Another first flight.

Old June 3rd 04, 01:08 AM
Paul Lee

Default Another first flight.

Happened today. Winds were kind and I took the chance. The 25 min flight
went fine, took off smoothly and touched down nicely without a bounce
inspite of 7kts cross wind.
There is some tweaking to be done; radio worked intermittently - lost
communications with traffic, but the standby airport rescue crew covered
for me; the engine was near top temperature limit at climb; and oil
temperature was high - at only 70F outside, maybe I need bigger oil cooler for
the Franklin? Any Franklin experts out there? Recommended oil cooler size?

Paul Lee, SQ2000 canard www.abri.com/sq2000
Old June 3rd 04, 01:42 AM
nauga

Paul Lee wrote...
Happened today.

Congratulations. Feels great, doesn't it?

Dave 'into the unknown' Hyde

Old June 3rd 04, 02:49 AM
Richard Lamb

Paul Lee wrote:

Happened today. Winds were kind and I took the chance. The 25 min flight
went fine, took off smoothly and touched down nicely without a bounce
inspite of 7kts cross wind.
There is some tweaking to be done; radio worked intermittently - lost
communications with traffic, but the standby airport rescue crew covered
for me; the engine was near top temperature limit at climb; and oil
temperature was high - at only 70F outside, maybe I need bigger oil cooler for
the Franklin? Any Franklin experts out there? Recommended oil cooler size?

Paul Lee, SQ2000 canard www.abri.com/sq2000

Welcome back to Earth, Paul!

Od curiousity, what did you build?

Richard
Old June 3rd 04, 05:24 AM
Jan Carlsson

Congratulations Paul !

Let us know how the propeller work when you don some more testing and
tweaking.

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

m...

Old June 3rd 04, 05:42 PM
Richard Lamb

Richard Riley wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 01:49:41 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

:Paul Lee wrote:
:
: -------------------------------------------
: Paul Lee, SQ2000 canard www.abri.com/sq2000
:
:
:Welcome back to Earth, Paul!
:
:Od curiousity, what did you build?
:
:
:Richard

That would be an SQ2000 canard, Richard...

I'm behind the curve on that one, RIchard.
Do you have some pics posted somewheres?

Richard
Old June 4th 04, 12:06 AM
Richard Lamb

Ron Mirken wrote:

In article , Richard Lamb says...

wrote:

:Paul Lee wrote:
:
: -------------------------------------------
: Paul Lee, SQ2000 canard www.abri.com/sq2000
:
:
:Welcome back to Earth, Paul!
:
:Od curiousity, what did you build?
:
:
:Richard

That would be an SQ2000 canard, Richard...

I'm behind the curve on that one, RIchard.
Do you have some pics posted somewheres?

Richard

You might take a look at http://www.abri.com/sq2000/

Ron

O-Tay! Thanks Ron.
I didn't recognize the name, but that shape certainly looks familiar...

Way to go, Richard Riley!
Old June 4th 04, 02:00 AM
Paul Lee

"Jan Carlsson" wrote in message ...
Congratulations Paul !

Let us know how the propeller work when you don some more testing and
tweaking.

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

Actually it worked fine for the short operating range I used this
time. At takeoff it had real good punch (or maybe it was the combo of
220HP engine, electronic ignition...) . And when I reached about 110
kts I had to increase the pitch to keep it from over revving. The
adjustment was smooth and short meaning it had plenty of pitch left
for higher speeds. I kept the RG down and went no more than 120 kts.

BYW the Dynon EFIS-D0 worked well too - agreed with the backup
horizon, speed and altitude meters.
Old June 4th 04, 06:02 AM
Jan Carlsson

Good to hear it worked well.

I will make a Clarification;

Don't get the analyze I made earlyer the wrong way,

I am sure there are other props that will be more effective, even an fixed
pitch prop can be better at specific design speeds, but the overall
performance will gain from the adjustable prop, specially on high
performance plane like this beauty, it is all about speed range.

Jan Carlsson

om...