Cost of engine rebuilds

Old February 27th 04, 09:33 PM
Brendan Grace

Default Cost of engine rebuilds

I've been pricing engine rebuilds and the costs from 15,000 to 20,000
seem ridiculously high. There doesn't seem to be that many more parts
or labour excesses to explain the prices. Anyone have any insights into
were all the money goes? I am really quite shocked at the high costs
for such a small engine (100-125 HP) going so high when it's old
technology for the most part. Not injected just a carb.

Old February 27th 04, 09:57 PM
Ray Andraka

Liability? Consider that the rebuilder has to put his signature on the logs
attesting to the quality of the rebuild. If anything goes wrong, it's his
butt on the line.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old February 28th 04, 06:00 AM

It's a problem of economics, not technology. GM can go build 1,000,000
units of any given part, because they have that many in the field and
they know they will be able to sell them. Textron Lycoming is stuck
building many, many fewer than that. As the number of units goes down,
the cost per unit goes up to amortize the cost of tooling and production.

Airframe parts are even worse, considering how many plane models exist
that only have 1000 or 2000 examples ever built, and how few share
parts. Which is why there is no Kragen or Pep Boys for plane parts.

Old February 28th 04, 10:07 PM
Jay Honeck

I've been pricing engine rebuilds and the costs from 15,000 to 20,000
seem ridiculously high. There doesn't seem to be that many more parts
or labour excesses to explain the prices.

Given your spelling of "labour" may I assume that you are in Europe?

Rebuilding a 100 - 125 HP engine should not cost that much in the U.S.
Heck, we rebuilt our 6-cylinder O-540 for $18K less than two years ago --
and that's with all new Millenium cylinders.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 28th 04, 11:04 PM
Ray Andraka

I got my O-540 rebuilt to new tolerances this past summer by a name brand
shop for $20K, including new ECI titan cylinder stud assemblies, new cam, and
all new accessories. Add on about $4K for the R&R and firewall forward.
Based on that, the 4 cyl. O235 should be like 15-20K including install with a
complete firewall forward.