How scary is gasohol?

Old February 27th 04, 01:24 AM
Charles Talleyrand

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message . ..

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message ...
My auto-fuel-stc says very clearly that one cannot use gasoline with
any type of alcohol in it. I understand that beyond the reg itself, the
main reason is that fuel lines can swell if they come into contact with
alcohol cutting of the flow of fuel to the engine.

It could swell rubber parts like the lines and the things like the gascolator
gaskets. Alcohol will also pick up water and tends to accellerate corrosion
of aluminum.

Right. Yes. But how likely is this to actually happen in the
real world?

Old February 27th 04, 01:28 AM
Charles Talleyrand

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message . ..

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message ...
My auto-fuel-stc says very clearly that one cannot use gasoline with
any type of alcohol in it. I understand that beyond the reg itself, the
main reason is that fuel lines can swell if they come into contact with
alcohol cutting of the flow of fuel to the engine.

It could swell rubber parts like the lines and the things like the gascolator
gaskets. Alcohol will also pick up water and tends to accellerate corrosion
of aluminum.

Right. I understand the theory.

My question is actually ...

How likely is this to happen in real life? I notice in a thread with 22 articles,
there are a bunch describing how to test for alcohol, a few about
what the FAA/insurance company/mechanic would think, but no
one actually seems to know the real world effects.

One might think that every day someone, somewhere put alcohol into their
plane. Yet you never ever hear of an accident because of this.
Or am I missing something?

-Thanks ..
A guy who will still obey the rules, and doesn't want to test them.

Old February 27th 04, 01:41 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Charles Talleyrand wrote:

How likely is this to happen in real life?

Pretty likely. Happened quite a lot in automobiles when gasahol was first
introduced.

I notice in a thread with 22 articles,
there are a bunch describing how to test for alcohol, a few about
what the FAA/insurance company/mechanic would think, but no
one actually seems to know the real world effects.

In one of those threads, Dennis O'Connor posted a link to an EAA article on
mogas use. That article contains a lengthy section on the problems.

One might think that every day someone, somewhere put alcohol into their
plane. Yet you never ever hear of an accident because of this.

I have, usually fuel pump problems.

Or am I missing something?

I expect so.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old February 27th 04, 09:05 AM
Rosspilot

I tested the gasoline I buy for my plane and was pleased to see NO alcohol. I
intend to continue using it (mixed with 100LL) in varying proportions but
basically alternating 15 gallon purchases (I carry 30 gals onboard, although I
can carry 36 but it spills out my overflow on the left wing if I fill to top).
www.Rosspilot.com

Old February 28th 04, 03:05 PM
Gene

In article ,
ospam (Rosspilot) wrote:

I tested the gasoline I buy for my plane and was pleased to see NO alcohol. I
intend to continue using it (mixed with 100LL) in varying proportions but
basically alternating 15 gallon purchases (I carry 30 gals onboard, although I
can carry 36 but it spills out my overflow on the left wing if I fill to
top).
www.Rosspilot.com

Regarding using Mason jars for testing.....

Round here the Mason jars come with "fuel" already in em! (Kinda like
JATO or rocket fuel) I don't know if I'd add any gas to them but a
little water in the form of ice usually makes the sampling process go
smoother. Course by then it's not too safe for you to fly but you
might eat one of them Peanut Butter an Olive sandwitches. After all
that's been said and done you'll have plenty of gas stronger than 100LL
avgas. Plus, we tend to worry about the liver more than the bladders.
All in all, gasohol can be very scarey!
Gene

PS The last thing that you wanna do is talk to the guvmint bout
getting a tax rebate on the fuel in the jars though. Uncle Bubba did
that an he's still away fer awhile, as Mamma calls it.
Old February 29th 04, 11:47 PM
Bushy

"Adding alcohol to gasoline dramatically increases the ambient temperature
where ice forms. Evaporating methyl alcohol creates a temperature drop of
300 degrees F. As a result, carburetor ice occurs over a wide range of
temperatures."

Extract from:
http://www.sacskyranch.com/crbice.htm

Nobody seems to have mentioned this. Alcohol is not good in aircraft engines
where there is any chance of it causing the engine to stop!

I'm not keen on having an extra reason for having to change my pants!

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old March 1st 04, 02:05 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Bushy wrote:

"Adding alcohol to gasoline dramatically increases the ambient temperature
where ice forms. Evaporating methyl alcohol creates a temperature drop of
300 degrees F. As a result, carburetor ice occurs over a wide range of
temperatures."

Extract from:
http://www.sacskyranch.com/crbice.htm

Nobody seems to have mentioned this. Alcohol is not good in aircraft engines
where there is any chance of it causing the engine to stop!

The problem with that quote is that ethyl alcohol is what's blended with gas,
not methyl alcohol.

Old March 1st 04, 11:39 AM
Bushy

The problem with that quote is that ethyl alcohol is what's blended with
gas,
not methyl alcohol.

So, what sort of temperature drop does Ethyl alcohol cause, and how does it
affect carby icing?

I tend to think that it still may affect icing.

Peter