Frequency pair

Old July 22nd 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
thejim

Default Frequency pair

Can someone explain me what do we mean by the term frequency pairing?
I met the term in an avionics book.The phrase is the following;
The DME interrogation and reply frequency are paired with VOR
frequency.
Thank you

Old July 22nd 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

That's it, just an assignment, so that when you tune the VOR
or ILS the DME tunes to the correct frequency.

The DME had to be tuned independently before they
established pairings.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

oups.com...

Old July 23rd 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

thejim wrote:
Can someone explain me what do we mean by the term frequency pairing?
I met the term in an avionics book.The phrase is the following;
The DME interrogation and reply frequency are paired with VOR
frequency.
Thank you

VOR's are in the VHF band (108-118 mHz approx)
DME's are in the UHF band (up in the 400's mHZ)

When you tune a DME, the VHF frequency you enter on the device (or have
channeled to it from the nav) is a paired frequency, established years
ago by international convention.

Dave
Old July 23rd 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Noooo...

VORs (plural, not possessive) are in the VHF band (108-118 MHz. exactly)
Glideslopes are in the UHF band (325 MHz. or so)
DMEs are in L band (1000 MHz or so)

Jim

nk.net...

Old July 23rd 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 07:20:16 GMT, Dave S
wrote:

thejim wrote:
Can someone explain me what do we mean by the term frequency pairing?
I met the term in an avionics book.The phrase is the following;
The DME interrogation and reply frequency are paired with VOR
frequency.
Thank you

VOR's are in the VHF band (108-118 mHz approx)
DME's are in the UHF band (up in the 400's mHZ)

When you tune a DME, the VHF frequency you enter on the device (or have
channeled to it from the nav) is a paired frequency, established years
ago by international convention.

Dave

It's even more complex than it first looks:

There are 200 VHF channels allocated for NAV/DME of which 40 are also
paired with the ILS. That means when you tune to a VHF NAV frequency
you also tune the DME transmitter, DME receiver and ILS receiver. Each
part of the system uses a separate range of frequencies but for
simplicity selecting one automatically selects the rest.

These a

108-117.95MHz VOR/LOC
1041-1150MHz DME Transmitter
978-1213MHz DME Receiver
328-336 MHz Glideslope Receiver
(Glideslope selected by the VHF range up to 111.95MHz)

Being mere pilots all we need to know is when you tune the NAV
everything else should follow as it is 'paired'.

David
Old July 24th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Thanks Jim...

I know I can count on you to keep me straight when I fudge radio stuff a
little bit.

Dave

RST Engineering wrote:
Noooo...

VORs (plural, not possessive) are in the VHF band (108-118 MHz. exactly)
Glideslopes are in the UHF band (325 MHz. or so)
DMEs are in L band (1000 MHz or so)

Jim

nk.net...

Old July 29th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

RST Engineering wrote:
Noooo...

VORs (plural, not possessive) are in the VHF band (108-118 MHz. exactly)
Glideslopes are in the UHF band (325 MHz. or so)
DMEs are in L band (1000 MHz or so)

Actually, the apostrophe is NOT incorrect here if you consider VOR
to be a grouping of letters (abbreviation) rather than a acronym
(a word made out of the abbreviation). Certainly DME is not an
acronym. The rules of usage allow don't really favor one or the
other.
Old July 29th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

Actually, the apostrophe is NOT incorrect here if you consider VOR
to be a grouping of letters (abbreviation) rather than a acronym
(a word made out of the abbreviation). Certainly DME is not an
acronym. The rules of usage allow don't really favor one or the
other.

???

VOR and DME are both acronyms (VOR being a compound
acronym).

VOR - Very High Frequency Omni-directional Range
DME - Distance Measuring Equipment

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old July 29th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_2_]

Bob Noel wrote:

In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

Actually, the apostrophe is NOT incorrect here if you consider VOR
to be a grouping of letters (abbreviation) rather than a acronym
(a word made out of the abbreviation). Certainly DME is not an
acronym. The rules of usage allow don't really favor one or the
other.

???

VOR and DME are both acronyms (VOR being a compound
acronym).

No. How do you pronounce "DME" as a word? "NASA" is an acronym. "RADAR"
is an acronym. DME is not, although it is an abbreviation.

VOR - Very High Frequency Omni-directional Range
DME - Distance Measuring Equipment

Abbreviations, not acronyms.

Old July 29th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article , John
wrote:

VOR and DME are both acronyms (VOR being a compound
acronym).

No. How do you pronounce "DME" as a word? "NASA" is an acronym. "RADAR"
is an acronym. DME is not, although it is an abbreviation.

VOR - Very High Frequency Omni-directional Range
DME - Distance Measuring Equipment

Abbreviations, not acronyms.

My dictionary doesn't say anything about pronouncing an acronym as a word.

Abbreviation: a shortened form of a word or phrase used for brevity

Acronym: A word formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the
successive parts or major parts of a compound term.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the