"...but I don't have a lathe."

Old September 9th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Default "...but I don't have a lathe."

Steve Hix wrote:
In article , Dan
wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

"Skosh" is the pidgen English derivation of the Japanese "sukoshi", which
means "just a little bit" or "a small portion".
A scooch is 1/4 skosh.

Metric or imperial skosh?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Whitworth.

As opposed to BA skoosh.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 9th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:40:47 -0500, Dan wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article , Dan
wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

"Skosh" is the pidgen English derivation of the Japanese "sukoshi", which
means "just a little bit" or "a small portion".
A scooch is 1/4 skosh.
Metric or imperial skosh?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Whitworth.

As opposed to BA skoosh.

Heck, I went to school with B. A. Skoosh.....

Ron Wanttaja
Old September 9th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:40:47 -0500, Dan wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article , Dan
wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

"Skosh" is the pidgen English derivation of the Japanese "sukoshi", which
means "just a little bit" or "a small portion".
A scooch is 1/4 skosh.
Metric or imperial skosh?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Whitworth.

As opposed to BA skoosh.

Heck, I went to school with B. A. Skoosh.....

Ron Wanttaja

OK, that did it, I need a scooch on the rooks.

"Waitress, I love the way you roll your r's"
"You should see when I wear heels"

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 9th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

How many RCH in a skoosh?

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old September 9th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

RST Engineering wrote:
How many RCH in a skoosh?

Jim

Depends, are we talking metric or imperial CHs?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old September 9th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Sep 7, 10:39*am, Dan wrote:
Charles Vincent wrote:
Michael Horowitz wrote:
On 17 Aug 2005 10:57:42 -0700, wrote:

"...but I don't have a lathe."

in this article, Bob describes how to chuck something like a 2"
washer (using a coupling) so that one can reduce the washer's
diameter.

I'm staring at a piece of 11/16" 4130 steel tubing, three inches long
which is supposed to slip into a piece of 3/4 OD tubing and act as an
inner sleeve. *this inner-sleeve-to-be needs to be turned just a
scooch so that it will fit.
It seems to me that there must be a simply way to do this; I
immediately go to to the most Rube Goldberg arrangement I can dream
up.

At the moment I'm thinking of turning down two *washers so that they
matches the ID of the work piece; that will keep the work centered on
a piece of threaded rod.
Open to other ideas - MIke

How much needs to be taken off?

Charles

* *He said a "scooch" which could mean "as much as can be removed using
emery cloth while watching the news" or "just enough so I don't need a
BFH to make it fit."

My first thought was to use a brake cylinder hone. They should
be available at most good auto parts stores or via the web. Mine
has three stones and it wouldn't fit into the rear cylinder of my
Pinto, so I removed one and repositioned the other two opposite
each other.

Then there is the West Virginia Tool and Die hone, a strip of emery
paper duct taped to a wooden dowel chucked into a drill.

--

FF

Old September 10th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Sep 9, 10:37*am, "RST Engineering" wrote:
How many RCH in a skoosh?

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
* * * * --Aristotle

Ok. I probably shouldn't post this but................

A few years back during a rather wild party at my house that same
topic came up. Keep in mind this is entirely "un scientific".... I had
5 girls donate samples. 2 blondes, one redhead, one brunette and an
asian, And I mean jet black hair... I am a machinist and I got out
my tenths mic and went to work. The one blonde was .0035, the other
one was.0032. Red head was right at .0039 and the asian was .0042.
The red one was by far the smoothest feeling. The smallest hair blonde
was a true blonde, the other one had a darker tint . Read into this as
you see fit but that was the results..

God why did I just disclose that ????

B.
Old September 10th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

In article
,
stol wrote:

[...]

Looks reasonable, given similar experiments done decades ago.

What you really need to do, though, is to get a larger sample group.

Say, 25 of each type, and see what the ranges work out to. Then figure
standard deviation, etc.

Think of it as a Science Experiment(tm).

God why did I just disclose that ????

Just how wild *was* that party? And is the statute of limitations up yet?
Old September 10th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Steve Hix wrote:
In article
,
stol wrote:

[...]

A party is not officially wild unless police, fire department and
animal have to be called.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Why is Soaring declining f.blair Soaring 266 February 7th 09 12:58 PM
Antique ex-freon now used as air compressor seen this type? Jason D. Home Built 12 November 17th 04 03:07 PM
Non-Flying Ladders Veeduber Home Built 5 July 10th 04 05:15 AM
Lathe Help Bruce A. Frank Home Built 15 February 7th 04 09:05 AM