How GA can help out after Katrina

Old September 2nd 05, 08:37 PM
Doug

Default How GA can help out after Katrina

I've been working on organizing a few relief flights and have learned some
things. In spite of AOPA tell GA to stay out of the way, there is a big
need for transporting people around the disaster region. I think the point
is you need to stay out of the way of the rescue helos. Workers with
non-profit relief organizations as well as refugees need to move. Refugees
would like to go stay with extended families rather than sleep in a stadium.
Call one of the many relief organizations listed at www.aircareall.org and
tell them you're coming. Show up and you'll be pressed into service.

You can get into the TFRs pretty easily. If you're IFR, file a flight plan
with flight service and identify yourself as a relief flight, they will
provide instructions. Near the TFR area you'll be handed off to one of two
P-3C AWACS (callsign Omaha 44 or Omaha 45) who will coordinate your flight
in the TFR. If you are VFR, call the central FAA Recovery Desk at
800-333-4286 or 703-904-4547 and provide your call sign, aircraft type,
destination, and ETA. They will provide you instructions and a squawk that
will be your ticket into the TFR. Regional information is provided by
Anniston Flight Service at 256-832-2120. GA airports should be assumed to
be daytime VFR only unless you call ahead and verify their capabilities.

www.aircareall.org explains how the FAA has decided that Part 91 charitable
flights are tax deductable and do not conflict with Part 135 regs as long as
there is no reimbursement by passengers for the expenses and any donations
the passengers make are not tied to the flight.

We've got a 3 day weekend ahead, pull the plane out and get to it.

Old September 2nd 05, 11:22 PM
Rob

Doug wrote:
[...]

Excellent info Doug, thanks. For the time being let's all quit
politicizing this disaster and try to take some helpful immediate
action until there are not human lives in direct peril.

-R

Old September 3rd 05, 02:51 AM
SAC

Also,

http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/
Their planning a Sunday flight mission.

SAC

news

Old September 3rd 05, 03:46 AM
Rob

Doug wrote:
[...]

I found this in my email this afternoon. I'm going to try and
participate. I'll also pass the www.aircareall.org info back to the
APA in case they're able to carry some people on the way back west.

-R

snip

General Aviation responds to hurricane Katrina victims
by transporting medial supplies to Baton Rouge.

The Arizona Pilots Association and it's newest chapter Flights for Life
at the request of Ken "Spanky" Moskowitz of KTAR radio (620) Phoenix
are in the process of organizing a medical airlift for the victims of
hurricane Katrina.

Medical supplies from different sources in the Phoenix metropolitan
area will be transported to Williams Gateway Airport by truck where
they will be weighed and loaded onto aircraft and flown to Baton Rouge,
LA on Sunday September 4. Wheels up at 10: a.m.

Trucks will arrive at the new Gateway Aviation Services terminal to
unload the supplies. Aircraft will park in the new transient area.

Please call Arv Schultz at (602) 989-5225 or Tim Barrios at (602)
679-3505 to become a part of this humanitarian relief effort. Thank
you.

Arv Schultz
President
Arizona Pilots Assoc

snip

Old September 3rd 05, 10:10 AM
ShawnD2112

Doug or anyone else here,

I'm living in the UK but have US and UK PPLs, over 400 hours single engine,
mostly tailwheel and Pitts time, though I have in the past been checked out
on 172 and PA28. Does anyone have any info on where a pilot can donate his
flying skills if he doesn't come to the operation with his own airplane? I
can make my way to the relief area and offer to fly, but not entirely sure
where to start. Before I start phoning all the organizations on the
aircareall website, I was hoping maybe someone here had some info already.
Anything you can provide will be helpful.

Cheers,
Shawn

news

Old September 3rd 05, 02:18 PM
Peter R.

ShawnD2112 wrote:

Does anyone have any info on where a pilot can donate his
flying skills if he doesn't come to the operation with his own airplane? I
can make my way to the relief area and offer to fly, but not entirely sure
where to start. Before I start phoning all the organizations on the
aircareall website, I was hoping maybe someone here had some info already.
Anything you can provide will be helpful.

If you have an instrument rating, you could offer your piloting time and a
rental aircraft to Angel Flight (http://www.angelflightamerica.org/) or the
Vacation Rentals group (http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/). I am
confident that the demand for volunteer pilots will be strong throughout
the next several months.

Not sure if this applies to you, but it is worth pointing out that pilots
who donate an aircraft (rental or owned) and who are willing to pay their
own costs (fuel, rental, etc) are the types who will be in demand. For the
GA pilot willing to help out, there's no free flight time involved in this.

--
Peter

Old September 3rd 05, 03:44 PM
Steve S

"ShawnD2112" wrote in message
k...
Doug or anyone else here,

I'm living in the UK but have US and UK PPLs, over 400 hours single
engine, mostly tailwheel and Pitts time, though I have in the past been
checked out on 172 and PA28. Does anyone have any info on where a pilot
can donate his flying skills if he doesn't come to the operation with his
own airplane? I can make my way to the relief area and offer to fly, but
not entirely sure where to start. Before I start phoning all the
organizations on the aircareall website, I was hoping maybe someone here
had some info already. Anything you can provide will be helpful.

Cheers,
Shawn

http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/ requires that all flights have a
co-pilot. I came here as a single pilot so I'll need a plane-less pilot
assigned with me and there are others in a similar situation. Contact them
you will be of help.

Old September 3rd 05, 04:35 PM
ShawnD2112

Steve,

That's the kind of thing I wanted to hear. I filled out their on-line form
and will see if they get back to me today.

Where is the operation going to be based and how might I get there from, say
Atlanta?

Shawn

Old September 3rd 05, 04:39 PM
ShawnD2112

Thanks for the implication on free flight time, Peter. Very helpful.

I don't think searching rubble to recover bodies is something I'd handle
terribly well and there are plenty of people around who could volunteer to
drive trucks, but not so many that could help fly in docs or supplies to
maximise the use of aircraft when crews need a break. An aircraft can fly
all day and night, it's pilot can't, but relief pilots could double or
triple the number of flights in a day.

Shawn
"Peter R." wrote in message
news
ShawnD2112 wrote:

[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old September 3rd 05, 10:37 PM
Steve S

"ShawnD2112" wrote in message
k...
Steve,

That's the kind of thing I wanted to hear. I filled out their on-line
form and will see if they get back to me today.

Where is the operation going to be based and how might I get there from,
say Atlanta?

Shawn

If you're in Atlanta you're already there. They are staging at
Peachtree-Dekalb airport in Atlanta. Fly Dr's out of PDK Atlanta and fly a
family back to a home somewhere in Ga, SC, NC. I just heard that FEMA will
be providing fuel. First flights are tomorrow morning.

Katrina fall-out Jay Honeck Piloting 435 September 12th 05 02:21 PM
More Katrina Dan Luke Piloting 55 September 4th 05 02:02 AM
How GA can help after Katrina George Patterson Owning 3 September 3rd 05 07:37 PM
Katrina W P Dixon Piloting 20 September 1st 05 05:06 PM