Garmin GNS 430/530: interfacing Air-Data & Fuel-Management

Old July 14th 05, 08:34 AM
Kai Glaesner

Default Garmin GNS 430/530: interfacing Air-Data & Fuel-Management

Hello,

does anyone know, if the Garmin 430/530 can interface to an air-data
computer and a fuel computer (like e.g. the King KLN 90B)?

The question rose when watching the FlightVideoProduction Piper Meridian
DVD. When the pilot used one of the utility pages of his 430 to calculate
wind direction and magnitude he dialed in Alt, Speed, Heading and Temperatur
(the same way I do with the 430 in our Club's Dakota ;-). Since the Meridian
is fairly advanced I wonder why there is no interfacing to the air-data
computer I presume the Meggit installation demands.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Best regards

Kai

Old July 14th 05, 01:07 PM
Peter R.

Kai Glaesner wrote:

does anyone know, if the Garmin 430/530 can interface to an air-data
computer and a fuel computer (like e.g. the King KLN 90B)?

Yes. My JPI EDM800 engine monitor interfaces with my Garmin GNS430,
automatically providing fuel flow and fuel on board (assuming I provided
accurate FOB to the JPI, which I always do) in the Garmin's fuel planning
page.

--
Peter

Old July 14th 05, 02:53 PM
Michelle P

THe 430/530 needs and ARINC interface. The KLN90B will take either. It
the current interface is ARINC you are ok. If it is and RS-232 you need
a new airdata computer.
Shadin ADC-200 is RS-232 the ADC-2000 is ARINC and RS-232.
Michelle

Old July 15th 05, 02:59 AM
Jon Kraus

The Shadin must also have the ability to query the 430 (RS-232). Some
models have "receive" data but not "talk" ability. The Shadin also must
have a software version of 60.01.72 or higher. We just went through this
on a Shadin Mini-flow unit we purchased off Ebay.

Jon Kraus
'70 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old July 15th 05, 05:51 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jon Kraus wrote:

The Shadin must also have the ability to query the 430 (RS-232). Some
models have "receive" data but not "talk" ability.Â*Â*TheÂ*ShadinÂ*alsoÂ*must
have a software version of 60.01.72 or higher. We just went through this
on a Shadin Mini-flow unit we purchased off Ebay.

We've a Shadin Microflow. Is this software-upgradable, and - if so - how
does one determine the version of software installed?

The specs in the user's manual (all I have at the moment) indicate an RS-232
output "if installed" that is compatible with a KLN-88 or KLN-90.

- Andrew

Old July 16th 05, 01:57 AM
Jon Kraus

snip

We've a Shadin Microflow. Is this software-upgradable, and - if so - how
does one determine the version of software installed?

Diagnostic software is built into the system. To activate it, press the
ENTER/TEST button. All of the digits will be sequentially on in a
rotating pattern for ten seconds. If the test is successful, the word
“Good” will appear in the display window for three seconds. If the test
is not successful, the word “bAd” and an error message identifying the
error will be displayed. In such case, the unit will cease to function
and must be considered unserviceable until corrective action is taken.

At the end of the test routine the system will display the following:

1. The K-factor for the flow transducer in the left window, and the
display units (ie; gal, P5.8, P6.7) in the right window. Note: In the
twin engine models the K-factor for the right engine appears in the
right window of the next display screen.

2. Lt ( ): Loran or GPS type appears in the left window (without signal,
will display ‘LOF’).

3. The distance to waypoint or destination is displayed as shown on the
Loran-C or GPS receiver to check the Data Interface Integrity (not
available without signal).

4. “FUL” appears in the left window and the maximum usable fuel in the
right window.

5. Software Version.

6. If the system cannot read the navigation receiver data, “Lbd” will
display in the right window.

Good luck. Mine doesn't talk to our 430. You can ask Shadin Tech
support if the software is upgradeable. Here is their number:

800-388-2849

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

JPI Data Format and Conversion Josh Piloting 4 June 13th 05 04:20 AM
spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Fuel dump switch in homebuilt Jay Home Built 36 December 5th 03 02:21 AM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Hot weather and autogas? Rich S. Home Built 33 July 30th 03 11:25 PM