New Orleans Lakefront Airport

Old August 31st 05, 06:11 PM
Dan Luke

Default New Orleans Lakefront Airport

CNN video: NEW looks bad; partially under water. Heavy damage to most
buildings, particularly the large Millionaire FBO west of 18/36.

Wonder how long it will be before we make the $100 muffaletta trip to
Lakefront again--if indeed we ever do?

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 31st 05, 07:27 PM
sfb

There is an AP story about the Federal disaster response. The FAA took
so much damage, that they are waiting for roads to clear before trucking
in new equipment.

Maybe, forever. In Charlotte County, Florida, Charley took out what is
estimated as the equivalent of ten years of the 2004 rate of new
construction.

Old August 31st 05, 08:10 PM

Dan
how bad did Gulfport get hit? I'm scheduled back in there on 20Sept vis
strike bound NWA. How about BFM? Area??????
Rocky

Old August 31st 05, 08:26 PM
Peter R.

how bad did Gulfport get hit? I'm scheduled back in there on 20Sept vis
strike bound NWA. How about BFM? Area??????

Something's telling you not to go.

--
Peter

Old August 31st 05, 08:33 PM
Michelle P

I just go an email from Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic stating we may be
called to fly in supplies to the nearest suitable airport. Looks like I
may end up as part of the disaster response.
Michelle

Old August 31st 05, 08:36 PM
sfb

Took the brunt of the bigger storm surges. The Bay St. Louis bridge is
gone. The Biloxi-Ocean Springs bridge is severely damaged. US 90 is
damaged and impassable.

oups.com...

Old August 31st 05, 09:35 PM
Roger Long

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

Wonder how long it will be before we make the $100 muffaletta trip
to Lakefront again--if indeed we ever do?

It will be a while.

When I did this job:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Boats.htm#Dimillo

The drydock was pumped down to put the ferry in at night because
electric rates were cheaper. The drydock was the largest connected
electric load in Maine and it would have cost $150,000 to pump it 15
feet down and 15 feet up in the day time. It still cost plenty to do
it at night. Presumably, they will pump New Orleans 24 hours a day.

The drydock was about 900 x 120 feet = 108,000 square feet. New
Orleans, now flooded to about the same depth is 5,000,000,000 square
feet or 46,464 times as large. At the daytime energy prices of Maine
a decade ago, it would therefore cost $6,969,600,000 to pump the city
out. The discharges on the drydock pumps were only about 100 feet
long and the city pumps have the head losses of many hundreds of feet
in some cases. Energy prices are going to be way higher by the time
they get this system running. It might be cheaper to just leave it as
a lake and rebuild somewhere else.

A FEMA manager said yesterday that some young staffers just starting
will still be working on the aftermath of Katrina when they retire.

--

Roger Long

Old August 31st 05, 09:47 PM

Roger Long wrote:
"Dan Luke" wrote in message

Wonder how long it will be before we make the $100 muffaletta trip
to Lakefront again--if indeed we ever do?

It will be a while.

One of the biggest problems that they have is that most of the big
pumping stations are diesel powered pumps and require constant manning.
If I remember correctly they only have something like 5 days worth of
fuel at each station.

Craig C.

Old August 31st 05, 09:53 PM
Roger Long

Can you imagine what the cost of diesel fuel is going to be by the
time they finish this project? We may be glad most of us are still
burning 100LL. Of course, since that cost will be added to the cost
of everything that moves by truck, a lot of us aren't going to be able
to continue flying anyway.

--

Roger Long

Old August 31st 05, 09:58 PM
sfb

That won't be a problem as they need to repair Lake Pontchartrain levees
first since they pump into the lake.

Some of this reporting has to be taken in context of the fog of war. The
AP reports the I-10 bridge damage will shut down long haul east-west
traffic totally ignoring that I-12 bypasses New Orleans north of the
lake.

wrote in message
One of the biggest problems that they have is that most of the big
pumping stations are diesel powered pumps and require constant
manning.
If I remember correctly they only have something like 5 days worth of
fuel at each station.

Craig C.

Palo Alto airport, potential long-term problems... [email protected] Piloting 7 June 6th 05 11:32 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 02:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 04:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 06:35 PM