Will the new government have any effect on GA?

Old November 13th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Default Will the new government have any effect on GA?

My voting decision was influenced in large part on which candidates
supported GA. I called each candidate's office and asked for their
views on GA and ATC privatization.

I was wondering what people think about how GA will be affected by the
new government, on things like ATC privatization, user fees,
presidential TFRs, Washington ADIZ etc.. Were these issues the creation
of the previous government, or do they transcend politics and are here
to stay regardless of whoever is in power? Is there any hope that
things will return to what they were before 2000 (except fuel price, of
course)?

Old November 13th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Only winning the war on terror will return aviation to
pre-9/11 status. Furthermore, the Democrats rarely return
power since seeking more power is their goal in life.
I look at a candidates position on the Second Amendment
first and aviation secondly. Support for private arms is a
great way to determine how that person will approach all
issues. IMHO.

I think we are screwed for at least 2 years.

ups.com...

Old November 13th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote:
My voting decision was influenced in large part on which candidates
supported GA. I called each candidate's office and asked for their
views on GA and ATC privatization.

I'm amazed that you put GA at the top of your issues list. I don't know
where you fit into the political spectrum (nor do I really care), but
consider the following issues:

* Foreign policy
* Terrorism
* Economic policy
* Energy policy
* Abortion
* Environmental policy
* Education
* Health care

Would you have really voted for a candidate whose views on the above issues
were contrary to yours just because they supported GA?
Old November 13th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
Only winning the war on terror will return aviation to
pre-9/11 status. Furthermore, the Democrats rarely return
power since seeking more power is their goal in life.
I look at a candidates position on the Second Amendment
first and aviation secondly. Support for private arms is a
great way to determine how that person will approach all
issues. IMHO.

I think we are screwed for at least 2 years.

I never understood the connection between aviation and guns. A good way
to assess this is to find out how many AOPA members are also NRA
members, or vice versa. I would guess that there is very little overlap.

Old November 13th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Roy Smith wrote:
"Andrew Sarangan" wrote:
My voting decision was influenced in large part on which candidates
supported GA. I called each candidate's office and asked for their
views on GA and ATC privatization.

I'm amazed that you put GA at the top of your issues list. I don't know
where you fit into the political spectrum (nor do I really care), but
consider the following issues:

* Foreign policy
* Terrorism
* Economic policy
* Energy policy
* Abortion
* Environmental policy
* Education
* Health care

Would you have really voted for a candidate whose views on the above issues
were contrary to yours just because they supported GA?

No, I didn't say GA was the only issue. GA was one of the issues, among
others, some of which you have listed above. Others you have not listed
are the war in Iraq and political corruption.

The candidates position on these other issues are well known because
they talk about it in public, and is on their websites. You don't know
their position on GA unless you call them and ask. AOPA had a list on
their website on candidates who support GA, but I found some of that
information to be inaccurate.

Old November 13th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
My voting decision was influenced in large part on which candidates
supported GA. I called each candidate's office and asked for their
views on GA and ATC privatization.

I was wondering what people think about how GA will be affected by the
new government, on things like ATC privatization, user fees,
presidential TFRs, Washington ADIZ etc.. Were these issues the creation
of the previous government, or do they transcend politics and are here
to stay regardless of whoever is in power? Is there any hope that
things will return to what they were before 2000 (except fuel price, of
course)?

Hard to say as few politicians actually do after they are elected what
they said before being elected. I'll venture a guess that things may be
a little less restrictive on the security side under the Democrats, but
I think they will be more likely to hit us in the pocket book with user
fees.

At least until the next domestic terrorist attack which will become much
more likely once we pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan prematurely, which
likely will happen with the Democrats in control of Congress.

Matt
Old November 13th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Jim Macklin wrote:

Only winning the war on terror will return aviation to
pre-9/11 status. Furthermore, the Democrats rarely return
power since seeking more power is their goal in life.
I look at a candidates position on the Second Amendment
first and aviation secondly. Support for private arms is a
great way to determine how that person will approach all
issues. IMHO.

I think we are screwed for at least 2 years.

I never understood the connection between aviation and guns. A good way
to assess this is to find out how many AOPA members are also NRA
members, or vice versa. I would guess that there is very little overlap.

The connection is liberty, pure and simple. Liberty allows us to fly
private aircraft relatively unencumbered (not so true in the northeast
anymore unfortunately). And liberty allows us to possess firearms
privately. More importantly, however, is possessing firearms privately
helps us preserve liberty. They are all intimately related in my opinion.

As to the AOPA/NRA overlap, I have no idea the stats there. I have been
a life member of the NRA for probably 20 years and a member for probably
34 years in total. I've been an AOPA member for 28 years.

Matt
Old November 13th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Guns and the right to keep and bear arms are matters of
individual freedom. Aviation is about freedom. NASCAR is
about freedom. Golf is about freedom.
A Congressperson who supports, really supports, civil rights
understands that the right to keep and bear arms is an
individual right to self-defense, self-determination and a
guarantee of political power.

It is a test, like a "little moron" joke is a test of
American citizenship. Americans understand the humor.

oups.com...

Old November 13th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

we agree on that.

Old November 13th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

I think the connection is demonstrated in the liberal belief that any
problem can be cured with 1) more federal (they really mean my and your)
dollars, and 2) with more legislation. So we have 20,000 plus gun laws.
Still have a problem? Just pass some more. Lather, rinse repeat. Have
problems with terrorists hijacking airliners? Have every GA pilot file a
flight plan in the ADIZ. Still worried? Ban GA flights over Chicago.

Most of this is feel good nonsense for soccer moms who don't have the
inclination or ability to use reason. Washington DC's gun laws forbid
anyone not named Carl Rowan from personal possession of a handgun, but you'd
better watch where you walk after dark. "Shall issue" jurisdictions have
shown a decrease in gun violence because while criminals aren't particularly
moral creatures, they aren't stupid. If I am going to prey upon others, do I
want to choose one who I know will be unarmed, or one who might be able to
fight back?

The ADIZ stuff has been beaten to death here and elsewhere. It's now mostly
just a trap for the unwary and unlucky. I believe it adds nothing to the
safety of GA pilots or our earthbound bretheren. But it sure makes you pay
attention to the health and well-being of your transponder.

As for the election, I think this is the beginning of the end of America's
leadership role in world affairs. In the next two years, Syria and
Hizballah will invade Israel and overthrow the government in Lebanon, Iran
will move to control Iraq, Turkey will also move into northern Iraq. The
current Iraqi leadership will move its assets to Switzerland and abdicate.
China will invade and take over Taiwan. The United States and Britain will
suffer more terrorist attacks domestically and against our interests abroad.
North Korea and Pakistan will provide the means. "We" will stand by
watching and complaining, but our rhetoric will be unmatched in the history
of the world.