Rounded elevator counterbalance leading edges

Old October 15th 03, 01:10 AM
Ed Wischmeyer

Default Rounded elevator counterbalance leading edges

Anybody know of a reference on this on the web, or (gasp) even in print?
I know that there are some supposed advantages to this, as opposed to
having a squared off leading edge which fairs in perfectly when the
elevator is perfectly aligned with the stabilizer.

thanks

Ed Wischmeyer
Old October 15th 03, 03:10 AM
Ernest Christley

Ed Wischmeyer wrote:
Anybody know of a reference on this on the web, or (gasp) even in print?
I know that there are some supposed advantages to this, as opposed to
having a squared off leading edge which fairs in perfectly when the
elevator is perfectly aligned with the stabilizer.

thanks

Ed Wischmeyer

Don't have a reference, but just think about it...the nose of the plane
is designed heavy in case of stall, so the elevator spends most of the
time slightly elevated (pushing the nose up). Having it fair perfectly
in a state that the plane rarely sees wouldn't be advantageous, would it?

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,

Old October 15th 03, 04:41 AM
Morgans

"Ed Wischmeyer" wrote in message
Anybody know of a reference on this on the web, or (gasp) even in print?
I know that there are some supposed advantages to this, as opposed to
having a squared off leading edge which fairs in perfectly when the
elevator is perfectly aligned with the stabilizer.

thanks

Ed Wischmeyer

The part I remember reading was, is that a rounded one lessens the "nibble".
--
Jim in NC

Old October 16th 03, 12:40 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:10:57 -0700, Ed Wischmeyer
wrote:

Anybody know of a reference on this on the web, or (gasp) even in print?
I know that there are some supposed advantages to this, as opposed to
having a squared off leading edge which fairs in perfectly when the
elevator is perfectly aligned with the stabilizer.

thanks

Ed Wischmeyer

Ed ol' sausage
Darrol Stinton's book has one diagram with one part related to
elevator profiles for flutter resistance. has a rounded edge slightly
proud of the wing surface to promote flow reattachment.
it aint strictly what you were asking but may be the sort of thing a
fuzzy memory would refer back to.
The Design of the Aeroplane is the book.
edition 1 has the diagram on page 444
edition 2 has the diagram on page 440.

Stealth Pilot