Pawnee makes terrorism news

Old November 14th 04, 03:06 PM
Stewart Kissel

Default Pawnee makes terrorism news

http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/advisory.pdf

Went missing two weeks ago, and is being used in an
article by Time in regards to a *possible* connection
to nuclear material being smuggled through Mexico.
Probably is not going to make matters any easier in
regards to the ongoing problem with getting Pawnees
approved for towing

Old November 14th 04, 04:02 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in
message ...
http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/advisory.pdf

Went missing two weeks ago, and is being used in an
article by Time in regards to a *possible* connection
to nuclear material being smuggled through Mexico.
Probably is not going to make matters any easier in
regards to the ongoing problem with getting Pawnees
approved for towing

Yeah, heard about this. Odds are probably at least 100/1 that it'll be used
for a drug run rather than terrorism. Hopefully the hopper and spray gear
will be removed from towing models for starters, though I think there are
some dual use tow planes around. 'Secret switches' probably need a 337 in
the logbook. Guess that won't be either very secret or approved. Security
lights at our location would enable possible theft. It's so dark, that
someone trying to be sneaky would walk into things. Flashlights and car
lights would attract more attention to mischief. Night departues are tricky
without lights as the antelopes might be on the runways. I suppose they'll
just have to wear night vision goggles. Electronic security false alarms
would probably result in tickets or neglect. The owner of a soaring
operation also owns a retail outlet in a major metro area. The police
responded 2-3 times one night to his alarm going off. They left a citation
for the repeated false alarms after not finding anything wrong. The next
day he found the safe had been removed through the back wall. The police
didn't even drive around back. He still had to pay the citation.

Frank Whiteley

Old November 14th 04, 04:14 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in
message ...
http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/advisory.pdf

Went missing two weeks ago, and is being used in an
article by Time in regards to a *possible* connection
to nuclear material being smuggled through Mexico.
Probably is not going to make matters any easier in
regards to the ongoing problem with getting Pawnees
approved for towing

Also note that the three thieves of this particular Pawnee assaulted a
watchman. Doesn't say whether all three flew away with the Pawnee
(interesting visual concept), or if a couple departed by car or other plane.

Frank

Old November 14th 04, 05:33 PM
Vaughn

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in message
Probably is not going to make matters any easier in
regards to the ongoing problem with getting Pawnees
approved for towing

"Pawnees are bad, make it hard on them so the world will be safer." This
is a thought that can naturally be expected to occur to most any bureaucrat, but
it can easily be turned around and used to our advantage because the glider tug
market tends to makes these airframes safe and keeps them out of general
circulation.

Most glider tug Pawnees have the aerial application equipment removed, and
are kept harmless, busy, and watched. These Pawnees are prized around the world
for use as tugs and this keeps their price higher and their availability lower
than it would otherwise be if they were not allowed to tow gliders. Do they
really want multitudes of cheap/idle/unwanted/unregistered Pawnees laying around
uncharted farm strips, easily available to Timothy McVeigh wannabes? I don't.

Vaughn

Old November 14th 04, 10:10 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , Stewart Kissel REMOVE_TO_RE
writes
http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/advisory.pdf

Went missing two weeks ago, and is being used in an
article by Time in regards to a *possible* connection
to nuclear material being smuggled through Mexico.
Probably is not going to make matters any easier in
regards to the ongoing problem with getting Pawnees
approved for towing

Do I imagine it or is the Pawnee in the picture slightly squashed? As if
some huge animal has sat on it?

--
Mike Lindsay
Old November 14th 04, 10:37 PM
John Giddy

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:10:11 +0000, Mike Lindsay wrote:

In article , Stewart Kissel REMOVE_TO_RE
writes
http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/advisory.pdf

Went missing two weeks ago, and is being used in an
article by Time in regards to a *possible* connection
to nuclear material being smuggled through Mexico.
Probably is not going to make matters any easier in
regards to the ongoing problem with getting Pawnees
approved for towing

Do I imagine it or is the Pawnee in the picture slightly squashed? As if
some huge animal has sat on it?

I suspect that some clerk decided the picture needed to be stretched
to make the page look good. Never mind the aspect ratio :-)
John G.