Tracon II, Win XP, no sound

Old August 9th 08, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
tscottme[_2_]

Default Tracon II, Win XP, no sound

I recently rediscovered my favorite computer sim, Tracon. I used it in
college, the college used it for ATC training. I loved it, that was several
operating systems and PCs ago. I've been able to get Tracon II (or Tracon
for Windows) running again on my Win XP but there is no sound. Can anyone
help me with this. I;ve tried copying the only sound related driver from
Tracon to my c:\windows\sys32\drivers subdirectory and that didn't work.

I sure would appreciate any help or suggestions.

--

Scott

Old August 9th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
wbertram

tscottme wrote:
I recently rediscovered my favorite computer sim, Tracon. I used it in
college, the college used it for ATC training. I loved it, that was several
operating systems and PCs ago. I've been able to get Tracon II (or Tracon
for Windows) running again on my Win XP but there is no sound. Can anyone
help me with this. I;ve tried copying the only sound related driver from
Tracon to my c:\windows\sys32\drivers subdirectory and that didn't work.

I sure would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Great game!!!

The computers at the time this was developed didn't have audio
capabilities or speakers.. They generally had a little "noise maker"
which was more like a buzzer, than anything else. The Tracon developers
developed a very clever way to make almost audible sound come out of
this noisemaker. I doubt that there is any to use this with rhe audio
systems on present computers.

The game CAN display text messages though, and that is the way you will
have to use it.

What version of windows do you have it running with?
Old August 9th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
tscottme[_2_]

"wbertram" wrote in message
tscottme wrote:
[...]

I'm using Tracon for Windows v1.01 in a WinXP Home SP2.

I've been using it and reading the text communication windows rather than
the audio. I've learned it's just as addictive as when I first used it
years ago. I bought it, loved it, and then later used it in an ATC course
in college. The improvements from the DOS days are welcome. Thanks for the
reply. Searching the NG archive shows this was a common issue usually
resolved by moving a driver to the proper directory, but that was in the
Win95 days.

--

Scott