Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-)

Old November 2nd 04, 06:08 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Andre Volant wrote:

Village BEYNES is located about 30km W-SW of Paris, about 10km NW from
Versaille. Gliderport BEYNES is less then 1km E of that village.

BEYNES-Thiverval
Tel Aéro : 01 34 89 10 05
http://www.cab.asso.fr

They have comercial operation and clubs.

No commercial operation here now.

... I had a check ride there by French instructor who did not
speak English and I did not speak French.

Things changed since that time: I had during this summer a Saudian student
who didn't speak French and was very happy whith my English. Years of
newsgroup reading and somtimes posting helped me to become familiar with
our technical vocabulary. However I don't know if a native english speaker
would appreciate my English in the same way.

Hey guys help out with a basic French that is needed for this
adventure!
Basic French phrazes that an american may need meeting atractive
french lady, like...
"are you alone?"=
"are you lonely?"=
"Let's have some fun!"=
"may I see you after work?"=

Anyway it doesn't work :-(

just in case ;-), just use your immagination and help out...
also words and phrazes handy at the gliderport.
"Let's have some fun!"=

Don't need to say it, it is obvious

"How much is 1000 meters tow?"=

Combien coute un remorqué à mille mètres ?

"pull release" =

Largue
Tire la poignée jaune.

"watch your speed"=

Attention à ta vitesse

"I got it!" =

Je l'ai
C'est moi qui l'ai
Je prends les commandes
A moi les commandes

"You got it!"= Hey, it helps to know who is flying!

Tu l'as
C'est toi qui l'as
Tu as les commandes
A toi les commandes

"we are too far from the airport!"=

Nous somme trop loin du terrain !

"let me have it"=

Laisse le moi

"we are too high"=

Nous sommes trop haut

"gear down"=

sors le train
train sorti
(depending on the meaning: 1st item means "put the gear down", 2nd "the gear is down")

"gear up"=

rentre le train
train rentré
Old November 3rd 04, 07:28 PM
Andre Volant

Robert,

My logbook entry shows that I flew at Baines in July 1975 on glider
"Wa 30 Bijave", reg. F-CDIJ, "test pilotage satisfaisant" by
instructor DAMBRINE.

Thank you for your translations, but how to say it it's another story.
At least it's a start and it's fun to learn to pronounce it.

Could you please translate:

"excuse me, where is a gliderport?"

"you are so beautifull"

"would you like a glass of wine?"

"more wine?"

It may help any stranded pilot
It may even help tonight!
French is such a beautifull language.

This is your key to survival in Poland

"pani jest taka piekna" or "taka piekna, jakie mile spotkanie"
"moze kieliszek winka?"
"wiecej winka?"

What about Spanish, German, Russian, Italian, Swedish...etc.
Hey, pilot should know this in many other languages, so please
translate.
You never know...

Andre

Old November 3rd 04, 07:54 PM
Vorsanger1

And for what it is worth and to the extent it might help you reach your
goals (whatever they might be, aloft or on the ground) here are your
translations:

1) Excusez moi, ou est un terrain velivole ?
2) Vous etes si belle
3) Aimeriez vous un verre de vin ?
4) Plus de vin ?

CAUTION: Statement 2) applies to a woman only. If you should try it on a man,
the reaction might be unpredicatable.

Your last name is eponymous: it means "Flying" in French. Have fun there.

Cheers, Charles
Old November 4th 04, 01:29 AM
Jack

WRT Translations:

Andre Volant wrote:

"you are so beautifull"

It is rumored this phrase does not apply in Poland.
Surely this cannot be true?

It is easier in the US. Since the prevailing winds
are out of the southwest in so much of the country,
it is only necessary to add an "eh?" to the end of
each sentence in English, when one has inadvertantly
crossed a border.

In case of an inadvertant crossing into Quebec however,
it is best to simply gather up your equipment and begin
walking toward the south, since one is quite likely to
be ignored, no matter what.

Jack
Old November 9th 04, 05:16 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Vorsanger1 wrote:

And for what it is worth and to the extent it might help you reach your
goals (whatever they might be, aloft or on the ground) here are your
translations:

1) Excusez moi, ou est un terrain velivole ?

For just the line above, although it is a correct french sentence,
no native french speaker would say that, but rather:

Excusez moi, ou y a-t-il un terrain vélivole ?

and, as I know that most french people don't know what the word
"vélivole" means, I would rather say:

Excusez moi, ou y a-t-il un aérodrome avec des planeurs ?

Old November 9th 04, 05:28 PM
Robert Ehrlich

One thing may bring the English speaker in trouble in France:
Anybody you speak to in English is "you", while in French you
have to choose between "tu" and "vous", the later being the polite
form. However in the world of soaring the problem is simplified
as it is commonly admitted that one says "tu" to everybody. Young
newbies are often not aware of this and say "vous" to me, according
to my high age and grey hair, and then, inverting the usual rule
according to which you usually ask permission for saying "tu" in case,
of doubt, my favorite joke is to say them that in order to say "vous"
to me here, they have to ask permission.
All the translations I proposed were made according to this rule.
Old November 9th 04, 06:25 PM
Stefan

Robert Ehrlich wrote:

Excusez moi, ou y a-t-il un aérodrome avec des planeurs ?

And in 99% of all cases, you'll get the answer "tout droit, tout droit!"
no matter whether the person actually knows what you are speaking about.

Stefan

Old November 13th 04, 06:39 PM

Thanks to all on ras!

As it turned out, the weather was typical for this time of year...
ground fog, no lift, low clouds... so I did the American thing...
I declared victory, and toured Versailles instead!

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/