A380 captain's pay

Old May 31st 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default A380 captain's pay

On May 25, 8:24 am, Andrew Sarangan wrote:
On May 25, 10:27 am, Kingfish wrote:

Hummer drivers must be smarter than Geo Metro drivers.

Hummers don't require more experienced drivers (maybe they should
though). However, driving an 18 wheel rig requires more experience
than driving an in-town delivery truck and the pay reflects that.

-Robert

Old May 31st 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On 29 May 2007 16:03:55 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

On May 27, 8:13 pm, "Roger (K8RI)" wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2007 15:22:00 GMT, John Theune
wrote:

Kingfish wrote:
Interesting article here on the arbitration case between Singapore
Airlines and its pilots. The court ruled SIA must pay A380 captains
more than 747 captains. Duh? If it's bigger, heavier and has more
seats that should be a no-brainer IMHO, unless of course the airline
is trying to contain labor costs. I was amazed to see their monthly
base pay of $10k for 747 captains. $120k/yr to fly a 747? Even
allowing for per diem and other stuff, SWA's 737 captains make a lot
more than that...

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...court-rules-si...

Pay is always based on the location of the job. Software engineers in
the US make 75K but in Bangalore they make 5K. Why would it be

They took a pay cut? My late cousin was making considerably more than
that 10 years ago. That too depended on what you were doing and where.
I understood that a lot of pilots flying the "big iron" have taken
some serious pay cuts in the past few years.

Software engineers who are still using skills from 1995 are probably
making 75K. If you aren't attending conferences (like Java One, etc)
and going to training at least once a year you can't expect to make
much more.

That pretty much stands to reason and isn't just true in the software
business.

My point is we were making more than that back then and if keeping up
I'd expect to be making much more. However, I'm retired and making
much less at least as far as my pension goes.

-Robert

Old May 31st 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Robert M. Gary wrote:
However, driving an 18 wheel rig requires more experience
than driving an in-town delivery truck and the pay reflects that.

As well as the license. Just like flying, there are also additional
endorsements for hazmat, oversize, tandem, etc...

I'll bet the average truck driver makes better money than the average
non-airline pilot. 8^(
Old May 31st 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On May 31, 4:36 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
However, driving an 18 wheel rig requires more experience
than driving an in-town delivery truck and the pay reflects that.

As well as the license. Just like flying, there are also additional
endorsements for hazmat, oversize, tandem, etc...

I'll bet the average truck driver makes better money than the average
non-airline pilot. 8^(

Yes, in fact if there is one industry in the U.S. that is yelling for
people to come work for them with good pay and little experience, its
trucking. When I was in college many of my friends drove tomatoes
during summer break. Back in the early 90's they were paying almost
$20/hr for zero experience 20 year olds. The trucking companies had
their own DMV examiners on staff and would train you (free) and sign
you off in a week and you were driving a double rig the next day. From
everything I've heard the trucking industry is even more desperate
now.

-Robert

Old May 31st 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article . com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On May 31, 4:36 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
[...]

Trucking is the preferred job of Somali immigrants.