What is AOPA doing to their approach plates?

Old March 13th 05, 01:29 AM
Roy Smith

Default What is AOPA doing to their approach plates?

Here's two URLs pointing to PDF's of the same approach:

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...02/00548I2.PDF
http://download.aopa.org/iap/2005021...ils_rwy_02.pdf

The airnav version is crystal clear. The AOPA version is blurry and
pixelated. Zooming in, it almost looks as if somebody took a printed plate
and scanned it. What the heck is AOPA doing to the PDF files that make
them look this bad?
Old March 13th 05, 02:34 AM
Juan Jimenez

AirNav is pointing you to the National Aeronatical Chart Office. The PDFs
appear to be generated from original postscript sources.

The AOPA does appear to be either a scanned document, or it is being
produced from a lower qualify source, or it's being produced with an older
version of Acrobat, or ??

Why not ask AOPA?

Juan

Old March 13th 05, 02:46 AM
Marty Shapiro

Roy Smith wrote in
:

Here's two URLs pointing to PDF's of the same approach:

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...02/00548I2.PDF
http://download.aopa.org/iap/2005021...ils_rwy_02.pdf

The airnav version is crystal clear. The AOPA version is blurry and
pixelated. Zooming in, it almost looks as if somebody took a printed
plate and scanned it. What the heck is AOPA doing to the PDF files
that make them look this bad?

AOPA a while ago stated that they were slightly reducing the quality of the
image so it would download faster. I tried the two links you provided and
observed that the Airnav version was a 565 KB download, while the AOPA
version was 71 KB. When I printed both versions, I found both just as
usable.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old March 13th 05, 02:51 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Marty Shapiro wrote:

Roy Smith wrote in
:

Here's two URLs pointing to PDF's of the same approach:

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...02/00548I2.PDF
http://download.aopa.org/iap/2005021...ils_rwy_02.pdf

The airnav version is crystal clear. The AOPA version is blurry and
pixelated. Zooming in, it almost looks as if somebody took a printed
plate and scanned it. What the heck is AOPA doing to the PDF files
that make them look this bad?

AOPA a while ago stated that they were slightly reducing the quality of the
image so it would download faster. I tried the two links you provided and
observed that the Airnav version was a 565 KB download, while the AOPA
version was 71 KB. When I printed both versions, I found both just as
usable.

OK, that's a fair enough explanation. If I was still using dial-up, I
would certainly be going for the AOPA versions.
Old March 14th 05, 03:15 PM
OtisWinslow

Just go here and forget AOPA:

http://avn.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp