Why didn't GWB join the U.S. Air Force ?

Old July 14th 04, 10:03 PM
Duck Dog

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 03:34:28 GMT, R. David Steele
/OMEGA wrote:

Spell checker with a mind of its own!!

And greg dean, with no mind at all.

Old July 14th 04, 10:29 PM
D. Strang

"Ace" wrote

So who has the greater number of votes cast in their favour? Bush or
Gore?

Bush. He had the most electoral votes.

Old July 14th 04, 10:31 PM
D. Strang

"Ace" wrote

So the system is flawed?

Yes. But the flaws would be exaggerated with a popular vote. The
Electoral vote reduces the impact of the flaws. No voting system
is perfect, except in a dictatorship.

Old July 14th 04, 10:34 PM
D. Strang

"Ace" wrote
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 02:13:56 -0500, "D. Strang"

"Ace" wrote

So, by your own admission, in *The Great Democracy*, some people's
votes count, others don't?

Obviously you don't understand the US electoral process. Do a little
research and come back. Right now you are too ignorant to communicate
intelligently with.

I make no such claim. I asked a simple question. I'll rephrase for
your benefit.

In *The Great Democracy* are some people's votes worth more than
others?

No. They are equal. Everyone in the same state has the same 1 vote.
People from other states also have 1 vote, but their state may have more
electors. This is taught in most American high schools, and you will probably
learn it soon unless you drop out.

Old July 14th 04, 10:35 PM
D. Strang

"Ace" wrote
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 02:14:55 -0500, "D. Strang"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote

Is that the one riddled with various ad-hoc amendments, and provides
for children to kill each other with their daddy's guns with wanton
abandon?

Nope.

Pray enlighten me then.

Finish school, and then come back.

Old July 14th 04, 10:58 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:34:53 -0500, "D. Strang"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote

In *The Great Democracy* are some people's votes worth more than
others?

No. They are equal. Everyone in the same state has the same 1 vote.
People from other states also have 1 vote, but their state may have more
electors. This is taught in most American high schools, and you will probably
learn it soon unless you drop out.

Well, not exactly. Based on the Supreme Court decision in Reynold vs
Sims, each citizen's vote should provide equal representation. The
decennial census counts the population and reapportions representation
among the states to keep the House of Representatives at 435 members.
During the last census, the number of citizens to get a representative
came out to about 715,000. So, since the Electoral College membership
is equal to the Congressional delegation of the state (same as the
state's number of representatives and senators) a voter in a more
populous state with more electors, has about the same influence as a
voter in a state with few electors.

Of course, that's skewed by the winner-take-all mandate for EC voting,
but I think the point is that our Agincourt Ace doesn't know what he's
talking about, but he's got an axe to grind. An axe from Agincourt?
Nah, that's too literal.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old July 14th 04, 11:21 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:57:29 +0100, Ace wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:35:42 -0500, "D. Strang"
wrote:

Finish school, and then come back.

I suspect I'm rather better educated than you. I will be delighted to
be proven wrong.

You clearly operate under a delusion of grandeur. Or, possibly your
education is in some field other than political science.

Old July 14th 04, 11:24 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:58:50 +0100, Ace wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:29:00 -0500, "D. Strang"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote

So who has the greater number of votes cast in their favour? Bush or
Gore?

Bush. He had the most electoral votes.

You change the question. Who had the greater number of votes cast in
their favour?

I and several others in this forum have tried to inform you that while
the popular vote is entertaining, it isn't the method described in the
U. S. Constitution for selection of the chief executive.

In other words, it doesn't matter who got the greater number of
popular votes. That might not be the perfect system in some minds, but
in a federation it works to provide some balance in the representation
between large and small states.

Now, start paying attention, because there is going to be a test.

Old July 14th 04, 11:46 PM
Brooks Gregory

wrote:

[...]

To think that these poor *******s still hang on to this just goes to show
you how vacant they have become on ideas that will help this country. I find
it most comical.

--
If you really want to save the
environment, support a family farmer.

Brooks Gregory

Old July 15th 04, 12:30 AM
Leslie Swartz

WE DON'T KNOW- AND PROBABLY CAN'T EVER KNOW- WITH OUR CURRENT TECHNOLOGY
AND PROCESSES!

HAVEN"T YOU BEEN PAYING ANY ATTENTION AT ALL?

HELLO? HELLO?

Steve

"Ace" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:11:49 -0400, "Leslie Swartz"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:16:13 GMT, Mike Williamson
wrote:

Who won the popular vote?

I'll give you a hint. George Bush wasn't the winner.

In point of fact, no one won a majority of the popular vote, nor

did
they in the previous presidential election.

I wasn't taking about a *majority of the popular vote*. I was asking
about the *popular* vote - the greater number of votes.