Charlotte, NC Flying Clubs

Old April 13th 05, 02:42 AM
wondernut

Default Charlotte, NC Flying Clubs

I may be relocating to Charlotte, NC. Any recommendations
on flying clubs or FBO's at nearby airports? Tips on cool
places to fly to would be great also.
Thanks.

Old April 13th 05, 03:05 PM

I went through the same search 5 years ago when I moved to Charlotte from
Dallas, TX. The best club is Charlotte flying club which ca be seen at
http://www.flycarolina.com/ . It has airplanes at KCLT (Class B), KEQY
(Monroe), and Concord. Many choices in well maintained planes, including
two twins, an SR 22 and two SR20s It is expensive, however.

Where will you be coming from? Cool places include Asheville in the Smoky
mountains, Charleston SC, Outer banks at the ocean.

Rod.

Old April 13th 05, 03:08 PM
Jimbob

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:42:56 -0700, "wondernut"
wrote:

I may be relocating to Charlotte, NC. Any recommendations
on flying clubs or FBO's at nearby airports? Tips on cool
places to fly to would be great also.
Thanks.

The cheapest flying that I am aware of is Wilgrove (8A6)
www.wilgroveairport.com I'm training there. $55/hr and up. Small
field, not for the faint of heart. Concord regional (KJQF) is
probably next in expense ($85 up) and is a controlled airport. After
that, Monroe (KEQY) I think rents, but I have not seen their prices.
I know a few more things about places to avoid, but contact me offline
for that.

As for cool places to fly. I dunno. They haven't let me stray far
from the airport yet.

Jim

http://www.unconventional-wisdom.org
Old April 13th 05, 05:55 PM
GEG

Hey - I might be relocating to Charlotte after the summer myself!
I would probably move to the north side, near the new something-Mills
mall. There is an airport very close to there.
It's not far from the Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Old April 13th 05, 05:59 PM
GEG

Concord - that's what the other respondents said.
Concord Mills Mall is right about there.
it's a nice looking airport.
Must have a tower because of the race track and the
traffic associated with that.
Old April 13th 05, 10:18 PM
Morgans

"GEG" wrote in message
Concord - that's what the other respondents said.
Concord Mills Mall is right about there.
it's a nice looking airport.
Must have a tower because of the race track and the
traffic associated with that.

Because of the fact that most of the race teams have their home bases in
the area, there is a lot of flying done in support of the teams. Also, the
financial/ industrial market in the area has many of its buisness jets
flying from Concord. It is one of the top corporate aviation airports in
the country.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 14th 05, 01:46 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

wondernut wrote:
I may be relocating to Charlotte, NC. Any recommendations
on flying clubs or FBO's at nearby airports? Tips on cool
places to fly to would be great also.

I'm flying out of Rock Hill, SC (UZA) which is about 15 miles to the south.
They have a nice flying school/rental outfit and a FBO on the field (5500' X
100", ILS, VOR, NDB, etc.) Pilot controlled lighting. No obstacles to speak of
in the immediate area, unlike Wilgrove.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old April 14th 05, 03:44 AM
Jimbob

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:46:56 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

wondernut wrote:
I may be relocating to Charlotte, NC. Any recommendations
on flying clubs or FBO's at nearby airports? Tips on cool
places to fly to would be great also.

I'm flying out of Rock Hill, SC (UZA) which is about 15 miles to the south.
They have a nice flying school/rental outfit and a FBO on the field (5500' X
100", ILS, VOR, NDB, etc.) Pilot controlled lighting. No obstacles to speak of
in the immediate area, unlike Wilgrove.

Yea, that broadcast tower at wilgrove commands my full attention.

I stopped by Rock Hill a couple weeks back. Nice place and the guy
running it was real cool. It looked like they kept a couple of
Alaruses (Alari?) a Warrior, 172 and 152 for rent. A bit of a hike
from anywhere but south charlotte, tho.

I need to try try out that alarus. I curious to see what it's like to
fly a plane younger than myself.

Old April 14th 05, 04:10 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jimbob wrote:
I stopped by Rock Hill a couple weeks back. Nice place and the guy
running it was real cool. It looked like they kept a couple of
Alaruses (Alari?) a Warrior, 172 and 152 for rent. A bit of a hike
from anywhere but south charlotte, tho.

As luck would have it, that's where I live. As for the rentals, they have two
172s, 3 Alarus(es), and an Arrow.

I need to try try out that alarus. I curious to see what it's like to
fly a plane younger than myself.

Back in the days when I was a freight dog, I was flying an Apache that was state
of the art the year I was born. Now they're *all* younger than me.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old April 15th 05, 04:50 AM
wondernut

Thanks for the tips everyone. I checked out Wilgrove and the Charlotte club
($2400/yr dues thats steep even for here in the Bay Area!). Are there more
local clubs or rental FBO's at Monroe, Concord or elsewhere that just don't
have websites?
I don't see much listed on AirNav.com either.
Lots of Pipers on the websites I found. Guess I'll have to try to go low
wing.