PSRU design advantages

Old April 5th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default PSRU design advantages

ADK wrote:

IF you had to design a PSRU, to drive a pusher propellor via shaft, what
would your experience dictate? Thinking along the lines of a gearbelt, chain
or gear. Please, I would appreciate the collective experience available on
this group. I have decided on the aircraft, but want to make it the most
reliable and safest it can be.

"ADK" wrote in message

This is probably going to open old wounds. What I would like is
experienced input on the advantages, for economic, efficiency and
longevity etc. of different types of redrives.

I am leaning towards a cog-belt reducer in a 6 cylinder, liquid cooled,
configuration driving a long drive shaft to the prop.

The collective experience is zilch = nada = squat = undefined.

THAT is what everybody had been trying to tell you.

Wait a second. Look around the airport.

How many shaft driven propellers do you see?

Have you ever seen?

If you are heart set on doing it, I sincerely wish you luck.

But I can't offer any further advice - 'cuz they ain't none...

Richard

Old April 5th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"ADK" wrote in message

This is probably going to open old wounds. What I would like is
experienced input on the advantages, for economic, efficiency and
longevity etc. of different types of redrives.

I am leaning towards a cog-belt reducer in a 6 cylinder, liquid
cooled, configuration driving a long drive shaft to the prop.

The collective experience is zilch = nada = squat = undefined.

THAT is what everybody had been trying to tell you.

Wait a second. Look around the airport.

How many shaft driven propellers do you see?

Have you ever seen?

If you are heart set on doing it, I sincerely wish you luck.

But I can't offer any further advice - 'cuz they ain't none...

Richard

Richard,

Didn't the military do this once?? Seems there was the P-39 Aircobra,
shaft driven from a rear mounted engine?? Are the gray cells working
that far back??

Not that it would be applicable to an experimental, but at least It was
once done?

George
Old April 5th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

The basics:

Piston engines produce more power per pound if they rev higher. (HP = RPM x
torque/5252)
Propellers are MUCH more efficient if they turn slow.
This begs for a PSRU.
BUT, a PSRU adds weight, cost and complexity.
Resonances, particularly torsional resonances are a real problem.
Lots of examples of PSRU's on 12, 14 and 18 cyinder engines
Few workable examples with fewer cylinders suggesting PSRU's don't like
power pulses.
If a shaft has a strong resonant fundamental, don't excite it or lower the
fundamental below the input frequency.
Tuning a PSRU/shaft/propeller system is like tuning a piano - it's an art
not a science.

Old April 5th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

My friends who flew the P-39, always said they worried about the drive
shaft running between their legs, breaking loose )

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````

Old April 5th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"ADK" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like a legitimate concern to me
Old April 5th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

JP wrote:
"George" kirjoitti
gy.com...

"ADK" wrote in message

[...]

The P-39/P-63 examples can't probably be compared directly with this matter
in question. These designs both have a large reduction gear casing in front
of the plane. The support structure for this PSRU looks very firm. Perhaps
the safety cage type center fuselage structure has something to do with the
lack of severe resonance problems? Any known resonance problems with these
aircrafts?

JP

I find myself wondering if, even though the P-39/63 can't be directly
applicable to experimental class aircraft, isn't there a lesson to be
learned here.

The primary shart turns at engine speed, the PSRU is located remotely
and the propeller is not transmitting torsional resonant frequency
pulses to the shaft. At least not directly. Would a pulse absorbing
coupling, such as Molt used, totally eliminate the resonant frequencies
in the shaft??

Since the OP was thinking of a remote mounted engine and a long shaft,
is this worth considering, since he seems bent on exploring this
possibility??

Just my mental ruminatings. YMMV
Old April 5th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
The basics:

Piston engines produce more power per pound if they rev higher. (HP = RPM

torque/5252)
Propellers are MUCH more efficient if they turn slow.
This begs for a PSRU.
BUT, a PSRU adds weight, cost and complexity.
Resonances, particularly torsional resonances are a real problem.
Lots of examples of PSRU's on 12, 14 and 18 cyinder engines
Few workable examples with fewer cylinders suggesting PSRU's don't like
power pulses.
If a shaft has a strong resonant fundamental, don't excite it or lower the
fundamental below the input frequency.
Tuning a PSRU/shaft/propeller system is like tuning a piano - it's an art
not a science.

The 9 cylinder 1820 and 1840 CID radials used on B-17's were geared
approximately 16:9. However, your point is well taken, and I also am unable
to name any 4 or 6 cylinder engines that have stood the test of time with
reduction drives.

I also believe that tuning any drive system, including a PSRU, is a
science--when fully understood. And therein lies the rub: There's plenty
left to learn--especially if it must also be light. So, in practice, you
are right--it is still an art. :-(

Peter

Old April 5th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"ADK" wrote in message

[...]

If it EVER did, it was a legitimate concern. Did they have quill shaft
failures???
Old April 5th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message

[...]

You're right. I forgot that there were some successful 9 cyl geared
engines. The radials used planetary gears in the nosecase. I like
planetaries since there's a lot of tooth engagement to carry the power yet
they tend to be compact and light.

I suppose...you could use a hydro drive. Turn a pump with the engine and
use a hydraulic motor to turn the prop. Some type of pressure regulator
could smooth the pressure to the prop motor. Might work for a really slow
turning prop.

Bill D

Old April 5th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Peter Dohm wrote:
snip
The 9 cylinder 1820 and 1840 CID radials used on B-17's were geared
approximately 16:9. However, your point is well taken, and I also am unable
to name any 4 or 6 cylinder engines that have stood the test of time with
reduction drives.

I also believe that tuning any drive system, including a PSRU, is a
science--when fully understood. And therein lies the rub: There's plenty
left to learn--especially if it must also be light. So, in practice, you
are right--it is still an art. :-(

I suspect that electronics help.
Instrumenting the shaft, to measure resonances in real time is no longer
prohibitively expensive.
I suspect a belt PSRU - if properly configured could act to decouple the
prop from the engine/shaft somewhat.
Add one or more rotational vibrational dampers - fill the shaft with
oil? And trim.