US ELT installation issues for 2006 contests - clarification??

Old December 29th 05, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US ELT installation issues for 2006 contests - clarification??

Hi folks,

Reading through some previous emails on this leaves
me a little confused;

Here's what I *think* I understand;

1 Experimental gliders; ELT does not need to be TSO'd,
owner install OK but need A&P signoff (minor modification,
not maintenance)

2 Certified gliders; ELT must be TSO'd, A&P installed
& signed off. (minor modification)

So if my glider is experimental I can install a Filser
ELT myself and get it signed off, but if it is Certified
I Need a TSO'd unit (like Ameriking).

I also read that SSA does not require TSO'd ELT as
per 2005 rules but I didnt find any 2006 rules anywhere
to confirm the change.

Can the SRA/SSA confirm that a non-TSO's ELT is ok
for contests?

Thanks

Peter Deane (2T)

Old December 30th 05, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Peter,

What you can do to your experimental glider depends on the limitations
contained in your Ops Limitations (program letter or stack of papers
that goes with your airworthiness certificate). All experimental ops
limitations are not the same, new ones are different from old ones and
it's best to check your limitations to see who can do what maintenance,
or if it is addressed at all.

If it's not addressed at all (like my pre 1993 ops limits) then your
statement about experimental is correct.

Not sure where you'll find a non-TSO'd ELT though, an aviation-type,
impact-activated ELT is always going to have a TSO.

There, I said the always word, that should liven this thread up a bit
;-)

Jim

Old December 30th 05, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Another thing,

Be careful what you guys buy on e-bay, there's a few AD's on ELT's like
Narco, Artex, Leigh, Pathfinder etc, all have AD's on one of their
models or batteries or whatever.

If you install an ELT with an AD against it in your experimental
glider, it still applies, regardless of what it's installed in. You
will still have to accomplish the requirements of the AD. Experimental
gliders are exempt from Part 43, not Part 39.

Jim

Old December 30th 05, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jim,

Yep, the "always" word just jumped up and bit you.

Filser makes the ELT-2 that appears to be aimed directly at gliders
(European, I would assume). It's non-TSO'd, but is an aviation-type,
5-G activated 121.5/243.0 ELT in a nice orange case. Comes with a
little rubber ducky antenna, and an ARM/OFF/ON lever locked toggle
switch. Can have a remote activation switch attached if desired -
which would pretty much make it identical to the old TSO'd US 121.5
ELTs, I believe.

Paul Remde used to carry them (that's where I got mine). Wings and
Wheels has them now.

I just got through installing mine on my removable battery tray, which
has a (hopefully) greater than 5 g attachment to the glider. Wonder if
that means I don't need an A&P sign-off, since my LS6 is experimental,
and it's not a permanent installation in the glider - I take the tray
out of the glider every day to recharge the battery?

Anyway, the Filser fits the need for an ELT for contests, and if backed
up with a personal PLB attached to your parachute harness, would
approach military levels of rescue equipment!

Check it out.

Kirk
66

Old December 30th 05, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yep, the "always" word just jumped up and bit you.

That didn't take long - happens every time!!

Wonder if that means I don't need an A&P sign-off, since my LS6 is
experimental, and it's not a permanent installation in the glider - I
take the tray out of the glider every day to recharge the battery?

I think you can do whatever you want with your ELT in the privacy of
your own glider, you never know how one Fed or another will interpret
the rule. Best plan is to avoid them at all cost.

I meant - always - avoid them at all cost! ;-)

Jim

wrote:
[...]

US ELT installation issues for 2006 contests - clarification?? Peter Deane Soaring 0 December 29th 05 10:07 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
How much could I get for these back issues? Aaron Smith Home Built 8 December 15th 03 12:07 PM