OT (sort of): CBS revisited

Old February 4th 04, 04:43 PM
John Harlow

Every TV I've ever seen has a power switch.

Yes, it does. I don't have to watch shows that are offensive.
However, one does not expect things like the Superbowl to offensive.
Programs that are billed as suitable for families should be just that
-- suitable for families.

So CBS has now given you at least 2 reasons to never watch them again. What
was Gomer Pyle's famous saying again?

Old February 4th 04, 04:43 PM
John Harlow

C J Campbell wrote:
"John Harlow" wrote in message
news

Perhaps if children were raised where the body weren't so taboo,
people wouldn't be so jazzed by it. Look at the tribes in Africa,
do the kids giggle and the oldsters scowl when a woman walks by in
her natural state?

Have you ever considered that maybe there is a reason that those
groups that run around naked have remained primitive tribes despite
thousands of years of progress by all their neighbors?

Maybe another way to think of it is they have successfully sustained whereas
other "progressive" neighbors come and go?

Old February 4th 04, 05:03 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Dennis,

teen pregnancy

That, one might argue, is - among other factors - connected to how kids
are introduced to sex and how open a society deals with sex. Which
nicely brings us back to the topic.

http://www.umm.edu/pediatrics/pregnancy.html

Old February 4th 04, 05:05 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Geoffrey Barnes" wrote in message
ink.net...
I don't think too many species produce slash&gore videos. Cats probably
would if they could, though...

Shooting digitial video without opposable thumbs is a real bitch, ain't

it!

Analogue video is much easier then?

And I thought we were talking about cats, not bitches...

Paul

Old February 4th 04, 05:24 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Sengupta wrote:

http://www.umm.edu/pediatrics/pregnancy.html

So they pick four countries, point out that the U.S. has a higher teen pregnancy
rate than those four, and use that to support a headline that the rate is "highest
in the U.S.". If you pick your countries carefully, you can probably prove about
anything.

A major Norwegian paper was recently complaining that studies show that Norway
has the highest teen pregnancy rate. We can't both be the highest.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.
Old February 4th 04, 06:05 PM
C J Campbell

"John Harlow" wrote in message
| Every TV I've ever seen has a power switch.
|

| Yes, it does. I don't have to watch shows that are offensive.
| However, one does not expect things like the Superbowl to offensive.
| Programs that are billed as suitable for families should be just that
| -- suitable for families.
|
| So CBS has now given you at least 2 reasons to never watch them again.
What
| was Gomer Pyle's famous saying again?

I don't remember it. I'm sure it was both appropriate and funny.

No, I don't watch CBS any more. In fact, I probably have not watched
anything on CBS in over a year. They simply have not had any programs that I
found interesting. I think "Law and Order" was the last show they did that
held any interest for me at all, and I could hardly be called a regular
viewer of that. Didn't that show originate on A&E? I did not even watch the
Superbowl (for one thing, I don't have much time for TV, or even golf, for
that matter). I can't remember when the last time was I got to enjoy the
Superbowl, but it has been several years, maybe decades.

Broadcast television mostly annoys me because of the abundance of
commercials. Granted, the commercials are usually better than the shows, but
after you have watched the Gecko park his little sports car in the "Employee
of the Month" parking space about a thousand times you begin to wish for a
little originality.

Besides, I hold GEICO in about the same low esteem as I do Farmers: a lot of
bragging about low cost and good service, neither of which are true, and
never a mention of how quick they are to deny a claim and cancel your
insurance. I mean, who wants an insurance company that will cancel you if
you have a radar detector in your car (not that I actually have a radar
detector, you understand -- everybody tells me I drive like an old woman,
but it is the principle of the thing)?

Old February 4th 04, 06:56 PM
John Harlow

So CBS has now given you at least 2 reasons to never watch them
again. What was Gomer Pyle's famous saying again?

I don't remember it. I'm sure it was both appropriate and funny.

Lol - it was something to the effect of :
"fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me!"

[...]

And let's not forget the constant barrage of "ask your doctor about..." ads
from the drug companies. Isn't the doctor's job to tell YOU what to take?
Lol!

I disconnected cable a long time ago and never looked back. Nowadays I
usually only turn the TV on for new "Simpsons" episodes, and "Red Green" on
PBS

Old February 4th 04, 07:34 PM
Paul Sengupta

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Paul Sengupta wrote:

http://www.umm.edu/pediatrics/pregnancy.html

So they pick four countries, point out that the U.S. has a higher teen

pregnancy
rate than those four, and use that to support a headline that the rate is

"highest
in the U.S.". If you pick your countries carefully, you can probably prove

about
anything.

I think it was supposed to reflect the countries with the closest
social structure, maybe picking ones with a more "relaxed" attitude
to the human body and sex. While Sweden is often quoted, the
most "open" countries in this respect are more like The Netherlands,
Germany and Denmark.

It's oft-quoted here in the UK that with their very liberal attitudes
towards sex in The Netherlands, they have a much lower teenage
pregnancy rate than in the UK, possibly the lowest in Europe. The
UK has the highest...and probably the "stuffiest" attitude towards
sex.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with liberal attitudes to sex, or saying
they're good for society, just that there appears to be a relation
to the immediate question, if not to the original one.

http://listarchives.his.com/smartmar.../msg00008.html

A major Norwegian paper was recently complaining that studies show that

Norway
has the highest teen pregnancy rate. We can't both be the highest.

As for Norway vs. the US, here are some figures from:
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-welfareblack.htm

Teen pregnancies per 1,000 teenagers:

United States 98.0
United Kingdom 46.6
Norway 40.2
Canada 38.6
Finland 32.1
Sweden 28.3
Denmark 27.9
Netherlands 12.1
Japan 10.5

These figures roughly agree with the ones he

http://www.agi-usa.org/pubs/journals/gr030303.html

There's a graph of teenage births he
http://www.optimumpopulation.org/opt.more.famplan.html

Sorry, I don't have any agenda or political point here, so if I've
quoted any politically biased sites for the figures, I apologise, I
was just googling for the figures.

Paul

Old February 4th 04, 09:17 PM
Frank

John Harlow wrote:

snip

Anyway, I suppose that now we will see it on TV more and more until it
becomes accepted.

Every TV I've ever seen has a power switch.

They also have a brightness control, but it never seems to work.....

($1 to Gallager)

snip
--
Frank....H
Old February 5th 04, 08:42 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter Duniho wrote:

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
Naw, I suspect (even without knowing whether he drives a low wing or
high) that Andrew actually has balls and would kick my ass.

I would kick your ass if you did anything worth reacting that way. But
waving your naked butt in front of anyone, even my family, just doesn't
qualify. That would have reflected poorly on you (as if the stuff you
write here doesn't already reflect poorly enough on you), but it wouldn't
hurt me or my family any.

I have to say I gave this some serious though. I think that having this
occur would leave me completely disabled for at least a minute or too.
Once I got my breath back from laughing, I'm not sure what would occur.
But I'd certainly need that moment.

I suppose I shouldn't admit this, and it's pretty childish. And, I could be
wrong. But I expect that that would be my reaction.

- Andrew

P.S. If it were halloween, though, I'd probably just smile and
say "nice costume; where do you want your treat".