Cirrus vs. 182

Old July 22nd 04, 08:31 AM
Thomas Borchert

C,

Ah, well I guess everything it says is untrue then.

Again, the key issue here is that this advertising comes in the
disguise of a quasi-objective comparison. THAT is the point.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 22nd 04, 08:56 AM
Thomas Borchert

Andrew,

If you're careful about what you believe, these can be useful. Think of
them as a source of questions rather than answers.

I like that.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 22nd 04, 01:34 PM
Michael

Thomas Borchert wrote
If you
are prone to spinning airplanes during the turn from base to final in the
pattern, please don't buy a Cirrus.

Pleas don't buy ANY airplane, in that case. None are any more recoverable
than the other.

Not true. I know a person who recovered from a low altitude (about
300 ft) unintentional spin on final, and there are others. None of
them did it in a 170+ kt IFR cruiser, though.

Michael
Old July 22nd 04, 02:20 PM
Thomas Borchert

Michael,

Not true. I know a person who recovered from a low altitude (about
300 ft) unintentional spin on final, and there are others. None of
them did it in a 170+ kt IFR cruiser, though.

Well, time to read the fine print: The Cirrus takes 800 feet or so to
recover _from a fully developed spin_. I doubt any other aircraft will
take less altitude. It's very unlikely that 300 feet recovery was from
a fully developed spin.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 22nd 04, 03:35 PM
C J Campbell

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Mike,

If you
are prone to spinning airplanes during the turn from base to final in

the
pattern, please don't buy a Cirrus.

Pleas don't buy ANY airplane, in that case. None are any more recoverable
than the other.

That is just plane silly (sorry). :-)

Seriously, are you suggesting that roll rate and other maneuverability
factors are equal in all airplanes? I am certain that it is possible to
recover from even an inverted spin from 500 feet in some airplanes. I would
bet that it is even possible in a Cessna 172. I haven't tried it, but in
such a situation I would add rudder opposite the spin, push the yoke forward
to break the stall, add power if not nose down and the engine is still
running, otherwise reduce power until the nose comes up. Once the stall is
broken then roll wings level and let the engine restart (it probably will
quit if you are inverted). Of course, I would be miffed that I managed to
get myself into a skidding base to final in the first place.

Old July 22nd 04, 04:59 PM
Maule Driver

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

[...]

No you are plane silly. I know how to spin. I like spins. I know how to
recover. Just like the FAA, I slowly realized that spin recovery has little
to do with spin danger for non acro operations.

This past Saturday a pilot lost his life a few hundred yards from my house
in a stall spin accident. Since the a/c was an extremely manueverable
model, it entered the spin quickly. The fact that it occurred about 2
wingspans above the ground made recovery difficult.

The point is *not spinning* in normal ops.

Old July 22nd 04, 05:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

C,

Yep, and all that in 500 ft. Nice of you to be on the forum, Superman.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 22nd 04, 05:00 PM
Jack

Michael wrote:

I know a person who recovered from a low altitude (about
300 ft) unintentional spin on final....

I suspect you know someone who _claims_ to have done so.

Jack
Old July 22nd 04, 06:07 PM
TTA Cherokee Driver

Maule Driver wrote:

This past Saturday a pilot lost his life a few hundred yards from my house
in a stall spin accident. Since the a/c was an extremely manueverable
model, it entered the spin quickly. The fact that it occurred about 2
wingspans above the ground made recovery difficult.

Do you by any chance live at Lake Ridge Aero in North Carolina? This
sounds a lot like an accident that happened there this past weekend.

Cirrus for Duats Charles Piloting 2 July 17th 04 11:16 PM
Cirrus SR22 Purchase advice needed. C J Campbell Piloting 122 May 10th 04 11:30 PM
Cirrus attracting pilots with 'The Wrong Stuff'? Jay Honeck Piloting 73 May 1st 04 04:35 AM
Cirrus report Cub Driver Piloting 14 April 30th 04 06:05 PM
Cirrus Airframe Life Limits Dave Piloting 16 April 27th 04 05:58 PM