Best place to live and fly?

Old May 10th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Best place to live and fly?

I agree. It's impossible to get good Beef Brisket BBQ outside of Texas,
hell, the only reason people think it's good in Texas is because they've
been told that when you're in Texas brisket BBQ is the best. That doesn't
make it good.

I've had the luxury of having a freezer full of farm raised beef all of my
life. I've ate beef BBQ in many states, including Texas, and my conclusion
is that I wouldn't give you 10 cents a pound for all the beef brisket in
Texas or the rest of North America. It's just one of the poorest cuts of
meat that the poorest cooks in the world all try to claim is something
great. It's best ground into hamburger. All the wind and hot air about
what BBQ is and isn't is just that.... wind.
Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hell, NC doesn't know BBQ either... In my extensive travels across the
US, I've come to the determination that it is impossible to get *real*
BBQ outside of Texas...

Barbecued beef ribs ain't bad, but I have yet to find a better barbecue
than a pulled pork barbecue sandwich. No muss, no fuss, and, MAN,
that's eating...

(It must be, cuz it's really, REALLY unhealthy! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 10th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-05-10, Jay Honeck wrote:
When I was a small child of around 6 years old, I used to look through
the atlas. I used to look in wonder at the United States, and try to
figure out how people living in places like Iowa could bear living so
many miles from the sea.

Interesting.

snip
Yet, after 9 years in Iowa, I can honestly say that life AWAY from the
water is better. No more damp weather. No more "lake-effect"
snowstorms that buried us under several feet of snow. No more "cooler
near the lake" forecasts, which could suddenly turn pool parties and
cookouts into frigid affairs -- even in July.

The Great Lakes are a bit different though: thanks to the relatively
warm (especially for our latitude) waters, despite being further north
than the entire lower 48 states, we can grow many species of palm here
- I just planted some Washingtonia filifera (i.e. California fan palm)
in my back garden (it won't grow as tall as it does in California
though). It seldom freezes here, and if it snows, it melts within about 2
hours. The summers are mild - rarely getting higher than the mid 70s
which is an extremely pleasant temperature, I think.

Being in the north Atlantic (in particular, the Gulf Stream) is not the
same as living near the Great Lakes. Personally, I also need humidity -
my lips dry out horribly if I spend more than 4 or 5 days in the dryer
parts of the US - I *vastly* prefer the humid heat that feels like a wet
towel that you find in Houston (where I spent 6 years) to the 'but it's
a dry heat!' you get out west.

Old May 10th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The storms were closer to Denison, but the tornadoes were in Anna, TX
and Atoka, OK. Our local Channel 10 (Denison) had continuous coverage.

C. Massey wrote:

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message

We just had a couple of tornados last night close to us.

Ross
KSWI (Sherman (TX) Municipal Airport) North of Dallas. (How's this for
identifing?)

snip

Everything ok there? It was a little closer to Denison wasn't it? I noticed
that channel 5 was showing the weather for about 45 mins before I shut the
tv off to go to sleep. They never did show any video though...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-0, 05/08/2006
Tested on: 5/10/2006 9:27:50 AM

Old May 10th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message
The storms were closer to Denison, but the tornadoes were in Anna, TX and
Atoka, OK. Our local Channel 10 (Denison) had continuous coverage.

Well, glad to hear that y'all are ok...

Thinking about it, I guess that you are probably just out of channel 5's
viewing range, so that didn't do you any good. I'm in Ft. Worth.

Chuck

C. Massey wrote:

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message

We just had a couple of tornados last night close to us.

Ross
KSWI (Sherman (TX) Municipal Airport) North of Dallas. (How's this for
identifing?)

snip

Everything ok there? It was a little closer to Denison wasn't it? I
noticed that channel 5 was showing the weather for about 45 mins before I
shut the tv off to go to sleep. They never did show any video though...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-1, 05/10/2006
Tested on: 5/10/2006 12:12:44 PM

Old May 10th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Best place to live and fly? Going OT

Since this thread has been discussing BBQ and not airplanes, let me take
it a little more OT. My daughter just happened to send this to me. So
here goes.

Ross
KSWI

BARBEQUE SEASON

After four long months of cold and winter, we are finally coming up to
summer and BBQ season. Therefore it is important to refresh your memory
on the etiquette of this sublime outdoor cooking, as it's the only type
of cooking a real man will do, probably because there is some of danger
involved.

When a man volunteers to do the BBQ, the following chain of events are
put into motion:

1) The woman buys the food.
2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.
3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along
with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man
who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.

Here comes the important part:

4) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

5) The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.
6) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He
thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with
the situation.

Important again:

7) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

8) The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins,
sauces and brings them to the table.
9) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

And most important of all:

10) Everyone PRAISES the MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.

11) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed "her night off." And, seeing
her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing some women.

Old May 10th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 10 May 2006 08:08:20 -0500, Ross Richardson
wrote:
OK here, I have lived in North Texas for 30 years, yet I believe the
best BBQ to be in Kansas City, MO.

Damn, time to get the tar and feather out... Is there a railroad
nearby?
Old May 10th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 10 May 2006 06:35:35 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:
Hopefully, although "locked and loaded", you showed restraint.

That's why we like gators... For when we don't want to show
restraint...
Old May 10th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 10 May 2006 09:46:49 -0500, "Jim Burns"
wrote:
I agree. It's impossible to get good Beef Brisket BBQ outside of Texas,
hell, the only reason people think it's good in Texas is because they've
been told that when you're in Texas brisket BBQ is the best. That doesn't
make it good.

Awh, 'ell... Next thing you're going to be saying that you don't miss
Lone Star beer after having been out of Texas for awhile... BBQ is a
religion in Texas... Brisket is the choice sacrifice... Lone Star is
the wine for our communion mugs... Only Texans know how to do *real*
BBQ... If you don't believe it, just ask us...
Old May 10th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Grumman-581" wrote)
Damn, time to get the tar and feather out... Is there a railroad nearby?

From what I'm reading, you might have a handy substitute for tar available
at most any Texas BBQ. g

Me? I'll have some more of that smoked Walleye.

Montblack
MN State Fish - The Walleye