GNS 430W vs GNS 480

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 1st 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
JD

Default GNS 430W vs GNS 480

On Jan 1, 5:44 pm, "Roy N5804F"
wrote:
"JD" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

On Jan 1, 5:17 pm, "Roy N5804F"
wrote:

Why is a new version of the software is required and what changes it will
introduce ?

I don't know what v3.0 firmware for the 480 will bring. The current 480
firmware is 2.1, so 3.0 should have some significate enhancements. I
just got this from the support guys when I was upgrading to 2.1

When did Garmin announced that they will "continue development and
support
for the 480" ?
What do all the aircraft fitted with only dual 430/530's use for primary
enroute navigation under instrument rules ?

What ever they have been using. Could be VOR for example.I do believe that the updated software for the 480 is required to cure

existing problems found with the 480 during /W certification for the
430/530 units ?

The VOR portion is an integral part of the 430/530 so I would dispute that
the 430/530's are certified for enroute in a normal certified IFR
installation.

Am I wrong again ?

Roy, could just be a time lag in reading/posting, but the 530/430s ARE
NOT currently certified for PRIMARY ENROUTE NAVIGATION, IFR or
otherwise.