Cessna 172R from Telluride to Aspen

Old May 11th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Cessna 172R from Telluride to Aspen

Viperdoc writes:

Anthony- way to backtrack! You talk about simulation being realistic, but
you don't bother to learn about the aircraft's performance or do even
minimal flight planning or think about the weather.

Oh, I do a little, depending on the goal of the simulation.

When you don't bother to do your pre flight planning you call it an experiment?

That particular experiment had nothing to do with pre-flight planning.

The people who really fly call it stupid and lazy.

Some of the people who really fly call everyone stupid and lazy, until they
are killed in an accident.

Picking up ice in a game like
you play is a lot different when you can't hold altitude over the middle of
Lake Michigan with max anti ice in real life.

I'd never be stupid enough to get caught in that situation in real life.
Old May 11th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Buster Hymen

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Viperdoc writes:

Anthony- way to backtrack! You talk about simulation being realistic,
but you don't bother to learn about the aircraft's performance or do
even minimal flight planning or think about the weather.

Oh, I do a little, depending on the goal of the simulation.

When you don't bother to do your pre flight planning you call it an
experiment?

That particular experiment had nothing to do with pre-flight planning.

The people who really fly call it stupid and lazy.

Some of the people who really fly call everyone stupid and lazy, until
they are killed in an accident.

Picking up ice in a game like
you play is a lot different when you can't hold altitude over the
middle of Lake Michigan with max anti ice in real life.

I'd never be stupid enough to get caught in that situation in real
life.

You don't have a real life, you moron. You have totally wasted your
claimed superior education and just play games while jerking yourself off.

Old May 11th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Robert Barker writes:

Was it a 160hp Cessna or a 180hp? Not a lot of 160hp 172s in CO.

The aircraft simulated by the add-on is 160 hp (IO-360-L2A engine).

And no one tries mountain flying in a 180hp 172 without perfect
weather. To do otherwise is to subject your next of kin to
unnecessary grief.

So it's a bad idea. OK, that's what I wanted to know.

I've crossed the Rockies on 85hp in a Cessna 120.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old May 12th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

This was by any measure a poorly designed experiment. The only lesson
to be learned is planning is necessary for safe flight. Superior
planning is necessary if there are questions about the airplane's
suitability.

Old May 12th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Viperdoc writes:

Are you referring to a real airplane or simulated flight with MSFS?

I'm asking about real airplanes, subsequent to a simulated flight with the
same aircraft that ended tragically just a few minutes ago, probably due to
icing, although I'm not sure. I tried the flight as an experiment to see if
it was possible, and I'd like to know from pilots of the real aircraft whether
or not it would be possible or safe to attempt it in real life.

Weather at Aspen was low IFR so I had planned to divert to Garfield County,
but I lost control of the aircraft about 20 miles southeast at 12500 feet and
impacted terrain.

Your choice of words is childish at best. Computer games don't end
"tragically", they just end.

Your so called "experiment" is just mental masturbation.

For a real pilot to attempt a flight under the conditions you describe
with the total lack of preperation you describe, that person would have
to be extremely stupid and ignore a huge pile of regulations and have
absolutely no common sense.

You might as well have posted "I simulated shoving a hand grenade up
my butt and I got blown to hell. Is it really possible to shove a hand
grenade up my butt?"

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 12th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Benjamin Dover

wrote in :

Mxsmanic wrote:
Viperdoc writes:

[...]

It sure would be nice if Anthony did phoe a grenade up his butt and pulled
the pin. We could all enjoy reading the results in the Parisian newspapers
the next day!

Old May 12th 08, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk At Wow Way D0t C0m writes:

I've crossed the Rockies on 85hp in a Cessna 120.

Under what conditions?
Old May 12th 08, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Benjamin Dover wrote:
You might as well have posted "I simulated shoving a hand grenade up
my butt and I got blown to hell. Is it really possible to shove a hand
grenade up my butt?"

It sure would be nice if Anthony did phoe a grenade up his butt and pulled
the pin. We could all enjoy reading the results in the Parisian newspapers
the next day!

As a nurse, I can assure you it is possible to shove a grenade up Anthony's
butt.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old May 12th 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

The point tht is being made is your simulation did not test the
concept of flying the route in a 172, but did demonstrate how unwise
it is to fly without suitable planning. Planning is very much a
simulation of a flight that pilots do. You did not do that, so the
lesson an aware observer would learn is, don't attempt a flight that
is not carefully planned, rather than don't attempt this simulated
flight in a 172.

Are you an aware observer?