Big Rogues Gallery Update!

Old November 9th 05, 03:47 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Big Rogues Gallery Update!

Check out http://alexisparkinn.com/rec_aviation.htm to see the following new
additions to the Rec.Aviation "Rogues Gallery":

- From Toledo, Ohio, Eric Bartsch and his very cool 1959 Pilatus P3...

- From Boulder, Colorado, Alan Bloom and his pristine 1960 Cessna Skylane...

- From New Brunswick, Canada, David Gamblin and his terrific 1976 Piper
Warrior...

- From Sebring, Ohio, Roy Page and his beautiful 1977 Piper Archer...

- From Corvallis, Oregon, Tom Pettit and his very cool home-built, a 2004
Savannah...

What's this "Rogues Gallery", you ask? It's an alphabetically organized
(by last name) webpage that allows aviation newsgroup denizens the
opportunity to see -- and be seen -- by fellow posters.

Why? Well, as marvelous as these newsgroups are, they are
"2-dimensional" -- meaning that we never really got to see each other.
Worse, we were never able to see what the other guy was flying -- but not
anymore! With labor provided by yours truly, and server space provided by
this group's own Jav Henderson, we have created a "virtual Main Street" for
newsgroup users to get to "meet" each other. After three years, you can see
most of the newsgroup "regulars" there now.

Want *your* pride and joy displayed, for everyone here to drool on?
Simply email me half a dozen pix of you and your bird, and a short narrative
(where you're based, how long you've been flying, how long you've been on
the newsgroups, etc.) to , and I'll get 'em up ASAP!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 9th 05, 05:35 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Check out http://alexisparkinn.com/rec_aviation.htm to see the following
new additions to the Rec.Aviation "Rogues Gallery":

Is putting 'new people' into a "New Additions" section (outside of the
alphabetical listings) a possibility?

Next batch of New Additions people, a few months from now, bumps the old
'new people' in with everybody else.

Montblack

Old November 9th 05, 06:22 PM
Maule Driver

Thanks again for doing it Jay! Just really nice. Makes it more of a
community.

Old November 9th 05, 08:58 PM
Jay Honeck

Is putting 'new people' into a "New Additions" section (outside of the
alphabetical listings) a possibility?

Next batch of New Additions people, a few months from now, bumps the old
'new people' in with everybody else.

There are many things I wish I had done differently with the Rogues Gallery
from the get-go.

One of them would have been to split the site up into more and smaller
chunks. Right now, there are only three pages, and they're getting pretty
large. Load times on a dial-up network are probably absurd. I should have
more separate pages, by the alphabet.

The other would be a "New People" section. Unfortunately, to go back and
re-do the whole thing now is going to be pretty time-consuming, and I've got
a zillion other irons in the fire...

Maybe once we've got all the suites done, and we're in the off-season, and
there's nothing broken to fix at the hotel or on the airplane, and my kids
don't have any activities scheduled, and there's no CAP meeting, and there's
no Airport Commission meeting, and there's no Big Kids Toy Show (my latest
project) meetings scheduled, and the yard doesn't need raking...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 9th 05, 09:25 PM
Eduardo K.

In article tptcf.533442$_o.40873@attbi_s71,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Maybe once we've got all the suites done, and we're in the off-season, and
there's nothing broken to fix at the hotel or on the airplane, and my kids
don't have any activities scheduled, and there's no CAP meeting, and there's
no Airport Commission meeting, and there's no Big Kids Toy Show (my latest
project) meetings scheduled, and the yard doesn't need raking...

Does your host have mysql and php? I could slap a small php script to
make the site dynamic in a couple of hours if you could use it..

--
Eduardo K. | Some say it's forgive and forget.
http://www.carfun.cl | I say forget about forgiving just accept.
Old November 9th 05, 09:38 PM
Javier Henderson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Maybe once we've got all the suites done, and we're in the off-season, and
there's nothing broken to fix at the hotel or on the airplane, and my kids
don't have any activities scheduled, and there's no CAP meeting, and there's
no Airport Commission meeting, and there's no Big Kids Toy Show (my latest
project) meetings scheduled, and the yard doesn't need raking...

Does your host have mysql and php? I could slap a small php script to
make the site dynamic in a couple of hours if you could use it..

I run the system that Jay uses, and yes, there's mysql and php. If Jay
is OK with making it dynamic, I'm OK too.

Jay?

-jav
Old November 10th 05, 02:36 AM

Jay,

Thanks for adding me to the gallery, its great to be among the "owners"
list rather than the "renters" although my bank account looked a lot
better when I was renting :-)

Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P3-05 A-848

Old November 10th 05, 03:44 AM
Jay Honeck

Does your host have mysql and php? I could slap a small php script to
make the site dynamic in a couple of hours if you could use it..

I run the system that Jay uses, and yes, there's mysql and php. If Jay
is OK with making it dynamic, I'm OK too.

Jay?

Um, well, I don't know.

Without warning, we've just crossed some mysterious, often invisible line
between people like me, who are able to maintain and operate a website, and
people like you, who *really* understand what's going on INSIDE the
website... I suddenly feel cold, and lost, and...ignorant.

:-)

What, exactly, does it mean to "make the site dynamic"?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 05, 03:45 AM
Jay Honeck

I've never seen a bank account that looked as good as a nice airplane. :-)
Bank accounts are only worth what you can do with them.

Amen, brother.

I may not be rich, but I wouldn't trade owning a plane for a king's
ransom...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA