KAP140 problems

Old August 20th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Cary

Default KAP140 problems

Yesterday I went out for some IMC practice, and had several problems
with my autopilot. The first thing I noticed is that while in altitude
hold and heading mode, whenever ATC gave me a heading change the
KAP140 had a hard time maintaining altitude. The VSI would go up or
down 600 to 800 fpm during the turn. When flying straight and level it
maintained altitude just fine. The other abnormality occured while on
an ILS approach. I intercepted the localizer fine and it was tracking
the localizer without a problem. When I was a couple miles out from
the FAF and the GS was one dot high, I lowered the gear and flaps as
usual. The KAP read GS (armed). However, after passing the FAF the
plane did not descend and the GS went full scale low. I disconnected
the AP and hand flew the plane, but the approach was not pretty (40 kt
tail winds didn't help). Anyone else see similar issues with a KAP140?
I would go up and test the AP again tomorrow, but King Bush will be
here and there is a TFR over my airport!
Cary

Old August 20th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I would go up and test the AP again tomorrow, but King Bush will be
here and there is a TFR over my airport!

Hey, Bush can't be king until Daley abdicates the throne...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 20th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
NW_Pilot

Sounds like operator error, Are you new at using the 140? If so it looks
like some one needs to learn to use the rudder in turns and how about useage
of prop and throttle controls also on approch? I can see it now elevator
trim stall on approch or at missed!

oups.com...

Old August 20th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke[_2_]

"NW_Pilot" wrote:

Sounds like operator error,

No it doesn't. That's a sick KAP 140.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 20th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
I would go up and test the AP again tomorrow, but King Bush will be here
and there is a TFR over my airport!

Hey, Bush can't be king until Daley abdicates the throne...

The king's realm

http://www.aopa.org/images/whatsnew/...ams/7-3520.gif
Mostly an overlay of (MSP) Minneapolis/St Paul Class B

Paul-Mont

Old August 21st 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
NW_Pilot

Could be that also! But doubtful.... The KAP 140's I have used don't control
Rudder nither Power/Prop Settings!

Old August 21st 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Cary

While I will not rule out the possiblilty of operator error, I think
this is not likely. I have 98 hours in this airplane (a Diamond Twin
Star) and about 1300 hours total time, I have never seen this happen
with my KAP140 (and I have flown over 50 approaches with it). The KAP
does not control the rudder, and the turns were well coordinated
thanks to my rudder input. Throttle was set to 60% power which is what
I need for flying the descent on the ILS, and there is no prop control
in the FADEC system.

Cary

On Aug 20, 5:34 pm, "NW_Pilot"
wrote:
Sounds like operator error, Are you new at using the 140? If so it looks
like some one needs to learn to use the rudder in turns and how about useage
of prop and throttle controls also on approch? I can see it now elevator
trim stall on approch or at missed!

KAP140 Autopilot Weirdness Brien K. Meehan Owning 18 September 11th 06 07:06 PM
GPS Problems near CHD.. Dan Piloting 7 August 7th 06 10:46 PM
KAP140 autopilot and a KLN94 GPS question STICKMONKE Instrument Flight Rules 5 November 12th 05 04:06 AM
What??? No problems??? EDR Piloting 8 June 16th 04 10:37 PM
KAP140 Autopilot Details News Instrument Flight Rules 27 October 22nd 03 02:01 AM