a pilot question

Old February 7th 08, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

Default a pilot question

Hi all,

I'm a pilot. I mean for real. Like certificated. My question is, why
aren't sims worth a damn? They're cheezy and crappy. The flight models
are wrong. The radio equipment doesn't work right. The terrain isn't
photorealistic and I can't pull negative Gs. You can't do pilotage.
The dead reckoning doesn't match up with real charts. What's wrong
with those computer programming geek f0ks? Can't they get anything
right?

When will I be able to learn something from a sim?

Old February 7th 08, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Guy[_2_]

Sims like these exist, the only problem is that they cost a few millions of
dollars.
Being a real pilot you should know that !!

Old February 8th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

It depends on what sim you have in mind; they are all different.

I have tried 4 or 5. They all sucked.

As far as desktop simulators go, a very large community of regular simmers
would disagree with you, and many of them are also "real" pilots.

What is a "real' pilot?

When it comes to more advanced simulators, virtually none of your complaints
has any basis.

Which advanced simulators are you referring to?

Some pilots learn humility in a sim.

I learn humility when I fly. How can you be humbled by a simulator?

Old February 8th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

Simulation is not reality. Live with it, and enjoy the huge value to be
obtained from a $100 simulator.

Gregg-

Entertainment value, you mean?

Not as entertaining as flying a plane.

Old February 8th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Mxsmanic

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net writes:

Which has about as much excitement as watching water boil when
compared to flying a helicopter.

Perhaps the only "real" pilots are helicopter pilots.
Old February 9th 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

On Feb 7, 10:25*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
Entertainment value, you mean?

Simulators can be a source of entertainment, but they can also be learning
tools, and diagnostic tools.

Not as entertaining as flying a plane.

That is a matter of personal opinion.

I've done both.

However, if you have not done both, then it is a matter over which you
can have no opinion.

safety pilot question Rachel Piloting 2 December 9th 05 03:37 AM
Question about pilot forums John Huthmaker Piloting 14 November 28th 05 07:45 AM
Sport pilot question [email protected] Home Built 27 May 30th 05 08:09 PM
Fighter pilot question Peter MacPherson Piloting 10 October 8th 04 03:12 PM
pilot-in-command question... Tom Kreyche Piloting 8 August 23rd 04 01:53 PM