Aero Club Albatross Hosting Ridge/Wave Seminars

Old December 13th 17, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Aero Club Albatross Hosting Ridge/Wave Seminars

This winter, Aero Club Albatross is hosting several two seminars on wave and ridge soaring. Please join us on:

January 20th: Wave Soaring

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wave-so...418300#tickets

February 17th: Ridge Soaring

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/soaring...ts-41260618621

The seminars will be hosted at the Warren County Library, which is located only five minutes from Blairstown airport. Feel free to fly in and a club member would gladly drive you to the seminars. Conversely, we are located only 7 minutes away from Rt.80.

Tickets are $10 for juniors, $20 for ACA members and $40 for visitors. If you join as an associate member ($66), you can pay the ACA member rate. Becoming an associate would let you join our egroup, tow behind the soon-to-be ACA towplane, use ACA tools/facilities and participate in club social events.

If you have any questions, feel free to post or contact me at danielsazhin at gmail.com

All the best,
Daniel

________________________

Schedule:

Wave Seminar- January 20th
10:15-11am John Bird: Wave Theory/Mechanics
Discussion about how wave and rotor work. How do the fluids work? What determines if a wave will propagate?
11:15am-12pm: Phil Chidekel: Wave Forecasting/Prediction
How to read what is a “good” wave day. Interpreting broad synoptics, soundings and useful tools such as Skysight.
12pm-1pm Lunch
1-1:45pm: Daniel Sazhin- Wave Soaring Technique and analysis of useful logs..
2pm-2:45pm Bill Thar- High Altitude physiology and wave safety
3pm-3:45pm: Richard Kaletta: Review of Emergency landing sites in the vicinity of the Catskills.
4:30-5:30pm Social Hour- Buckhill Inn

Ridge Seminar- February 17th
10:15-11am Ridge Soaring Theory/Technique- Cookie
11:15-12pm: Ridge weather- Prediction and dangers- Daniel Sazhin
12pm-1pm: Lunch
1pm-1:45pm: Soaring Blue Mountain NW- Panel consisting expert ridge pilots: Robert Templin, Ron Schwartz and Jonathan Leal
2pm-2:45pm: Soaring Blue Mountain SE- Bill Thar
3-3:45pm: Operations. Ridge guidelines + getting checked out. Guidance for visitors and club members- Rob Dunning: Safety Committee Chairman
4:30-6pm Social Hour- Location TBD

Old December 13th 17, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Several or two?

Proofread before posting, this forum does not allow editing posts after the fact......

Yes, good info can be attained from either of these events, worth going to.

Still trying to get my diamond altitude from Middletown, then I can claim all SSA badges from one site, especially in the NE. Last I looked, there were 6 diamond altitude's in NYS....trying to make 7. :-)
The 1000K is a tough nut to crack from here though......:-(

Yes, I have from "A" to 2 diamonds from Middletown, not in a 1-26 though, kudos to Ron Schwartz for that......

Carry on in this thread......
Old December 13th 17, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry about the typo.

A Diamond climb from Middletown/Wurtsboro is definitely doable. But a low notch near Wurtsboro is definitely required. Would be tricky to do it over Middletown Airport.

Regarding a 1000km flight, if you take a high tow near High Point, it would be doable to connect with the Blairstown ridge. You might not make Middletown at the end of the day, but the task need not be a closed circuit.

All the best,
Daniel
Old December 14th 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan S

On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 20:13:40 UTC, wrote:
[...]

Is there any chance that this could be recorded and uploaded for interested non-US parties please?

I'm sure there's plenty of interested people. Just raw video dumped onto YouTube or Vimeo would be great.
Old December 14th 17, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 12:06:33 PM UTC-5, Dan S wrote:
[...]

Hey Dan,

We'll definitely look into recording the seminars to preserve the valuable information presented. I am not sure how and when the video will be uploaded afterwards; it's still a matter of organizing who will be filming it.

All the best,
Daniel
Old December 15th 17, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey Guys,

Some updates:

1) One of the links I sent apparently did not work on mobile devices. Links updated below:

Jan 20th Wave seminar: https://aca-wave-soaring.eventbrite.com

Feb 17th Ridge seminar: https://aca-ridge-soaring.eventbrite.com

2) Useful study material includes looking at flight logs on OLC and the "Ridge Map".

Take a look he https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...fwpVFSCiwyZbvU

- Karl's intro to the Mifflin ridge area: http://ridgesewing.com/mifflin/ridge.htm

- Tom Knauff's book: Soaring the Bald Eagle Ridge

- Contact me directly if you would like Bob Fitch's "Blue Fly" stories

3) Sign-ups are going well! We already have over 23 participants signed up for the Wave seminar and 18 for the Ridge one! Be sure to sign up if you're interested.

All the best,
Daniel

Old December 19th 17, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 11:57:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Further useful materials:

The excellent article on wave safety in this issue of Soaring- 32 ways to Stay Alive in Wave! by Jim Herd.

- "An Unusually High Summertime Wave Flight" by Ward Hindman - Soaring- April 2004, Page 38

This paper discussed an 18,000ft wave flight in the Catskill wave!

All the best,
Daniel
Old December 19th 17, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Since we're talking wave here, Exploring the Monster by Robert Whelan is a great read. Its the story of the Sierra Wave Project in the early 1950s. No carbon fiber or pressurized cabins - just gutzy pilots literally soaring into the unknown. Highly recommended.
Old January 2nd 18, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

Hey Guys,

Happy New Year! I just wanted to ping anyone who is thinking about coming to the seminars to sign up... the wave seminar is only three weeks away!

With over 30 folks signed up, it will be a blast!