FSX Install problems

Old July 28th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Harold A Climer

Default FSX Install problems

After quite a while I decided to play around with FSX that I have on
my home computer. When I clicked on the FSX icon I got an error
message saying the version of directx on my computer was not
compatible with this version of FS.
I used dxdiag to find out which version of directx was installed on my
computer and it was 9.0c. I did a clean boot and re-installed directx
9.0c form disk 2 of the FSX package as per MS article #256182.
I un-installed FSX, and re-installed it. The process seemed to go OK,
but it took a very long time to install it(Almost a hour). Now when I
click on the icon I get the first splash screen and that is all. It
never proceeds further. Any ideas as to what is going on?
Harold A. Climer
Dept. Of Physics, Geology, and Astronomy
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Room 406A Engineering/Math/Computer Science Building
423-425-4523

Old July 28th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
RandyL[_2_]

Hi Harold,
It could be that your fsx.cfg configuration file simply needs to be
deleted. Once you delete this file, then the next time that FSX starts up,
it will re-build this file. When you un-install FSX, it doesn't get rid of
this file, and there may be something in this file that is causing the
program to not start up.
If you are running with Windows Vista, the fsx.cfg files lives at:
Desktop - [your name] - AppData - Roaming - Microsoft - FSX. You will have
to set Windows Explorer to display "All Files" in order to see this config
file. Try deleting this file then start FSX up again. If your running
Windows XP, then I can't help you find it, as I don't remember where
Microsoft puts that file in the XP OS.
And lastly, there is a newsgroup that is specifically dedicated to
Microsoft Flight Simulator. There are many people there who are WAY more
knowledgeable concerning MSFS than I am. It is an excellent resource for all
things MSFS related. The newsgroup is alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim.
I hope this helped...

Randy L.

--
Remember: Any landing that you can walk away from,
is a landing that you can be fined, sued, or prosecuted for.

"Harold A Climer" wrote in message
[...]

Anyone install the EI FP5L? Doug Vetter Owning 3 March 1st 08 08:08 PM
Can't install FSX Blue Simulators 6 November 22nd 06 10:42 PM
X52 install problems Gian Simulators 0 June 21st 05 07:47 AM
Gunship 2000 Install problems Markku Ojala Simulators 0 February 19th 05 09:29 AM
Hours to install S-TEC Frode Berg Owning 4 May 8th 04 02:08 PM