Preflieght for first flight after annual

Old June 15th 05, 09:56 PM
Michael 182

Default Preflieght for first flight after annual

I've done a number of these over the years, but prior to tomorrow's, I'm
thinking about how the preflight routine changes. I'll check all the screws
on all the inspection panels, pull off the engine cowlings and poke about,
looking for anything obviously loose. Check that the seats are on the rails
correctly. Check the items that were worked on, at least the one's I can
see. Anyone else have any special list of things they check at this point?

Thanks,

Michael

Old June 15th 05, 10:18 PM
Skylune

When I was training at FRG, the CFI told me that just checking for bird
droppings on the prop was not sufficient. You gotta stick your hand into
the cowling to make sure there isn't a nest in there.

Old June 15th 05, 10:54 PM

Michael,

You've got it. May I also suggest that the first flight be day, VFR
with no pax.

I've had some very interesting problems coming out of inspections
including total electrical failure shortly after takeoff and a gear
that wouldn't retract (twice).

All the best,
Rick

Old June 15th 05, 11:40 PM

Michael 182 wrote:
I've done a number of these over the years, but prior to tomorrow's, I'm
thinking about how the preflight routine changes. I'll check all the screws
on all the inspection panels, pull off the engine cowlings and poke about,
looking for anything obviously loose. Check that the seats are on the rails
correctly. Check the items that were worked on, at least the one's I can
see. Anyone else have any special list of things they check at this point?

Michael, I would suggest that you do a careful check on control throws
and directions.....ie the control input you feed in does what and how
much you expect on each of the control surfaces. There have been a
number of accidents and incidents caused by accidental control cable
reversals during maintenance. Other than that, treat the a/c like it's
a new one that you have never seen.

Craig C.

Old June 15th 05, 11:42 PM
Peter Duniho

"Michael 182" wrote in message
I've done a number of these over the years, but prior to tomorrow's, I'm
thinking about how the preflight routine changes. I'll check all the
screws on all the inspection panels, pull off the engine cowlings and poke
about, looking for anything obviously loose. Check that the seats are on
the rails correctly. Check the items that were worked on, at least the
one's I can see. Anyone else have any special list of things they check at
this point?

That's a good question. But IMHO there's not much that belongs on a
post-annual preflight inspection that doesn't belong on pretty much any
preflight inspection. Granted, my preflight inspections take longer than
those of many other pilots. But things break, even if a mechanic hasn't
been working on them recently.

All of the things you mentioned are things I check on all preflight
inspections. I have found a variety of issues after an annual inspection,
but they were all things found as part of what I consider a normal preflight
inspection.

In your case, it does sound like you are talking about an airplane that
doesn't provide good access to the engine compartment during a normal
preflight, so there's justification for going the extra mile, certainly. I
have the luxury of an engine cowl that provides open access to nearly every
part of the engine, and flashlight access to the few remaining spots.

As Rick says, it's a good idea to make the first flight sans passengers; I
figure daytime VFR ought to go without saying. I believe that technically,
FAR 91.407(b) doesn't apply to inspections. I don't log the "test flight"
after an inspection in the airplane logbooks, but I do still refrain from
carrying passengers until after that flight.

Pete

Old June 16th 05, 12:55 AM
Tony Roberts

I also check for tools/rags/screws etc left behind, in any place that they
could be left.

Tony
C-GICE

Old June 16th 05, 01:40 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Tony Roberts wrote:

I also check for tools/rags/screws etc left behind, in any place that they
could be left.

And all fluid(s) levels (oil/brake)... Putting new disc rotors/pads on
our brakes tomorrow, wear levels prevented reuse according the the
annual we just went through on the 172F...

Course doing an owner assisted annual helps you to keep track of tools,
screws and rags... G
Old June 16th 05, 03:10 AM
George Patterson

Michael 182 wrote:

Anyone else have any special list of things they check at this point?

Triple-check the "controls free and correct" part. I hear it's very hard to stay
in the air after someone reverses the aileron cables.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 16th 05, 03:41 AM
Ray Bengen

I'm sure all the ideas that'll be described will make sense, but the most
important suggestion has to be to stay within gliding distance of the
runways after takeoff and hang around for a couple circuits until all is
well.

I speak from experience having lost an engine after an annual...

Ray

Old June 16th 05, 12:11 PM
Denny

In a perfect world the mechanic would have to crawl into the right seat
and go along for the first flight...

denny