Lost plane found in Johor, Malaysia

Old September 2nd 03, 03:17 PM
Zahi

Default Lost plane found in Johor, Malaysia

A friend of mine, who is the daughter of Malaysian royalty said that
some of the native people, (they are called "Orang Asli" or
"Sangkai"), found an old military aircraft deep in the jungle of
Malaysia. A Malay man accompanied them into the jungle and took some
videos. I'm supposed to receive a copy of the videos in a couple of
weeks. I offerred to help them locate someone who might be interested
in re-interring the remains of the crew and documenting the aircraft
itself. Right now the details are sketchy. The Malaysian government
gave up on it. The only detail I have for sure is that the tail
number is "WG871". Someone said it might be a deHavilland Vampire.
Anyone know what the tail numbers might signify?
Old September 2nd 03, 04:24 PM
Vic Flintham

In article , Zahi
writes
A friend of mine, who is the daughter of Malaysian royalty said that
some of the native people, (they are called "Orang Asli" or
"Sangkai"), found an old military aircraft deep in the jungle of
Malaysia. A Malay man accompanied them into the jungle and took some
videos. I'm supposed to receive a copy of the videos in a couple of
weeks. I offerred to help them locate someone who might be interested
in re-interring the remains of the crew and documenting the aircraft
itself. Right now the details are sketchy. The Malaysian government
gave up on it. The only detail I have for sure is that the tail
number is "WG871". Someone said it might be a deHavilland Vampire.
Anyone know what the tail numbers might signify?

WG871 was a Vampire FB9 of 60 Sqn based Tengah reported missing from a
night navex on 17.3.52 (for the benefit of American readers that is 17
March 1952 :-)). The pilot is missing presumed dead.

--
Vic Flintham
Cold war military aviation

Old September 3rd 03, 01:11 AM
av8r

Hi Zahi

The aircraft is a de Havilland Vampire F.B Mk.9 built under license by
English Electric Company Limited of Preston, Lancashire.

The most likely unit is No. 45 (F) Squadron. It was based at R.A.F.
Station Butterworth, Malaya. The squadron operated the Vampire F.B. Mk.
9 there from May 1955 to January 1956.

Two other possibilities a

No. 28 (F) Squadron based at R.A.F. Station Sek Kong, Hong Kong and
later R.A.F. Station Kai Tek, Hong Kong and later back to Sek Kong, Hong
Kong. They operated the type in that region from February 1952 to
August 1956. Two of the aircraft operated by the squadron were serial
numbers WG874 and WG877.

No. 60 (F) Squadron was based at R.A.F. Station Tengah, Singapore from
March 1952 to August 1955 while operating the Vampire F.B. Mk. 9.

Can you please contact me at: .

Cheers...Chris

Old September 3rd 03, 07:57 PM
Zahi

Does anyone know exactly where in Johor this aircraft was found? I
live at the other end of Malaysia (Penang) and am willing to assist if
necessary. Further details would be appreciated.

Regards,

Laurie.

The aircraft is a tropicalised version of the FB Mk 5 of which a number
exist in museums around the world. Of itself WG871 is of relatively
little interest and with a number of wooden components will be past
being of any value. However, the pilot's remains are probably with the
aircraft and I would hope that the proper authorities are approached
before any further poking around takes place.

The re-interrment of the pilot's remains and informing the appropriate
relatives and authorities are my primary concern. Thanks to the
information on this forum, we now have a good idea about the
nationality of the plane, (my friend's contacts had assumed it was
American, from WW II, which seems unlikely). The details of the
location of the crash are being sent to me by my friend and I should
have them in about 2 weeks. I'll post more information later. All I
know so far is that it is "several days journey" into the jungle. I'm
going to check with them if the site is accessibly by car or
helicopter as well.

rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 July 1st 04 08:27 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 December 1st 03 06:27 AM
A Good Story Badwater Bill Home Built 15 September 3rd 03 03:00 PM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 September 1st 03 07:27 AM
Chicago lawyers plane found in Toronto harbour Wooduuuward Home Built 27 July 16th 03 07:32 AM