OLC - Action Needed

Old April 3rd 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default OLC - Action Needed

Response from an email I sent to Dennis..

We have a team of volunteers working on the problem
with the older Cambridge loggers and the OLC. They
tell me that they think they have a fix identified
and in the works....so, stand by. Our goal is to make
it easy for everyone to participate in OLC

Old April 3rd 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Stewart Kissel wrote:
Response from an email I sent to Dennis..

We have a team of volunteers working on the problem
with the older Cambridge loggers and the OLC. They
tell me that they think they have a fix identified
and in the works....so, stand by. Our goal is to make
it easy for everyone to participate in OLC

Why not go back to last year's rule, which is that a file that fails
security gets a red mark, but still counts in the standings? If this
was done retroactively, it would change around the standings some, but
the new standings would correctly reflect the flights made this OLC year.
Old April 4th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Please be polite when communicating your desires and concerns to the
OLC folks.

If you get really frustrated you can ask for a refund.

2NO

Old April 4th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gentle, but persistent urging to fix the interface makes the most sense
to me. The community is too small to support multiple OLC's.

That said, there are some real and persistent problems. In the past
two weeks, I've had a 300k plus flight up the Owens scored at 84 k. On
Saturday I posted a flight and had the validation fail. I removed it
and went through EXACTLY the same process and it took the second time.

I'm sure these and other problems can be fixed. Also, it would seem to
me that the programmers at SeeYou, StrePla and WinPilot would have some
incentive to make their products interface seamlessly with the OLC;
which ever one of them succeeds would, IMHO, have a real competitive
advantage.

Ray Warshaw
1LK

Old April 4th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

tuno,

Your email suggest that the OLC is free. It definitely is not! Ask
the manufacture's and software developers whose logos are on their
site. I believe the going rate is $1500 to $2000 per year or maybe $0
depending on who you are. They are also charging the SSA a fee.

Richard

Old April 4th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Richard,

Your email suggest that the OLC is free.

It does, and it is.

It definitely is not!

You are surely smoking something good!

OLC is like a free newspaper. You don't pay a thing to be its consumer.
The advertisers who pay to make it possible to so as a voluntary
investment, for which they hope to get a return.

I did something similar to OLC for years and the reason I quit was
because of whining crybabies who complained too much about what they
weren't paying a dime for. I love the OLC and I don't want to see the
same thing happen to them.

~ted/2NO

Old April 4th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Check my original comment, it says "If you get really frustrated you
can ask for a refund". I was making no direct comment about whether the
OLC folks are in it for the money; I was attempting to suggest that one
shouldn't complain carelessly about what one gets for free, or else you
run the risk of chasing it away, and you end up with zilch, zip, zero,
nada.

I viewed Ian's original complaint as a little borderline -- valid,
potentially, but lacking in technical detail and approaching the "wah,
wah, wah!" tone a little too closely for my comfort.

Long live OLC!

~ted/2NO