Radios with fixed, pre-set frequencies (Walter Dittel FSG16). Why?

Old February 11th 16, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

Default Radios with fixed, pre-set frequencies (Walter Dittel FSG16). Why?

Thanks for the replies and info.
I am aware of the used 25KHz Becker, Dittel and Filser units available in Europe at present so maybe I'll go that route.
Old February 13th 16, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

So 12 individual crystals was a cheaper solution than being able to tune into any of the 720 usable channels that the rest of the receiver unit is capable of?

No, not cheaper. It just wasn't invented yet. The old radios were all analog. Today they are mostly digital. They use just one quartz crystal and they mathematically change that one frequency to any number you need. These are called "frequency synthesisized" radios. Yes, they are way cheaper than all those custom cut crystals.

Old February 14th 16, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 11:14:43 AM UTC-5, Paul Ruskin wrote:
A few years ago the radio in my ASW20 had problems. I took it out and took it apart.

It had the ability to store four frequencies in it (which you could set). To do this it had a couple of large chips which turned out to be memory. Each chip's capacity was 32 bits. Not Megabits. Not Kilobits. Bits.

State of the art at the time, I suspect.

When I was a lad....

My Libelle came with a US-made radio that held 4 frequencies and you had to tune the receiver to the frequency you were transmitting on. Now that was old-school stuff!
Uli
AS
Old February 19th 16, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Prior to digital control of frequency and frequency selection wouldn't tuning the radio also involve delicately turning knobs that continuously vary the frequency just as is required in old home and car radio receivers? I imagine that would be loads of fun especially as the frequency you're trying to tune in to may have long periods of dead air. I've actually got a ziploc bad of crystals left over from the radios my club used to use back in the days before I started flying. I have no idea why I'm keeping them...
Old February 27th 16, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 10:25:38 PM UTC-8, Surge wrote:
Thanks for the replies and info.
I am aware of the used 25KHz Becker, Dittel and Filser units available in Europe at present so maybe I'll go that route.

Surge,

Your old radio is no longer legal to use (it doesn't have the required stability and frequency spacing). Transmissions will likely bleed into adjacent channels. It should be replaced with a 720 channel radio.

Tom

walter Dittel fsg 2t shkdriver Soaring 3 January 4th 16 09:26 AM
Walter Dittel FSG-50, 60, 60M [email protected] Soaring 1 November 7th 14 08:42 AM
Who repairs Dittel radios? Steve Koerner Soaring 8 August 22nd 14 07:13 PM
Wanted: Walter Dittel FSG60M [email protected] Soaring 0 April 21st 08 02:06 AM
Walter Dittel Radios Nyal Williams Soaring 3 December 30th 07 07:52 AM