Quit Bashing China!

Old October 23rd 03, 07:18 PM
Bob McKellar

Default Quit Bashing China!

We see a China that is stable and prosperous -- a nation
that respects the peace of its neighbors and works to secure
the freedom of its own people.

-G.W. Bush

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...031022-12.html

------------

Let's have no more talk of China building offensive
missiles, aircraft and ships.

And let's certainly not make any claims of internal
repression there.

There is nothing to worry about.

Bob McKellar

Old October 23rd 03, 08:29 PM
Duke of URL

"Bob McKellar" wrote in message

We see a China that is stable and prosperous -- a nation
that respects the peace of its neighbors and works to secure
the freedom of its own people.
-G.W. Bush

Let's have no more talk of China building offensive
missiles, aircraft and ships.
And let's certainly not make any claims of internal
repression there.
There is nothing to worry about.

Conversations with political leaders I've had convince me that they
must have to have their tongues repaired regularly from having to bite
them. I'm glad I don't have to worry about repercussions from MY
saying something.

Old October 23rd 03, 09:20 PM
BF Lake

"Duke of URL" macbenahATkdsiDOTnet wrote in message

Conversations with political leaders I've had convince me that they
must have to have their tongues repaired regularly from having to bite
them. I'm glad I don't have to worry about repercussions from MY
saying something.

Ha! You haven't looked out the window have you? The guys who are dressed
like the Blues Brothers who just arrived in the matching black helo are in
your front and back yards right now. They monitor smn of course.

Regards,
Barry

Old October 23rd 03, 11:46 PM
ZZBunker

Bob McKellar wrote in message ...
We see a China that is stable and prosperous -- a nation
that respects the peace of its neighbors and works to secure
the freedom of its own people.

Nobody has ever bashed China. Most people only
bash the Republican Party who are not morons
like the Democrats, but rather idiots.

Since the last time China worked to secure the
freedom of it's people was sometime
before they passed a law about family size.

-G.W. Bush

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...031022-12.html

------------

Let's have no more talk of China building offensive
missiles, aircraft and ships.

And let's certainly not make any claims of internal
repression there.

There is nothing to worry about.

Not many people are worried. Since the people
who can run sucessful buisness' are leaving
the U.S. faster than the Republicans can
kick them out.

Bob McKellar

Old October 24th 03, 04:39 AM
Kevin Brooks

Bob McKellar wrote in message ...
We see a China that is stable and prosperous -- a nation
that respects the peace of its neighbors and works to secure
the freedom of its own people.

-G.W. Bush

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...031022-12.html

------------

Let's have no more talk of China building offensive
missiles, aircraft and ships.

And let's certainly not make any claims of internal
repression there.

There is nothing to worry about.

Bob McKellar

Gee, Bob, you must have missed the preceeding passage (context is
everything...):

"Today, America and Australia are working with Japan, the Philippines,
Thailand, Indonesia, and Singapore, and other nations to expand trade
and to fight terror, to keep the peace -- the peace in the Taiwan
Straits."

Taken together with your quote, it looks like what he was expressing
was the vision of the China we (and the other folks who live in the
region) want to see, not what is necessarily there now. I don't find
that vision unreasonable--do you?

Brooks
Old October 24th 03, 06:03 AM
Peter Stickney

In article YR0mb.5987$9E1.30006@attbi_s52,
David LOney writes:
Bob McKellar wrote:

We see a China that is stable and prosperous -- a nation
that respects the peace of its neighbors and works to secure
the freedom of its own people.

-G.W. Bush

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...031022-12.html

------------

Let's have no more talk of China building offensive
missiles, aircraft and ships.

And let's certainly not make any claims of internal
repression there.

There is nothing to worry about.

Bob McKellar

Now, The Chinese President has one seven year term, elected by the party. It
is anti dictator in the one continual nation that has seen more political
(empirical) takeovers than any other survivmg nation in existence today.

Mao Zedong wanted to ally with the USA but President Eisenhower refused to
hold an audience. Josef Stalin saw Mao.

That's be a good trick, considering that the People's Liberation Army
had been actively engaged in combat with the U.S. and U.N. forces for
two years before Eisenhower became President.

There really is nothing to worry about unless Korea does go balistic.

The U.S. itself has very little to worry about if the DPRK does Pull a
Cagney (Top O' the World, Ma!). The ROK and Japan would certainly get
mussed up, and the Chinese and Russians have the Great Bad Luck of
being downwind. (Into every life some fallout must rain)
My bet is that if the DPRK goes ape, Japan and the Republic of Korea
will be licking their wounds for a few decades - and the DPRK will end
up being inhabited by rats & roaches. The only extra is whether they
plow salt into the fields, much as happened to Carthage.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old October 24th 03, 07:08 PM
Marc Reeve

David LOney writes:
Bob McKellar wrote:

[...]

I suspect Loney was thinking of Nguyen Sinh Cung aka Nguyen That Thanh
aka Ho Chi Minh. Of course, he also has the wrong president (Uncle Ho is
widely reported as having appealed to the Truman administration for aid
after declaring the Democratic Republic of Vietnam in 1945. Little did
he know he'd already been sold down the river at the Potsdam talks.).

-Marc
--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is
Old October 24th 03, 07:08 PM
Marc Reeve

Kevin Brooks wrote:
[...]

On a semi-related, but rather OT, note:

Madame Chiang Kai-shek (Soon Mei-ling) apparently died yesterday, at her
Manhattan apartment. She was 106 years old.

-Marc
Old October 25th 03, 03:01 PM
Olivers

Marc Reeve muttered....

On a semi-related, but rather OT, note:

Madame Chiang Kai-shek (Soon Mei-ling) apparently died yesterday, at her
Manhattan apartment. She was 106 years old.

Which gives lie to the old maxim that "The good die young"

(or at least in my father's view, after spending much of '42 thru '45
exposed to the often nauseating peculations of her family and cronies)

TMO
Old October 25th 03, 11:50 PM
Rev Prez

Bob McKellar wrote in
:

We see a China that is stable and prosperous -- a nation
that respects the peace of its neighbors and works to secure
the freedom of its own people.

-G.W. Bush

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...031022-12.html

Let's have no more talk of China building offensive
missiles, aircraft and ships.

The context of this quote is important. Bush's speechwriters were smart
enough to separate China from discussion about Japan and the largely
democratic, free marketeering Asian Tigers and use language that is more
visionary than descriptive. He's not saying China is not repressive or a
potential strategic adversary, but that China can choose to be and most
likely will in the end.

Rev Prez