Portable DVD players for kids?

Old July 3rd 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Portable DVD players for kids?

All of the sudden the last three fly-in guests (with kids) we've had at
the inn have had those slick little portable DVD players attached to
the backs of the head-rests, for viewing in the plane. Two of the
three had two of them -- on on each seatback, for separate viewing.

I've watched as the price of these little gizmos has dropped to around
0.1 AMUs, and have considered installing them in Atlas for my kids to
enjoy.

For those who have them, how do you get power back to them? Has anyone
here installed a cigar lighter in the back seat area of their plane?
Would this require a 337, or just an A&P sign-off?

Can anyone recommend a specific brand? How 'bout mounting them -- any
special tricks?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 3rd 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns

Are you talking about those that are actually built into the head rests and
are hardwired for power and sound or those that come with cases that strap
onto the seats?
Jim

ups.com...

Old July 3rd 06, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

We bought one of our daughters a set for Christmas last year to keep her
two occupied on her frequent car trips between Rogers and Tulsa. The kit
came with a six foot power cord to the player and another six foot cord
between the player and each display. I'd expect that to be enough for
the cabin of most light aircraft.

I hate to say it, but we got the pre-packaged set from the local
Wal-Mart and it seems to be working just fine. I think it was less than
0.2 AMU.

The have elastic and Velcro straps on the displays to hold them to the
typical automotive headrest. They are meant to be portable so there
really isn't any installation to worry about. All you need is an
available 12V cigarette lighter outlet.

Wouldn't it be great if we could get these set up as remote displays for
a GNS4/530 and start teaching them about navigation early on? But then
we don't really need another "you're chasing the localizer" in the back
seat do we?

Old July 3rd 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John Doe[_1_]

My son just watches it on his lap and it runs off the battery. Best $150
I've ever spent.

ups.com...

Old July 3rd 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

I had my mechanic install another lighter socket. Copilots side, under
the panel for my satellite radio. This one is wired right to the
battery so it is always hot, makes it useful to charge cell phones or
other betteries without the master having to be on. These are a minor
alteration so just a logbook entry.

Old July 3rd 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_1_]

Newps wrote:
I had my mechanic install another lighter socket.

One could even get a $13 Radio Shack lighter "splitter" until getting
around to having the extra installed.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062271&cp=2032056.2032136.203 2154&pg=2&y=7&x=10&numProdsPerPage=20&parentPage=f amily
Old July 3rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Jim Burns wrote:
Are you talking about those that are actually built into the head rests and
are hardwired for power and sound or those that come with cases that strap
onto the seats?

If we're talking built in units, I want to be adopted. :-) Thinking
AOPA's win-a-twin setup.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old July 3rd 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

One of the players that we bought for our kids came with a seat back holder,
the other we bought a caselogic seat back holder. Both work fine.

For power we bought a three way splitter for the cigarette lighter and an
extension cord to get power into the "wayback" seats. It works in both the
airplane and the car. I wouldn't mind wiring in a couple aux power plugs
for the middle and rear seats. Maybe while the interior is out during our
annual.

Double check which circuit your cigarette lighter is on. Ours happens to be
on the heater combustion fan circuit, so we know if it starts getting cold,
the kids need to give back a few amps!

Jim

Old July 3rd 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

B A R R Y wrote:
Newps wrote:

I had my mechanic install another lighter socket.

One could even get a $13 Radio Shack lighter "splitter" until getting
around to having the extra installed.

You can do that but those devices throw off a lot of noise that you will
hear in your headset. Try a short flight with the setup before you take
a long flight.
Old July 4th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Jay Honeck wrote:
All of the sudden the last three fly-in guests (with kids) we've had at
the inn have had those slick little portable DVD players attached to
the backs of the head-rests, for viewing in the plane. Two of the
three had two of them -- on on each seatback, for separate viewing.

My boys have been flying with me since they were 3 and 4 years old.
They bring their MP3 players and books. That's enough to get from
California to Florida. Not sure what the purpose of the DVD player is
other than an attempt to shorten their attention span. Not a good
device in this parent's opinion.

-Robert