Game controller question

Old May 22nd 05, 07:19 PM
FatKat

Default Game controller question

I've recently replaced my P4 for a newer Dell Dimension running at
3ghz. Unfortunately, the gameport is out of the picture emtirely,
which mucks up the controller set-up I used in my last system.

Previously, using the gameport, I had a Thrustmaster WCS/FCS, and
(though they said it couldn't be done) CH gameport pedals (not the pro
pedals). I recently "won" a dual connector gameport-to-USB, but
hooking it up proved a dissappointment: after hooking one of the pedals
into one of the connectors, and putting the throttle into the other
connector (with the joystick going into the throttle), I was able to
get little more than one of the fire buttons and joystick movement.
Throttle buttons (because the WCS has a KB pass-through) were
recognized as keyboard punches, but movment of the throttle or pedals
was completely ignored. I tried adding the joystick w/throttle set-up
and rudders enabled in the WinXP gamecontroller section, but I kept
getting an error message; also, the USB gamebox comes up on winxp
control panel, but it won't be edited or removed unless in the device
manager.

Am I doing something wrong with this setup, or should I just junk it?

I figure I'd save myself trouble by just getting a new gameport, but
nobody seems to make one - just soundcards with gameports. That option
seems uneccessarily expensive, and also hints at numerous
conflicting-devices headaches. Is there a simple way to add an old
soundcard and disable the sound part while keeping the gameport?

Old May 22nd 05, 08:57 PM
Epi

In article . com,
says...
[...]

Maybe there's a way to put in a sound card, have the sound active, but
muted.
--

Epi

------------
Things I think about throughout the day:

"Play that funky music white boy"
"Play that donkey music farm boy"
"Play that monkey music Tarzan" (this one is a little different)
"Play that junkie music bong boy"
"Play that lunky music loy boy" (I don't really understand this one)
"Play that crunchy music cap'n" (this one is a little different too)

I think everyone should take a little time each day to contemplate the
weighty issues that affect our lives.
http://www.curlesneck.com