East Coast winter ridge soaring?

Old October 28th 13, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Default East Coast winter ridge soaring?

Who knows which ridge soaring mountains will have nearby towing this winter? My buddy and I are thinking about a possible trip the week after Christmas. So far the only place I am aware of is Yard Creek Soaring in NJ. Anything in Virgina?
Old October 28th 13, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

On Sunday, October 27, 2013 9:23:23 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:

Who knows which ridge soaring mountains will have nearby towing this winter? My buddy and I are thinking about a possible trip the week after Christmas. So far the only place I am aware of is Yard Creek Soaring in NJ. Anything in Virgina?

How far does your East Coast go?

Two or three years back I spent a weekend or two at Cumberland, MD. We were visiting with the whole club, hosted by the local club. It's a small operation and you'll have to coordinate, but you could get tows and the soaring is quite nice (wave, ridge lift). We had a great time. ( http://www.cumberlandsoaring.org/ )

There is the W99 wave camp at Petersburg, WV (not sure when).

Also, I think I saw a presentation by Baude Litt a while ago about his winter flying from M-ASA, so there must be tows. Dress warmly.
Old October 28th 13, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

On Sunday, October 27, 2013 9:23:23 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
Who knows which ridge soaring mountains will have nearby towing this winter? My buddy and I are thinking about a possible trip the week after Christmas. So far the only place I am aware of is Yard Creek Soaring in NJ. Anything in Virgina?

In Virginia you have Blue Ridge Soaring Society (http://brss.net/)which is located on the main ridge system and Skyline soaring(http://skylinesoaring.org/) which has it's own smaller local ridge and the ability to thermal up to the rest of the ridges. I can answer any questions for BRSS directly or put you in contact with someone from front royal if you have any questions for them.

JP Stewart
Old October 28th 13, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Depends on whether you'll have your own sailplane or if you are expecting to rent? Rental possibilities are very few.

Old October 28th 13, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Depends on whether you'll have your own sailplane or if you are expecting to rent? Rental possibilities are very few.

We have gliders. Thanks for the info.
David, what is M-ASA?

Old October 29th 13, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Doesn't a place called "Ridge Soaring" in Julian, PA have tows? How do the "Irregulars" get into the air? With a name like that, is their best lift from a ridge? Is it nearby? Has anyone ever flown a fast or long distance out of there?
And there's Blairstown, NJ... Home of the Pudnockers. But then you never see names like Schwartz or Templin (stand by for reactions from others like Mann) posting long flights on OLC.
Jim
Old October 29th 13, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 28, 2013 11:14:20 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
Doesn't a place called "Ridge Soaring" in Julian, PA have tows? How do the "Irregulars" get into the air? With a name like that, is their best lift from a ridge? Is it nearby? Has anyone ever flown a fast or long distance out of there?

Ridge Soaring usually stops ops when the weather turns bad (late Nov-mid Dec?)and re-opens in March. But when the weather is right, extremely long flights are possible. This is the premier soaring location in the east. Its world famous for a reason.
Old October 29th 13, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Thanks, didn't realise that there was an off season.
Once drove from California to Julian in November: 3 days in the same cold front.
The flight the next day had some interesting sections due to the down side of the wave hitting the ridge. Keeps your attention!
Then went to Blairstown and if declared would have beat the STD 300k O/R state speed record then held by "The Scoundrel".
Not bad for a commute to work.

Would Benton, TN be less snowy in Winter?
Perhaps there's a gliderport near the other half of the same ridge system in N Africa.
Jim

Old October 29th 13, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Don't forget about Mifflin. You can start on the Mifflin Soaring Association website: http://msasite.ridgesewing.com/index.htm

We operate pretty regularly in the winter from Blairstown, though it's always best to call Yards Creek Soaring in advance. Some of the best ridge happens during the winter as long as there's not too much snow on the ground. The key is the appropriate clothing, especially shoes and boot warmers.

P3