Eggenfellner Engines?

Old November 29th 05, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Eggenfellner Engines?

Does anybody out there have any experience with the Eggenfellner
conversion of the Subaru engine?

I would like to hear both pro and con -- beyond the standard
admonishments about certified vs noncertified engines, of which I am
very aware.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old November 29th 05, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

It'll probably be a fracas about automotive vs. aircraft engines, not
certified vs. non-certified. Plenty of people here flying
non-certified Lycoming clones, I bet, but the automotive discussion
seems to create the most heat.

I'm also interested in this subject, and would like to add the Mazda
13B rotary to the mix as a point of comparison, I'm curious about both.

Regards,

Ben Hallert

Old November 30th 05, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:32:06 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

Does anybody out there have any experience with the Eggenfellner
conversion of the Subaru engine?

I would like to hear both pro and con -- beyond the standard
admonishments about certified vs noncertified engines, of which I am
very aware.

I interviewed the guy when he had his shop in NH, for Mick Myal's
"Contact!" magazine. I was very impressed with his engineering and
execution of the engine.

The psru was very very elegant. He created his own manifolds and
modified the Subaru electronics to work at flight power.

His engine mount incorporated numerous tubes to triangulate
extensively.

Sorry, I've no information on any failures, I just haven't heard of
any. That doesn't mean there have been none.

Corky Scott
Old December 1st 05, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I've no information on any failures...

Here is one on a Subaru - not sure it was Eggenfellner:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...21X00829&key=1

There is a discussion group for subaru engines
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/airsoob/