself.
Man was that thing UUUUGLEEEE!