Stupid question about autogas

Old February 26th 04, 05:17 PM
TripFarmer

I hope you can. I tried in Alabama and it was a "no go". It only applied to
construction equipment, etc., not airplanes.

Trip

In article ,
says...

In Texas, I filed and got refunds for the mogas I bought and used in the
airplane, since the mogas was not used on Texas roads. A nice little
bonus to the other advantages of using unleaded regular mogas in an
airplane engine not designed to "scavenge" the 4X lead content in 100LL
versus the 80 octane they were intended to burn.

I found this for the State of Wisconsin:
http://www.dor.state.wi.us/pubs/03mf-107.pdf

If I'm reading the article correctly, I can get a refund of .285 per gallon?
Cha-ching!
--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old February 26th 04, 06:27 PM
Drew Dalgleish

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:49:41 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

CriticalMass wrote:

I know airports do exist that sell mogas, but I've been to a lot of
airports in my area of the country, and I have yet to see one that sells it.

The nearest one to me that I know of is a few hundred miles away.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.

My local airport sells mogas but the price is .90 a litre compared to
..70-.75 at the gas station. I carry two 25 litre cans to the airport
and top up with the expensive stuff if I need more than that which is
rarely. In the summer when the planes on amphib floats I use the pump
gas cuz the wing is just too high to lift gas cans up to.

Drew Dalgleish
Centralia Ont.
Old February 26th 04, 08:34 PM

TripFarmer wrote:
: I hope you can. I tried in Alabama and it was a "no go". It only applied to
: construction equipment, etc., not airplanes.

In VA here, it's $0.175/gal if burned in a boat. For an airplane, I'm
assuming they take a nickel out for "airport tax," but you can still get $0.125/gal
back. I got my instrument ticket almost entirely on autofuel (relatively local
training is the *perfect* application of autogas STC). Last fall got a check back for
almost $200. Sheesh... didn't know I'd burned that much gas. Saved about $1500 in
less than a year over buying base-rate 100LL locally.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old February 27th 04, 01:17 AM
Charles Talleyrand

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote in message
hlink.net...
If I buy a 152 getting the autogas STC appeals to me a lot for the
obvious reason (economy).

What I'm wondering about is exactly how the pilots that are running
autogas are getting it to the airport. I can't imagine the typical
answer is much different than "carting it there in cans" but even a 152
is going to require 5 5-gallon cans for a single fillup! That's a lot
of cans. Is there a better way?

I own a Cessna 150. I believe I can describe the procedure.

1) Buy 4 tanks of 2.5 gallons each. You want small tanks because you'll
have to lift them to the top of the high wing will standing on a ladder.

2) Buy a very large trash bag. You will store the bag in your trunk.
Store the gas cans in the bag. If you just have gas cans sitting in
your trunk, you will smell them.You will spill into the trunk, which is
just bad.

3) Buy a funnel. It makes everything easier.

4) On the way to the airport, try and remember how much fuel is
missing from the tanks. Fill up that number of cans.

5) At the airport, transfer fuel from the cans into the airplane.
Fill the right wing first (on my plane, that's always the tank
with less gas).

6) Dip the tanks. You should have plenty of fuel.

7) If you've bought too much fuel, put it in the car. But this should
not happen.

I do have some final words of advice. You don't need to
fill the tanks totally. If you're cruising around town for an hour,
and don't burn more than 6.5 gallons per hour, then 20 gallons
is enough. This means if you last flight was from full tanks and
only lasted 0.5 hours, you can probably go cruising again without
doing anything more than verifying fuel quantity.

The goal is to keep the tanks mostly full. You don't want to
start with empty tanks and fill by hand. It's too much of a pain.

You only own 4 tanks of 2.5 gallons each. If you ever burn more than
10 gallons (like on a long cruise), and need full tanks on the very next flight
(like another long cruise) then pay for avgas at the pump. This is a
very rare occurrence.

Finally, please realize that a 2.5 gallon tank only holds about 2.2
gallons. That's just how it is.

Old March 1st 04, 02:05 AM
CriticalMass

Newps wrote:

At every airport I've been to with mogas the price has been too high,
at least 25 cents over what you pay at the pump at the local gas station.

And so it is, in the aviation business.

It's wrongly assumed that we have more money than we need, and can
therefore afford to squander it. Those who are willing to pay those
inflated mogas prices on airports that sell it give credibility to this
misconception.

Stupid Question About Newsgroups RST Engineering General Aviation 1 January 17th 05 05:59 PM
stupid question JaKoB General Aviation 2 November 9th 04 09:48 AM
Engine swap..... maybe a stupid question JD Butler Owning 5 February 23rd 04 10:29 PM
Stupid question about flight testing and "the envelope" Scott Ferrin Military Aviation 12 January 7th 04 03:56 AM
Stupid super cub question Robert Loer Home Built 9 November 22nd 03 05:28 PM