Adding tail draggers to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 (Citabria, Aeronca)

Old September 14th 04, 07:11 AM
Robert A. Bonda

Default Adding tail draggers to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 (Citabria, Aeronca)

How can I add the Citabria 7ECA and Aeronca Champ taildraggers to the
MS FS2002 program?

A few years ago, I bought microsoft flight simulator 2002 for the
express purpose of learning more about these two tail draggers but my
MSFS2002 only contained the Cessna 172SP Skyhawk, the Cessna C182RG &
C182S Skylane, the Cessna C208 Caravan Amphibian, the Extra 300S, etc.

I like sitting up front, instructor behind, with nobody to my left or
right to obscure my view. And I like the fact that once you learn to
fly the Citabria or Aeronca tail draggers, the rest of the fleet come
easier. It's somewhat akin to learning to ride first the Harley Road
Glide Screamin' Eagle as your initial bike ... if you learn that ...
your Honda 250 will be a piece of cake.

The problem is my Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 is gathering dust
(because it has no tail draggers) but a friend recently suggested
there is a way to add specific airplanes.

I'm not very MSFS 2002 literate so I ask you, the experts, how I would
go about adding the Citabria 7ECA and Aeronca Champ taildragger
airplane to MS FS 2002.

---------------------Bob Bonda------------------
Old September 14th 04, 07:54 AM
Carl Frisk

Try a google search. Or check out one of the many websites devoted to FS downloads. www.avsim.com comes to mind.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Old September 14th 04, 07:54 AM
manson

Robert A. Bonda wrote:
How can I add the Citabria 7ECA and Aeronca Champ taildraggers to the
MS FS2002 program?

Since I have never heard of either of those aircraft, I dunno.

A few years ago, I bought microsoft flight simulator 2002 for the
express purpose of learning more about these two tail draggers but my
MSFS2002 only contained the Cessna 172SP Skyhawk, the Cessna C182RG &
C182S Skylane, the Cessna C208 Caravan Amphibian, the Extra 300S, etc.

Yup! But that does not mean that FS2002 does not handle taildraggers.
It does.

I like sitting up front, instructor behind, with nobody to my left or
right to obscure my view. And I like the fact that once you learn to
fly the Citabria or Aeronca tail draggers, the rest of the fleet come
easier. It's somewhat akin to learning to ride first the Harley Road
Glide Screamin' Eagle as your initial bike ... if you learn that ...
your Honda 250 will be a piece of cake.

Right up to the first corner....then....good luck!

The problem is my Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 is gathering dust
(because it has no tail draggers) but a friend recently suggested
there is a way to add specific airplanes.

It is possible to "roll your own" aircraft, but way beyond my technical
knowledge to explain how to do it.

The hint that I think you might be looking for, would be to go to some
of the FS sites, like Avsim, and search their libraries. There are
many add-on aircraft available for download. Quite a few of which are,
in fact, tail draggers.

I'm not very MSFS 2002 literate so I ask you, the experts, how I would
go about adding the Citabria 7ECA and Aeronca Champ taildragger
airplane to MS FS 2002.

Try http://www.avsim.com/ go to file library, search the FS2002,
Original Aircraft....and don't bother looking for the Citabria, but you
should find the Aeronca.

regards,
CrazyCam

Old September 14th 04, 01:13 PM
Bryan

There are many websites that have thousands of planes for free download.The
main ones would have to be
www.flightsim.com (Look for the filename 7accha1.zip which is an Aeronca
champ)
www.simviation.com and www.avsim.com .
I have found that mostly the same planes can be found on the three sites
They all have search facilities so just try to find your planes.The better
quality planes should have installation instructions.If you find several
versions of the same plane.go for the one with the biggest file size.It
usually means a more detailed plane

Beware though,once you see the range of planes available,you can't just stop
at two and will end up with hundreds

Old September 14th 04, 06:25 PM
ShawnD2112

Better yet, find a club or local owner of one of them and buy yourself a
ride! You can loop a Citabria in FS, but it you look straight up while
doing it, you're still just looking at your own ceiling tiles...

Shawn

Old September 15th 04, 07:49 AM
Robert A. Bonda

Thanks to your helpful advice, I wrote this step by step how to which
others can follow which shows what I attempted in order to install a
Citabria or Aeronca taildragging airplane into Microsoft Flight
Simulator 2002 (sans the cub sound):

ONE DOZEN STEPS TO INSTALL A CITABRIA or AERONCA TAILDRAGGER INTO
MSFS2002:
1. Note the three main flight simulator add-on download sites:
http://www.avsim.com
http://www.flightsim.com
http://www.simviation.com
And, pick one, e.g., simviation & read their instructions, e.g.:
http://www.simviation.com/acinstall.htm
2. Open up the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 folder on your
computer:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\aircraft
Note the installed aircraft & the four sub-folders for each
aircraft:
model, panel, sound, Texture
3. Create a new directory for flight-simulator downloads, e.g.:
mkdir C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Games\Fs2002\downloads\citabria_7eca
mkdir C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Games\Fs2002\downloads\aeronca_champ
4. Search for the desired airplane on the chosen web site:
http://www.simviation.com/search.html
I searched for "Citabria" and failed to find this
taildragger.
I then searched for "Aeronca Champion" & found the link
below.
5. Go to that Aeronca link & choose the largest of the available
downloads:
http://www.simviation.com/fs2002props31.htm
FS2002 1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion
This FSDSv2 project includes moving parts including rolling
wheels, transparent textures (not reflective) and a pilot
figure.
A panel based on a photo is included. By Paul Clawson
(464K).
ftp://63.217.28.218/1props/Champv2.zip
6. Save the 464K zip file into your MS Flight Simulator download
directory:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\downloads\aeronca_champ
7. Extract the contents of that that zip file into the new download
directory:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\downloads\aeronca_champ\
Aeronca Champion\{model,panel,sound,texture,Aircraft.cfg,A eronca
7AC.air}
gauges\*.gau
champ.jpg
Readme.txt
8. As always, read the fine instructions:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Games\Fs2002\downloads\aeronca_champ\Readme.txt
9. Copy the entire "Aeronca Champion" folder into the FS2002
"aircraft" folder:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\aircraft\Aeronca Champion\
10. Copy the 9 "gauges" files (not the folder!) into the FS2002
"GAUGES" folder:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Games\Fs2002\downloads\aeronca_champ\gauges\*.*
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\GAUGES\*.*
11. The readme recommends "Aaron Swindle's cub sound cub2x2sn.zip",
but,
I coud not find that file despite Google searches and specific
searches at:
http://www.fsd-international.com (search for "cub2x2sn.zip")
http://www.fscorner.com/sounds.htm (search for "cub2x2sn.zip")
http://www.surclaro.com (search for "cub2x2sn.zip")
http://www.fsfreeware.com/dcd/FS2004...index-269.html
http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/shigeru/civil.htm
etc.

So, I left this Aeronca Champion taildragger using the default
links
to the Cessna 182 sound file.
12. Start up Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 & fly the Aeronca 7AC
taildragger!

---------------------Bob Bonda------------------
Old September 15th 04, 03:48 PM
Bill Leaming

Robert A. Bonda wrote:
Thanks to your helpful advice, I wrote this step by step how to which
others can follow which shows what I attempted in order to install a
Citabria or Aeronca taildragging airplane into Microsoft Flight
Simulator 2002 (sans the cub sound):

I coud not find that file despite Google searches and specific
searches at:

Bob, you probably won't find that sound set separately any longer.
However, search google.com using the key words:

"Aaron Swindle" & "cub sound"

(exactly as above, quotes and all!) will return 16 places where you can
download an aircraft package that HAS THE SOUNDS INCLUDED...

Throw away the aircraft after extracting the sounds if you wish...

Bill

Old September 16th 04, 05:47 AM
Robert A. Bonda

Thanks to Bill Leaming for the pointer to Aaron Swindle's cub sound;
and thanks to everyone else for the links to Aeronca addins, here
is our updated 12 steps to adding an Aeronca Champion to FS2002.
---------------------Bob Bonda------------------

DOZEN STEPS TO ADD A CITABRIA or AERONCA AIRPLANE INTO MSFS2002:

1. Note the three main flight simulator add-on download sites:
http://www.avsim.com
http://www.flightsim.com
http://www.simviation.com

Pick one, e.g., simviation; then read their instructions, e.g.:
http://www.simviation.com/acinstall.htm

2. View the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 aircraft folder:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\aircraft
Note installed aircraft & four sub-folders for each aircraft:
model, panel, sound, Texture

3. Create a new directory for flight-simulator downloads, e.g.:
C:\downloads\fs2002\citabria_7eca\
C:\downloads\fs2002\aeronca_champion\

4. Search for both desired airplanes on the chosen web site:
http://www.simviation.com/search.html

Note: I failed to find "Citabria" planes in any of these searches.
So I searched for "Aeronca Champion" instead.

The following Aeronca FS2002 link was chosen:
http://www.simviation.com/fs2002props31.htm

Which contained this summary:
"FS2002 1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion
This FSDSv2 project includes moving parts including
rolling wheels, transparent textures (not reflective)
and a pilot figure. A panel based on a photo is included.
By Paul Clawson (464K).

Download this file:
ftp://63.217.28.218/1props/Champv2.zip

Into the newly created download directory:
C:\downloads\fs2002\aeronca_champion\Champv2.zip

5. Extract that compressed zip archive to a temporary location:
FROM:
C:\downloads\fs2002\aeronca_champion\Champv2.zip
TO:
C:\Temp\unzip\fs2002\aeronca_champion\*.*

6. As always, read the fine instructions:
C:\Temp\unzip\fs2002\aeronca_champion\Readme.txt

7. Copy this Aeronica folder into the FS2002 "aircraft" folder:
FROM:
C:\Temp\unzip\fs2002\aeronca_champion\Aeronca Champion
TO:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\
aircraft\Aeronca Champion\

8. Copy the Aeronca "gauges" files (not the folder!):
FROM:
C:\Temp\unzip\fs2002\aeronca_champion\gauges\*.*
TO:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\GAUGES\*.*

9. Search Google for "Aaron Swindle's cub sound cub2x2sn.zip":
http://www.google.com

Search for (verbatim, with the quotes):
"Aaron Swindle" & "cub sound"

This located a dozen hits (each a complete package), e.g.:
http://www.simviation.com/fs2002props48.htm

Add a StittsPlayboy directory to your download location:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\
downloads\StittsPlayboy\

10. Download the FS2002 Stits Playboy SA3A zip file into
that newly created downloads directory:
ftp://63.217.28.218/1props/StittsPlayboy.zip

Extract the 76 files in the zip into a temporary location.
C:\Temp\unzip\Stitts Playboy\

11. Add the Aaron Swindle cub sounds to your Aeronca sound directory:

Save the existing 28 byte "Sound.cfg" Cessna 182 alias (just in case):
FROM:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\
aircraft\Aeronca Champion\sound\Sound.cfg
TO:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\
aircraft\Aeronca Champion\sound\Copy of Sound.cfg

Copy the Aaron Swindle cub sounds to the Aeronca sound directory:
FROM:
C:\Temp\unzip\Stitts Playboy\sound\*.*
TO:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\
aircraft\Aeronca Champion\sound\*.*

12. Fly your new Aeronca 7AC tailwheel airplane on MS FS2002!