Lance vs A36

Old September 19th 05, 01:31 AM
John Doe

Default Lance vs A36

Anyone have any thoughts on the pros/cons of say a 1978 Lance vs a similar
Beech A36?

Old September 19th 05, 01:33 AM
Mike Granby

Lance = slower, cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, carries more,
easier to load. A36 = the opposite of all those, but looks cooler.

Old September 19th 05, 01:36 AM
Mike Granby

Oh, and a 78 is a t-tail, right? That's a whole other issue. Some
people hate 'em, and say they're impossible to fly. Others say it's
just piloting technique, and ham-fisted pilots not trimming right on
take-off. Point is, get the take-off wrong, and you'll apparently be
amazed how much runway you'll use up, although, again, others disagree.
Either way, there's enough fuss and doubt that the t-tails are much
cheaper than the non-t-tails, which is either a bargain, or a
reflection of their handling, depending on your point of view. You
will, of course, suffer when and if you come to sell it.

Old September 19th 05, 01:36 AM
Peter R.

Mike Granby wrote:

Lance = slower, cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, carries more,
easier to load. A36 = the opposite of all those, but looks cooler.

Easier to load? The A36 has a rear entry door that allows passengers to
enter the cabin without climbing up onto a wing. These large doors also
makes loading cargo much easier. Does the Lance have this, too?

--
Peter

Old September 19th 05, 01:38 AM
Mike Granby

The Lance does have that rear door, plus a cargo door behind that, but
that wasn't what I actually meant, although it could have been. I was
referring to ease of loading within the envelope. Sorry if I wasn't
clear.

Old September 19th 05, 01:43 AM
Peter R.

Mike Granby wrote:

I was referring to ease of loading within the envelope.

Ahhh... now that's a horse of a different color.

--
Peter

Old September 19th 05, 06:04 AM

On 18-Sep-2005, "Mike Granby" wrote:

Either way, there's enough fuss and doubt that the t-tails are much
cheaper than the non-t-tails, which is either a bargain, or a
reflection of their handling, depending on your point of view. You
will, of course, suffer when and if you come to sell it.

Hey, you never know. T-tails may make a comeback, like the '38 Ford look
(i.e. the PT Cruiser).

-Elliott Drucker
(proud co-owner of a T-tail Arrow IV)
Old September 19th 05, 02:42 PM
Mike Granby

T-tails may make a comeback

I like the look of them, myself, and I'm agnostic on the handling
issues, having heard people with far more experience than I argue it
both ways.

Old September 20th 05, 01:51 AM
John Doe

"Peter R." wrote in message
Mike Granby wrote:

Lance = slower, cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, carries more,
easier to load. A36 = the opposite of all those, but looks cooler.

Easier to load? The A36 has a rear entry door that allows passengers to
enter the cabin without climbing up onto a wing. These large doors also
makes loading cargo much easier. Does the Lance have this, too?

Yes. Have you ever seen one?

Old September 20th 05, 02:34 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Peter R." said:
enter the cabin without climbing up onto a wing. These large doors also
makes loading cargo much easier. Does the Lance have this, too?

http://xcski.com/gallery/43977/977_bs_1

Our Lance (in the pictures) is probably going to be on sale next year with
a run-out engine. It's got more than 2000 hours on the engine and the
climb performance sucks. And we're worried about the future impossibility
of getting insurance for it in a club, so rather than spend $25k on a new
engine then lose it, we're exploring the other possibilities.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
please excuse my typing, but my whole left arm is in a cast. and i don't

Turbo Lance empty weight John Doe Owning 3 September 1st 05 04:56 PM
Turbo Lance II opinions John Doe Owning 25 August 30th 05 02:14 PM
Ping: Paul Tomblin... How about a Lance pilot report john smith Piloting 8 August 25th 04 03:28 PM
Piper Lance back seats Tony Owning 2 April 6th 04 03:56 PM
Piper Lance Renee Purner Owning 22 November 4th 03 07:47 PM